Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Its time to upgrade the clutch!

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2016 | 02:38 AM
On The Tree

Default Its time to upgrade the clutch!

Hey, guys, I am looking to upgrade my clutch on my 98 Camaro SS. Once I get the car tuned it will be running around 500-550 hp/tq. By the end of 2017, I want to be running 700 hp/tq so I need something future proofed. From my research, it seems like Mcleod and Monster are the best ways to go. I need a clutch with the least amount of noise and chatter. The car must still be comfortable to drive because I drive this through bay area traffic quite often. I think I will be going with a twin disc mainly for the comfort of driving. So here are my questions. Should I purchase Mcleod or Monster based on my criteria? Should I purchase a new slave cylinder even though I do not think there is anything wrong with mine? Is a light weight fly wheel worth it for a street car? the lighter flywheel is only 10 lbs lighter. Would that really make a big difference? Do I need a bleeder? Why are there different length bleeders? Since I am new to this do you guys recommend a speed bleeder for ease of install? Do I need a new master cylinder even though mine seems fine? What else needs to be swapped when upgrading the clutch? Thanks!

Last edited by SSV8; 11-09-2016 at 11:07 AM.
Old 11-09-2016 | 10:11 AM
TECH Veteran
15 Year Member

what kind of car/year?
Old 11-09-2016 | 11:08 AM
On The Tree

Sorry forgot to add that in the op. It's a 98 Camaro SS
Old 11-09-2016 | 12:20 PM
TECH Veteran
15 Year Member

The McLeod RST twin has organic disc which will have smoother engagement. Per McLeod use stock hydraulics (not a larger bore MC)

The RXT has more aggressive ceramic disc which is more suited for the 1/4 mi use. You can still use it on the street but chatter can be a problem unless you find the ideal rpm clutch release technique.
Old 11-09-2016 | 06:46 PM
FormerVendor

Hi SS, our DYAD clutch seems like it would fit your ticket nicely. Its potential holding capacity is much higher than what you are shooting for, which means it will last you a long time, and will not need to be replaced if you get the itch to mod more later on.

We've also designed the DYAD in such a way that you do not sacrifice any driveability whatsoever. It's smooth engagement and light pedal pressure make it feel almost like a stock clutch!
Old 11-10-2016 | 02:41 PM
On The Tree

So I can use the stock slave and master cylinder that is in the car already? I am pulling towards monster clutches mainly because of the price and I don't see much negative comments about them. Anyone who's tried DYAD want to give me some input on that clutch?
Old 11-10-2016 | 07:31 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by SSV8
So I can use the stock slave and master cylinder that is in the car already?
Yes you can. It's preferred to install a speed bleeder at the same time to make your life a LOT easier later on. A new slave is good too if you have the budget for it. It's not fun to drop the trans again if it fails down the road.

We know quite a few people here on the forum running on our DYAD, so hopefully they can chime in with their experience.
Old 11-11-2016 | 09:15 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by SSV8
Hey, guys, I am looking to upgrade my clutch on my 98 Camaro SS. Once I get the car tuned it will be running around 500-550 hp/tq. By the end of 2017, I want to be running 700 hp/tq so I need something future proofed. From my research, it seems like Mcleod and Monster are the best ways to go. I need a clutch with the least amount of noise and chatter. The car must still be comfortable to drive because I drive this through bay area traffic quite often. I think I will be going with a twin disc mainly for the comfort of driving. So here are my questions. Should I purchase Mcleod or Monster based on my criteria? Should I purchase a new slave cylinder even though I do not think there is anything wrong with mine? Is a light weight fly wheel worth it for a street car? the lighter flywheel is only 10 lbs lighter. Would that really make a big difference? Do I need a bleeder? Why are there different length bleeders? Since I am new to this do you guys recommend a speed bleeder for ease of install? Do I need a new master cylinder even though mine seems fine? What else needs to be swapped when upgrading the clutch? Thanks!
The Monster LT1-S street twin is the best of both worlds, its rated for 700WHP/TQ and it does not sacrifice any drivability. You can use your stock slave, and all of our kits come with a new release bearing for your slave. However it does not hurt to change the slave while your there.

As far as a lightweight flywheel, if the car is going to be street driven or drag raced you want a heavier flywheel.

The you will not need a new master, unless your current one is leaking.

A bleeder makes life easier.

Give us a shout if you have any questions.

Quick Reply: Its time to upgrade the clutch!