Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Rebuilt "stage 2" T56, yoke interferes with tailshaft bushing

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 02:39 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rebuilt "stage 2" T56, yoke interferes with tailshaft bushing

So I had a T56 rebuilt locally here in DFW, TX about a year ago by a well known T56 builder. I brought him a disassembled core trans, he rebuilt with a few upgrades, I picked it up about 2 weeks later and immediately put in storage until the car was ready for it.

So I know i have no warranty because the warranty period was for 1 year, even though I've never used the thing.

Now the car was finally ready for the motor/trans swap so we installed motor/trans/ put fluid in etc etc.

Literally the last thing we did was try to install the driveshaft. Of course hindsight is 20/20 and I should have tested the yoke in the trans, but I've never had this problem before so it didn't occur to me.

But the driveshaft didn't fit! I have verified that the yoke is correct.

We tried a rubber mallet, but quickly noticed the dimensions were just TOO tight and it wouldn't go in all the way into the transmission. I actually had a to use a sledge on the yoke to remove it back out of the transmission.

So of course I did a bunch of research and found out about the great t56 tailshaft bushing problem.

I've tried to call the builder a few times today, but he's either not there or he's busy. I suspect there's not much he can (or is willing) to do for me at this point anyway.

Is there anyway for me to tell whether or not the bushing was honed already? I'd suspect not since my driveshaft doesn't fit.

I thought about pulling the tailshaft, honing the bushing and throwing it back together but I read from a very knowledgable T56 guy that once you remove the tailshaft, you have to re-measure and re-shim when you put it back together. To do so I have to remove the transmission. Which I don't want to do!

A lot of people say just hammer the DS in, let it clearance itself. But I'm afraid of ruining my transmission or DS, or both.

A lot of people say just pull the tailshaft, hone the tailshaft bushing, and throw it back together, don't bother measuring or re-shimming. But again, I don't want to ruin my transmission down the line when the shims are too lose.
Old 02-06-2017, 06:25 PM
Launching!

Ended up getting a hold of the builder, he recommended to pull the tailshaft housing and bring it to him along with my yoke and he'll make it right. He said since the transmission is on a fresh rebuild and already shimmed, when I re-install the tailshaft it'll be okay. If I was using a new or different tailshaft housing, then yes it'll have to be shimmed/measured again.
Old 02-06-2017, 11:01 PM

Received 1,836 Likes on 1,145 Posts

Sounds like a stand up builder
Old 02-10-2017, 11:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jason at TDP? If so, sounds about right, he's a super helpful guy.
Old 02-16-2017, 05:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah it sounds like you went to tdp, Jay and his crew stand behind their work. They are not going to argue about 1 year from sale or one year from install.
Old 02-16-2017, 06:15 PM
Launching!

Yeah, I got it done at Texas Drivetrain Performance. Jason is one of the nicest guys I've ever met. I dug out my original invoice when I brought him the tailshaft to fix the bushing and turned out my transmission was actually 1.5 years out from the rebuild even though I had never installed it. lol. I can't believe I had it sitting that long. he was looking it over and was like "wow, parts pricing sure has gone up since then!!" LOL.

Quick Reply: Rebuilt "stage 2" T56, yoke interferes with tailshaft bushing