Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

I think my stock clutch is starting to slip but... I only have 8,500 miles > wtf?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2004, 04:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default I think my stock clutch is starting to slip but... I only have 8,500 miles > wtf?

Car setup:
TR224, LT's, cat-back... all the usual.
Stock 275 tires, stock everything - I havn't touched the suspension and have only gone to the track for about 8 passes.

Here's what I felt:
I staged the car and planned to roll the car out, slipping the clutch and launching at about 2,200 rpms. I usually get about a 2.0-2.1 60' with that method, and like I've said before, I've only made about 8 passes and I know how to properly use a clutch on the street.

The car started to move and the engine started to rev as if I was getting some major wheel spin - I let off it and subsided. I shifted into 2nd, and it did it again. I've never broken the wheels loose in 2nd that much, and it just didn't have that tire-spin "feel". I ended up w/ a 2.4 60'

I brought the car back to the pits, cooled it down - it really smelled like clutch in there.
I tried running again and had a buddy watch my run - practically no tire spin and the clutch did the same thing... 2.45 60'

This is the only time I've ever felt the clutch slip... including up to when I just drove it tonight. Is there anything else that can be wrong with it? Are there any simple diagnostic tests I can do to be sure?

Sorry for the long post - this is just a little frustrating. I still have yet to break a 13.2 with my new setup.
Old 06-25-2004, 04:52 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by IrateTA
Car setup:
TR224, LT's, cat-back... all the usual.
Stock 275 tires, stock everything - I havn't touched the suspension and have only gone to the track for about 8 passes.

Here's what I felt:
I staged the car and planned to roll the car out, slipping the clutch and launching at about 2,200 rpms. I usually get about a 2.0-2.1 60' with that method, and like I've said before, I've only made about 8 passes and I know how to properly use a clutch on the street.

The car started to move and the engine started to rev as if I was getting some major wheel spin - I let off it and subsided. I shifted into 2nd, and it did it again. I've never broken the wheels loose in 2nd that much, and it just didn't have that tire-spin "feel". I ended up w/ a 2.4 60'

I brought the car back to the pits, cooled it down - it really smelled like clutch in there.
I tried running again and had a buddy watch my run - practically no tire spin and the clutch did the same thing... 2.45 60'

This is the only time I've ever felt the clutch slip... including up to when I just drove it tonight. Is there anything else that can be wrong with it? Are there any simple diagnostic tests I can do to be sure?

Sorry for the long post - this is just a little frustrating. I still have yet to break a 13.2 with my new setup.

Quick test to check the clutch. Put your parking brake on, throw it in first gear and slowly let the clutch out. Don't touch the gas. it should stall the motor with a good mount of clutch pedal left. If you're clutch is most of the way out of doesn't stall the motor, you've got problems. Also make sure you don't have an oil leak onto the clutch also because that will kill it.
Old 06-25-2004, 05:10 PM
Staging Lane

The stock clutch SUCKS, Its somthing like a 1600 pound
pressure plate,and the pressure plate is self adjusting.
Its made for more comfort not performance.
Old 06-25-2004, 07:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds like the clutch disk is toast. You must have slipped the hell out of it many different times to trash it that fast.
Old 06-25-2004, 11:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

LS1 clutches exhibit "Phantom Slip" sometimes. Try it again after it thoughly cools. Nobody knows what causes it, and we have had it happen with perfectly good clutches.

Example, both our Camaro and Z06 did the "phantom slip", but continued to sustain 4500 rpm+ launches on ET streets for many passes afterwards. One time Kat did a 5000 RPM launch and smoke BILLOWED out from under the car like it was on fire. 30 minutes later, I raced it into the 11's on a 1.7 60'. The clutch had 2000 miles on it, and was replaced at 12,000.
Old 06-26-2004, 01:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

Well, I know all about how NOT to mistreat a clutch... I was raised on standards and I'm meticulous about treating the clutch right - so I'm going with the phantom slip theory. Regardless, I think it might be a sign that I need to upgrade...
Old 06-26-2004, 02:14 AM
Teching In

Default Mcleod clutch?

Originally Posted by IrateTA
Well, I know all about how NOT to mistreat a clutch... I was raised on standards and I'm meticulous about treating the clutch right - so I'm going with the phantom slip theory. Regardless, I think it might be a sign that I need to upgrade...
Hey what's up man? What is your application? I might have just the right Mcleod setup for you at an unbeatable price. Let me know. Thanks

Quick Reply: I think my stock clutch is starting to slip but... I only have 8,500 miles > wtf?