Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Water in my T56?

Old 07-30-2017, 11:45 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water in my T56?

Today I decided to clean up a new T56 that I recently picked up. I sprayed it down with Super Clean, scrubbed away with some brushes, then rinsed it off with a hose. Repeated that same process a few times, then dried it off with compressed air for a bit. After 4 or 5 rounds of that process, it cleaned up pretty nice for the most part.

I did try to NOT spray the hose directly into the input or output shaft, but just read somewhere that even a few drops of water getting in the trans can wreak havoc. I might not have been as proactive as I should have to seal up the input and output shafts.

Im not sure if water got in or not. Is there something I should do to make sure there is no water in the trans?

Thanks in advance for the advice.
Old 07-31-2017, 03:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

you could drain fluid in a 1 gal jug and look to see if there is water separating from fluid (oil & fluid won't mix)

I would think it would be hard for water to get in unless you sprayed directly into input or output shaft
Old 09-01-2017, 07:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

put the trans tail shaft up, get a bunch of cheap trans fluid and fill it up. let it sit for a day and drain it out. a few drops of water isnt going to kill it. i wouldnt want water in mine but if it did get in there i would do what i mentioned. its not the end of the world. it would take a lot of water to get into the bearings and mess them up but next time put an old yoke in the tail housing and a shifter on top before you wash

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Water in my T56?