Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

2000 Trans Am Clutch Pedal Sits Very High

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 09:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2000 Trans Am Clutch Pedal Sits Very High

Hi, I recently bought a low milage 2000 Trans Am. One of the things that isn't right on it is that the clutch pedal sits very high, about t inches above the brake pedal. When pushing the pedal there's nothing happening for the first half of the pedal travel. Then it feels normal for the second half of the pedal travel down to the floor. So my question is, can this be adjusted, or repaired so the pedal sits at a normal hight, just a little above the brake pedal?
Old 08-04-2017, 06:47 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 352 Likes on 321 Posts

That sounds like the stock pedal and master cylinder.

If you upgrade to an aftermarket master cylinder (the Tick option seems to be the most popular) then the pedal will sit a little lower, you remove the clutch pedal return spring, (which is probably dangling broken from your pedal mount right now) there will be less dead travel, and the friction point will be tighter.
Old 08-05-2017, 03:48 PM

Received 1,851 Likes on 1,152 Posts

To add to above post --

Pedal height is a function of master cylinder and also the pp fingers. If new master doesn't fix it your clutch is worn.

As clutch wears, the fingers want to come out further and further. This raises pedal height. GM tried to compensate by including a self adjusting mechanism on the pressure plate, which is intended to keep the pedal height constant but causes other issues - or fails altogether.

So, if you try a new master and still have issue, start looking at clutches. If you get a stock replacement you'll have the same issue.

If you intend to keep it basically stock, monster stage 1 or similar would fit the bill nicely
Old 08-06-2017, 08:00 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

As the clutch fluid breaks down you will notice this happen as well. So I suggest bleeding the clutch at the slave and all new clutch fluid as a first precaution.
Old 08-10-2017, 10:36 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I second the clutch bleeding. Since the pedal does nothing for first half of the pedal travel, you are probably just compressing air.

The height is just the design. The clutch doesn't get a power booster like the brakes, so you need some leverage.
Old 08-13-2017, 10:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

My current clutch setup is 100% factory stock at 18K miles. The clutch pedal sits about 1/2" above the brake pedal. After about a 1/2 inch of travel, the clutch starts to get resistance and compress things. 2 inches does seem very excessive. I freshen up my clutch fluid once a year even though it doesn't need it (Ranger protocol). Takes about 15-30 min.

Quick Reply: 2000 Trans Am Clutch Pedal Sits Very High