Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Slipping Clutch advise /recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2017, 06:38 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slipping Clutch advise /recommendations

Have an LQ4 and GTO T56 swapped into a 86 Monte Carlo.

Clutch and flywheel were in rough shape when i bought it:

I cleaned it up with a scotchbright pad and ran it anyway, First time driving a manual trans, figured I'd learn how to drive it on this and no loss if i burn it up.

Put 2-300 miles on it, then had issues with it slipping in 5th-6th gear low engine rpm.

Pulled it apart and it was definitly slipping.

The flywheel bolts came with some assembly lube. I don't think I attempted to clean up any excess. Looks like it may have been getting on the flywheel surface, causing some of the slippage? Pressure plate also has hot spots, so if it was the lube then the pressure plate should have held.
Or maybe the clutch/flywheel were just junk?

Anyway, looking for some advise on what to do/buy?

Get the flywheel turned/trued? Or just replace it?
and recommendations on clutch/pressure plate to buy? My motor is fairly stock, LS6 intake, Z06 Cam so I don't need an expensive performance clutch?

Found someone selling a slightly used ls7 clutch kit part #24255748 flywheel part # 12571611. Only 800 miles.
Is this normal wear on the surfaces?
Old 08-18-2017, 03:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by jrz126
Have an LQ4 and GTO T56 swapped into a 86 Monte Carlo.

Found someone selling a slightly used ls7 clutch kit part #24255748 flywheel part # 12571611. Only 800 miles.
Is this normal wear on the surfaces?
the "800 mi.." FW looks like it has a lot of heat spots. I would say no

Just buy a replacement clutch kit for the year the donor car was. rockauto.com may have a cheaper $ for one

Your current FW looks pretty rough. Take it to a machine shop for resurface....if they don't have to cut deeper than min spec to clean it up. Usually around $40 to have a FW resurfaced

check your rear main seal...that may have been the reason you saw signs of oil sling from the FW bolt area.
Old 08-19-2017, 01:44 PM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

The first clutch was doomed to fail from the moment you installed it with the condition of those surfaces.

As above, get your flywheel machined and just put a new clutch onto it.

Used clutches are always a gamble...but at 800 miles should still look like brand new. That flywheel does not look like brand new, it looks like it's had a very poor driver slipping it a lot.
It probably is still ok...but it's so much work to install, just buy new.

Quick Reply: Slipping Clutch advise /recommendations