Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

LT1 T56 experts/help

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2017, 05:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT1 T56 experts/help

Quick and dirty T56 problem.

Pulled the tail tailshaft cover to do the reverse fork modification as it would not stay in reverse when driving. Seemed like a straight forward and easy job. Put it all back together and now it will go into first, second, third and forth(albeit quite hard to do) but when the clutch is let out, the transmission will not spin the driveshaft and wheels. (Car is still in the air) shifter will not even go over far enough to go into 5, 6 and reverse. Clutch and everything were never touched, rear diff spins as it should when in neutral.

I was pretty sure that I put the revers synchro back in right and everything else went in as easily as it came out. Case went on without issue too. Any advice? I'm sure I will have to tear into it again, but not sure where to start.

Thanks,
Mav
Old 09-06-2017, 08:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

sounds like the reverse 5/6 shifter shaft may be messed up. did you do this in the car, or did you have it out and remove the torx bolts from the main case? sounds like you pulled the shift rail off of the main selector. also make sure you put the snap rings on the shift rail.

http://shbox.com/1/t56_service_manual.pdf see if this can help you.
Old 09-06-2017, 09:04 PM
Teching In

I did do this in the car. Did not mess with anything but the stuff to get to the reverse fork. I'm wondering if I didn't clearance the fork and it is interfering with 5th gear somehow. All the snap rings were installed as they should be. My only question was the orientation of the reverse synchro, but highly doubt that would cause any of this.

Mav
Old 09-06-2017, 09:09 PM
Teching In

I also used that service manual, just not much in there about clearances and direction of sycros and such. I found the answers on the web, but since this was my first time, I obviously did something wrong.

Mav
Old 09-06-2017, 10:04 PM
Teching In

I found this information and it could possibly be my problem. Sounds very much like my issue.

"The countershaft extension bearing outer race tends to fall down out of the tailhousing.
Use trans. assembly grease to hold it in after you get it re-set in there."

https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...tion-help.html

I'll try this and go from there.

Thanks,
Mav
Old 09-08-2017, 11:52 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

More "What can go wrong doing things 115 degrees from usual":

https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...fork-pads.html

Yours . . Go after the countershaft extension bearing race like I talked about in the thread you linked. And wiggle and push the countershaft extension forward into the trans.

And, the 5-6/R set of shift rails have to be set onto the right hand guide bolt in the forward section of the trans. Pull down a bit, that assy. will rotate left and right. Lined up and set onto the guide bolt, they will not rotate. Holding them up with wire before installing the extension housing should get you there, then remove the wire to seat the housing.
Old 09-09-2017, 10:15 AM
Teching In

JMD,

Does it make more sense to just pull it and do the work vertical? It's only a few more bolts if it makes all the goodies align a bit easier.

Thank you for your information! I will be tackling this today and this week. Thank you,

Maverick
Old 09-09-2017, 07:08 PM
Teching In

Alright. Pulled it out and redid it on a homemade tranny table. Took me a while to get everything lined up, but once I played with it everything went together good and all the gears work. Going to put it back in tomorrow and run it hopefully. Thank you for your help.

Mav

Quick Reply: LT1 T56 experts/help