Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

TR6060 in GM A-Body

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2017, 07:04 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TR6060 in GM A-Body

Hello All,
It dawned on me that my first posting was in the wrong section so I moved over here. (The LS1 Tech pop up window makes it too easy to ask questions in the )

I have 1967 Chevelle that I would like to put a reliable, smooth running engine in that has a kick of horsepower. Also, I want to have a 6 speed manual. My original approach was to find a L33 and mate it with a t-56, t-56 magnum, or TR6060, but it appears it may be easier and within a few thousand dollars to just buy an LS3 engine with it's original 6 speed manual. My preference is to buy engine, trans and all the wiring, ecu, clutch master cylinder, etc together from one car, or buy a complete wrecked car. As my plans are to drop the engine in bone stock, I assume the trans conversion will be the most difficult part.

Following is what I gather will need to be addressed:
1) The tr6060 will need to be converted so it accepts the factory driveshaft
2) It will need a converter to run my mechanical speedometer off the electronic signal from trans.
3) It will need a shifter conversion to move the handle forward to directly bolt on tailshaft
4) Tunnel work in car
5) master cylinder
6) crossmember
7) driveshaft shortened.

Question 1- am I missing anything or not approaching things efficently?

Question 2- can I use the factory 4 speed console? There are a few adapters I have seen around that allow the use of a t56 magnum with the factory 4 speed console, but I dont know that the shifter locations are identical from t56 magnum to tr6060

Even though I posted in the wrong section Project GatTagO responded with where I can get help. Thanks Andrew. I am checking that out.

If anyone has a better choice of engine to go with that would be as reliable and come with a 6 speed I am interested in your thoughts. I understand that after 2005 some LS engines had floating wrist pins and a few other upgrades over earlier engines.

Thanks
Old 09-07-2017, 10:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 191 Likes on 135 Posts

Certain year tr6060's can be converted to a splined output. Look up D&D. Core-shifter has the shifter you'll need. Imo you should just buy a t56 magnum and be done with it.
Old 09-07-2017, 07:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank for the offer. I am still figuring out which direction to go. I will keep you in mind

Quick Reply: TR6060 in GM A-Body