Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 3th gear repair

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2017, 03:51 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T56 3th gear repair

Hi LS1tech,

i decided to take apart my T56 because i could not someone to do it. For over a year allready if i shift to 3th and release the clurch the car shakes a lot so i have been driving it 1-2-4. Upon searching people always say to take it apart before ordering parts so i did. I found 1 of the clips that holds the 3th gear broken, 1 more was broken but still in place. The C ring that holds the clips one end was broken, and the one under the 4th gear looks like its broken too.
1. How to i remove the 3th gear??with a puller??
2. What all do you recomend me to buy now i have it appart??

PS. Every thing els was cleand and seems to be okk, the forks are not bent, the plastic clip from the 1-2 fork was broken but still in place. And.....the 5-6 gear came out without a puller...is that bad???

Main shaft with 3th gear installed
What i found broken

Old 09-11-2017, 05:24 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

The 3-4 shift fork does not bend. It wallows at the shift rail hole, commonly causing the 3rd gear shift problems. If the fork is wallowed, of if it is aluminum, replace with new; they are iron.

Your 1-2 synchronizer keys are broken. New billet keys are a good upgrade.

You have a few broken shift fork pads, but you look to have bronze pads installed in the 1-2 for, which is good.

The condition of the 3rd gear and synchronizer teeth that mesh together is another item you should be reviewing carefully.
Old 09-19-2017, 08:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Your 2th gear looks like its seen better days and needs to be replaced.
Old 09-22-2017, 07:53 AM
TECH Resident

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by AMP-D
Your 2th gear looks like its seen better days and needs to be replaced.
Yup!

O.P, you need to change that 2nd gear, those pics show broken 1/2 keys and fork pads. Look at the engagement teeth on both 2nd gear, 1/2 syncro sleeve 3rd gear and 3/4 syncro sleeve. Go ahead and change the 3/4 keys to billet and fork pads with bronze pads. They aren't too expensive and will pretty much guarantee you won't have these issues again. Upgrade your 3/4 fork to a steel 3/4 fork. As for your 5/6 cluster gear sliding off by hand means the journal on your mainshaft is worn and needs to be repaired or shaft replaced. Call Jason @ Texas Drivetrain Performance and he can help you with the parts and repair on the shaft. Amp also sells great parts as well, They carry billet keys and bronze pads too including new mainshafts.
Old 09-22-2017, 07:56 AM
TECH Resident

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by jmd

You have a few broken shift fork pads, but you look to have bronze pads installed in the 1-2 for, which is good.

JMD, I think they're are the white plastic nylon pads that have turned yellow over time and the light/reflection is making them shine like bronze. Maybe?

Quick Reply: T56 3th gear repair