Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Looking for a used/broken Face Planted Gear.

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2017, 04:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Looking for a used/broken Face Planted Gear.

It can be from any manual transmission, I have a well worn T5, with all the engagement teeth on all the gears, worn to point of being junk. So, what can I do with this, lets face plant it! So, I need to know how it's done, let me know what you have.

Thanks.
Old 09-11-2017, 09:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Face plant:

Or face plate? Sorry, had to...

Old 09-11-2017, 11:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Too funny S10, I was thinking the same, LOL!!
Old 09-12-2017, 07:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by S10xGN
Face plant:

Or face plate? Sorry, had to

Well, doesn't look as easy as I thought. I was thinking the cut outs were straight through on everything. Are those your gears by chance? If so, can you post a Face picture of the slider and gear? I can't find to much about Face Plate or Pro Shifted transmissions.

Thanks.
Old 09-12-2017, 09:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Stampede4ever
Well, doesn't look as easy as I thought. I was thinking the cut outs were straight through on everything. Are those your gears by chance? If so, can you post a Face picture of the slider and gear? I can't find to much about Face Plate or Pro Shifted transmissions.

Thanks.
Not mine, I just Googled "face plate transmission" and got tons of great images.
Old 09-12-2017, 11:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 316 Likes on 214 Posts

This is what they call "pro shifted" gears...

As opposed to the "face plated" gears shown in the above posts...
Old 09-13-2017, 09:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Here's a pic of a Saginaw 4spd that I slick shifted 2nd and faceplated 3rd. Slick Shifted is basically the same as pro shifted in that every other dog on the stock gear is removed, and every other mating spline inside the slider. This makes the "window" for engagement 200% wider, and easier to complete the shift at high speed. The downside is that if you miss a shift, the lugs burr over and won't go into gear which requires tearing the trans apart to remedy. This can only be done on transmissions that have an even number of splines. On some transmissions with 30 splines, it's possible to remove 2 out of every 3 teeth/splines making the window for engagement 400% wider. Less lugs/splines make them more likely to burr, but some VW guys remove 2 out of 3 anyway. Originally this Saginaw below was slick shifted in 2nd and 3rd, but 3rd proved to be a problem and required deburring or replacing every 2 weeks. The remedy for that was a faceplate for 3rd...

Here's a pic of the faceplate parts that I typically use, made by Liberty for a TKO/Toploader...

Here's a pic of one side of a Liberty faceplate slider that I trimmed off so that I could weld it to the side of a Toploader slider. I did this so that I could retain the stock synchro on 1st, making it easier to slip the trans quietly into 1st at a stoplite with the engine running...

Here's a pic of the faceplate welded to the slider with the inner splines cut out...

Here's a pic of the assembled Toploader with synchro 1st, faceplated 2/3/4...

Grant

Last edited by weedburner; 09-13-2017 at 10:25 AM.

Quick Reply: Looking for a used/broken Face Planted Gear.