Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Are there differences in parts store slave cylinders?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2017, 07:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Default Are there differences in parts store slave cylinders?

When I pulled my t56 out Sunday my slave looks like it had come apart. This round "cap" with a ribbed rubber insert came off the top and I was told that needs to be attached to the assembly so I went and bought a new slave from advance auto. The new one is a CARQUEST brand one and it doesn't have the piece that came off my old slave and has a slightly different design. My old piece was made by GM and came as part of my Monster stage 3 clutch kit a few years ago. It looks like the slave cylinder with the silver base in the picture below. The new unit looks like the slave with the black base.

Is it a big deal this is different? Should I take the CARQUEST one back and find someone with a GM piece? Is it normal mine came apart like that and could that have been causing my bad pilot bearing sound?
Attached Thumbnails Are there differences in parts store slave cylinders?-dhb-cs360058_xl__85607_1481663347_1280_1280.jpg   Are there differences in parts store slave cylinders?-715.jpg  
Old 10-20-2017, 07:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Carquest used to sell pretty close to OEM Parts but now they are owned by Advance Auto who is investor / profit driven and building their own in China much like AutoZone does. The quality of the parts is much lower than they used to be so I stick with Delphi or A/C Delco. Sadly, no local stores carry the good brands without a huge markup so I order from RockAuto or Amazon when I'm not in a hurry. So much for shop local anymore...
Old 10-20-2017, 06:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

I hear that on shopping local. I ended up returning the slave I got and ordered a new clutch kit (that escalated quickly) from Monster to better suit my future mod plans and it came with a new GM slave. Hopefully I won't be changing this one out in 10k miles like the last one lol.

Quick Reply: Are there differences in parts store slave cylinders?