Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 tailhousing

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2017, 12:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T56 tailhousing

Hi, I am in the process of creating cad drawings to adapt a t56 for 4wd/awd use. To do this I am designing a new tail housing for the transmission that is essentially the same as the original, but with a 6 bolt round bolt pattern on the back of it in order to bolt up a variety of transfer cases. I was wondering if anyone has a t56, or t56 tail housing that could take ample dimension measurements for me to continue my drawings off of. Thanks.
Old 10-30-2017, 07:01 PM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

AWD has been done before, I think they just used a Vette T56 as it already have a rear flange to give some easy flexibility.

http://www.highperformancetrucks.com...read.php?t=203

Old 10-31-2017, 03:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, i understand that it is possible, and that it has been done before. What I am wanting to do is design a tail housing that allows for the rear shifter location, and awd, and be usable on non vette t56s. And yes, I understand that you can convert any t56 to be the same configuration as any other, but I am hoping i can draw something that simplifies all of it. If i am able to design such a tail housing i will submit the drawing to advance adapters, and possibly upload it here, so anyone can have it cnc'd.
Old 11-05-2017, 11:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Building an adapter as shown above is a much easier and cheaper option than trying to produce an extension housing unless you're going to manufacture a ton of them. We've looked into having some T56 housings die casted but the cost of the mold itself is pretty substantial. The cheaper option is sand casting but the quality of the housing won't be as nice. Trying to cnc machine one from a solid block of material would be very costly as well.
Old 11-05-2017, 12:16 PM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by AMP-D
Building an adapter as shown above is a much easier and cheaper option than trying to produce an extension housing unless you're going to manufacture a ton of them. We've looked into having some T56 housings die casted but the cost of the mold itself is pretty substantial. The cheaper option is sand casting but the quality of the housing won't be as nice. Trying to cnc machine one from a solid block of material would be very costly as well.
With 3d printing etc etc, that would allow much easier cost effective moulds to be made ?

Or would it be hard to rough cast a piece then CNC it so as not to start with a huge billet ?
Old 11-05-2017, 02:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
With 3d printing etc etc, that would allow much easier cost effective moulds to be made ?

Or would it be hard to rough cast a piece then CNC it so as not to start with a huge billet ?
Cheapest option would mostly likely be to create a mold from a 3D printed piece to do sand casted pieces that can be machined as required. It will still be a pretty extensive project but using a 3d scanner on a F Body housing to get the important measurements would be a good start.

Quick Reply: T56 tailhousing