Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch purchase help for tranzilla sequential build!

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2017, 08:12 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch purchase help for tranzilla sequential build!

Hey everyone its me again with the awd camaro build! i have gone a different route and will be putting in a transzilla instead of a built jakes 4l80e. I really want a car i can multi task with and not only drag race in hot rod drag week but beat up on autocross time to time! This is going to be a true street driver so i needed some opinions. Am i asking to much from a stick shift car making 1,000 horse 90 percent duty cycle clutch wise.
Has anyone built something that brutal and actually drive it on the street.
My engine combo is a 416 lsx with trick flow heads and a precision turbo tuned by me with a holley dominator. I know this car can make the power when i turn the wick up. Issue is does the current clutch tech make something that can handle that kind of power atrocious to drive?
Who do you guys use as well for something like this? centerforce mcleod?
i am a auto guy so this is all a whole new realm! I appreciate the help my friends!
Attached Thumbnails Clutch purchase help for tranzilla sequential build!-image2.jpg  
Old 11-08-2017, 09:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good luck with the tranzilla. I bought it brand new picked it up from rockland.. installed a week later after 600 miles made some passes to tune the car and completely exploded on me. Rockland would not warranty it even though it had a year warranty and was only 2 weeks old. Said the warranty is no good for racing. Said why do i need a 1000 hp tranny if im not racing. Almost died that night from spinning out at the top of 4th gear. Drove the transmission up they took it apart said nothing was wrong and well charge you 1500 to repair it meanwhile i dumped over 4 grand to buy it. Said i was getting a deal. Turned out it really had a bent mainshaft installed. They gave it back to me in a bucket all the parts thrown in like crap. Shipped what was save-able to rpm and they took good care of me!
Old 11-19-2017, 04:56 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

The AWD aspect and hence pretty damn good traction will be a factor. A clutch that can hold 1k and be nice to drive isnt a huge ask these days...but one that can also tolerate huge launches....changes matters slightly.
You dont mention weight either ?

I'm sure Monster will be along with some of their triple offerings.

Or RPS offer triple and quad carbon's which would have potential

Some options will be governed by whatever bellhousing/input shaft setup you have...as some may not have room for those taller triple/quad setups.

What I do like about RPS's kit is the centre hub design, a little hard to see in the pics here, but rather than individual discs with their own spline, there is a single large hub, and in turn the friction discs have their own teeth which also float. So always good spline engagement on the input shaft, but always nice free and easy to move friction surfaces

http://www.carolinaclutch.com/invent...isc-clutch-kit

the carbon aspect....I hear lots say good things about this material, and it intrigues me. But my own experience with it on another brand of clutch.....lets just say I dont think I'll ever own another carbon clutch ! Probably no real justification for those thoughts though, based on A N Other's design.

Other than those, most will be into metallic type discs, which will certainly hold all the hard launches, but be just not as friendly to drive with. A decent twin should cover you, or you could move to a triple for some extra safety capacity.

Of course, if you dont see a lot of traffic, stop start driving, then even the metallic type discs wont be a huge problem.
Old 11-20-2017, 06:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by SStressin
Good luck with the tranzilla. I bought it brand new picked it up from rockland.. installed a week later after 600 miles made some passes to tune the car and completely exploded on me. Rockland would not warranty it even though it had a year warranty and was only 2 weeks old. Said the warranty is no good for racing. Said why do i need a 1000 hp tranny if im not racing. Almost died that night from spinning out at the top of 4th gear. Drove the transmission up they took it apart said nothing was wrong and well charge you 1500 to repair it meanwhile i dumped over 4 grand to buy it. Said i was getting a deal. Turned out it really had a bent mainshaft installed. They gave it back to me in a bucket all the parts thrown in like crap. Shipped what was save-able to rpm and they took good care of me!
Sad. They have a chip on their shoulder. One reason I won't deal with them.
Old 11-21-2017, 04:45 AM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

A simple straightforward Magnum seems to be the way to go really.

Quick Reply: Clutch purchase help for tranzilla sequential build!