Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch slippage, clutch or MC issue?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2017, 07:34 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clutch slippage, clutch or MC issue?

I am completely new to the T56 so please be patient here. I recently bought a 2000 SS, T56, 44k original miles with full bolt ons. The car came with a dyno sheet that reads 375rwhp. I am running 28 inch tires and 4.11 gears. I swapped the stock rear end with a Moser 9'" and like any responsible performance enthusiast, I tested it by dumping the clutch at about 5k rpms . The clutch slipped really bad so I let off but still smell the burnt clutch. Now before this, I noticed the pedal was doing the typical "stuck half way" under load. The car also felt great while shifting, meaning it jumped forward when shifted hard so other than the pedal issue, the clutch felt really good. I am trying to figure out if the slippage is the result of the MC/hydrulics issue before I go ordering a whole new clutch system. I know the MC is stock, not sure what clutch is in there. After my failed attempt, I let it cool down and went for a ride and everything worked fine under normal driving so I assume the clutch is not totally gone. Any ideas or advice will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Basco; 11-19-2017 at 08:42 PM.
Old 11-19-2017, 09:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds like the disc may be intermittently hanging up on the splines.
Old 11-19-2017, 09:57 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by GIZZ
sounds like the disc may be intermittently hanging up on the splines.
I've been doing some reading and I think I want replace the master cylinder with a Tick Performance unit but I am not 100% sure that alone will solve it. I guess that's a start.
Old 11-20-2017, 10:18 PM
On The Tree

Ended up ordering a full swap kit with a Monster clutch level 3 from Tick Performance. That should take care of my issues!
Old 11-27-2017, 01:25 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let me know how that works out, I have their Master Cylinder and thats a great product, good luck
Old 11-27-2017, 09:38 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Guuseppe'sTA
Let me know how that works out, I have their Master Cylinder and thats a great product, good luck
I will update this thread when I drop it in.
Old 12-22-2017, 01:33 PM
On The Tree

Well, the new Monster clutch and Tick performance MC are in and so far its day and night improvement. I am still breaking it in as per Monster recommendations but the pedal feel is great. It is stiffer that stock but nothing that a grown man can't handle. There is a little chatter felt but not heard if that makes sense. I ran through all gears shifting at 6k, no issues, smooth as butter! So far I love it. Mind, it feels different than a stock clutch because it is not a stock clutch! It is a high performance clutch and it has its drawbacks for daily use. If you can handle a stiffer pedal and a little chatter, it won't bother you. This is not my first so I find it normal for the type of clutch it is but I am more concern about performance.

Last edited by Basco; 12-22-2017 at 02:08 PM.
Old 12-22-2017, 03:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 95 Likes on 86 Posts

IDK what clutch disc material you got but if not full face organic type the more aggressive clutch disc materials are prone to chatter. This should subside some after break-in. Also you will find the "sweet spot" on rpm and release technique which often eliminates chatter altogether

Good the new setup resolved your issues
Old 12-22-2017, 07:44 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ******
IDK what clutch disc material you got but if not full face organic type the more aggressive clutch disc materials are prone to chatter. This should subside some after break-in. Also you will find the "sweet spot" on rpm and release technique which often eliminates chatter altogether

Good the new setup resolved your issues
I totally agree, technique can definitely eliminate the chatter.

Quick Reply: Clutch slippage, clutch or MC issue?