Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

LS7 Clutch Weight Concerns

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 11:31 AM
Launching!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
Sounds like it to me. They're pretty much all the same. If you can put a corvette clutch in a fcar then you can put a fcar clutch in a vette.
gotcha, just gotta figure out if i want to go stage 2 or 2+. not running radials yet for the strip and the car is a 5th gen w/ bolt ons. spec suggested the 2+
Old 02-21-2018, 11:38 AM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Idk....all i can tell you is don't be skeered to drop some coin on a good light clutch. The ls7 clutch is cheap because it's junk.

Spec has a newer aluminum pressure plate option that might work well with a aluminum flywheel. Mantic has some nice stuff as does quarter master. Rps is probably top of the heap right now but really $. Alot of the more expensive clutches can be rebuilt saving $ in the long term or atleast reducing costs. Once you feel the responsiveness of a light clutch and the added acceleration you'll understand why you should spend a bit more.
Being scared (the word is ******* SCARED you baboon-*** faced retarded mongoloid, God you people are gay) to "drop some coin" and being ABLE to drop some coin are two different things. Many a assclown has forgotten that when responding to posts here, thereby giving useless advice. Maybe yours isn't, but you're being pretty narrow minded. Saying "no, you should get what I have because it's totally worth it" isn't going to be the correct response in every situation.
The following users liked this post:
Coy (10-20-2023)
Old 02-21-2018, 11:45 AM
10 Second Club

Received 479 Likes on 376 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

We took the 5.5 tilton out of my buddy's out of his 5gen and put it in his vette recently.....same clutch as in my fcar since about 07. What you do run into is different fittings on the lines from car to car if you use a different hydraulic release bearing like we do. So we adapt them around.
Old 02-21-2018, 11:50 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by AnotherWs6
Being scared (the word is ******* SCARED you baboon-*** faced retarded mongoloid, God you people are gay) to "drop some coin" and being ABLE to drop some coin are two different things. Many a assclown has forgotten that when responding to posts here, thereby giving useless advice. Maybe yours isn't, but you're being pretty narrow minded. Saying "no, you should get what I have because it's totally worth it" isn't going to be the correct response in every situation.
he is kind of right though, you gotta pay to play. i think the person who has to differentiate between if they are too scared to drop the coin, or if they can drop it but don't want to for 'xyz' reason, is you. so by telling everyone to generalize their comments in a way because some have the money while others do not is ****. whether you can or cannot spend the money isn't our problem, that's for you to decide. it is also on you to decide if you want to heed his advice, or pass on it.

back on topic: the clutch i posted about (spec aluminum pp and fw) comes in under $900. if that is too rich for your blood then you can option steel pieces and get the price much lower.
Old 02-21-2018, 11:54 AM
10 Second Club

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Someone is triggered.....lol

It is worth it. I guess if you've never done it....and apparently you haven't then you wouldn't know.

In case you haven't noticed i recommended less expensive alternatives. Before I'd put a ls7 clutch in one i would just put a replacement ls1 clutch in and not gain that 6lb of rotating weight.. ...they can be had for less than a ls7 clutch if your budget is really that tight.

Who's the baboon-*** faced retarded mongoloid now?
Old 02-21-2018, 12:15 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by xc_SS/RS
he is kind of right though, you gotta pay to play. i think the person who has to differentiate between if they are too scared to drop the coin, or if they can drop it but don't want to for 'xyz' reason, is you. so by telling everyone to generalize their comments in a way because some have the money while others do not is ****. whether you can or cannot spend the money isn't our problem, that's for you to decide. it is also on you to decide if you want to heed his advice, or pass on it.

back on topic: the clutch i posted about (spec aluminum pp and fw) comes in under $900. if that is too rich for your blood then you can option steel pieces and get the price much lower.
You no comprendo de english? I told no one to generalize. I also don't give a ****.
Old 02-21-2018, 12:17 PM
TECH Addict

Someone is triggered.....lol

It is worth it. I guess if you've never done it....and apparently you haven't then you wouldn't know.

In case you haven't noticed i recommended less expensive alternatives. Before I'd put a ls7 clutch in one i would just put a replacement ls1 clutch in and not gain that 6lb of rotating weight.. ...they can be had for less than a ls7 clutch if your budget is really that tight.

Who's the baboon-*** faced retarded mongoloid now?
Worth it to who though? How do you measure worth here when worth is so subjective.

Again, I don't give a ****. And neither does the OP bcasue he hasn't come back and it's been three weeks.

Once you become a baboon-*** faced retarded mongoloid you will always be a baboon-*** faced retarded mongoloid. Therefor sir - you are.
Old 02-21-2018, 12:31 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

it's a clutch damn, not gun control can we all just get along?
Old 02-21-2018, 12:32 PM
10 Second Club

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

It's worth it to who ever is seeking better acceleration and goin easier on their syncros.

Well remember i called you a baboon-*** faced retarded mongoloid to....I'm rubber your glue

Sometimes the best info evolves after op's leave
Old 02-21-2018, 12:37 PM
Launching!

Being scared to "drop some coin" and being ABLE to drop some coin are two different things. Many a assclown has forgotten that when responding to posts here, thereby giving useless advice. Maybe yours isn't, but you're being pretty narrow minded. Saying "no, you should get what I have because it's totally worth it" isn't going to be the correct response in every situation.
You no comprendo de english? I told no one to generalize. I also don't give a ****.
yo comprendo perfecto hombre and i couldn't care less bout you either sugar! you may not have told him to generalize, but you did tell him to alter his response because there are people on this forum who are scared to drop the coin, or can't.

its your choice to determine if you can drop the coin, or can't. if you can't then don't. it's also your choice on what parts to buy, so if the parts he suggests don't jive with you then don't buy them!
Old 02-21-2018, 12:50 PM
10 Second Club

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

This whole baboon-*** faced thing has gote outta sorts a bit. Last time i was at the zoo i seen a bitch like that in the cage and i was like " Daaammmnnn girl look at chou" i ready to jump in there and chase down that swolled up red ***.
Old 02-21-2018, 01:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 276 Likes on 181 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

There is no knock it the **** off.

You simply do not understand the performance advantage of a light clutch or a clutch with reduced moi. Which is why your harping on it. You probably look at hp ratings to determine what clutch to buy.
I understand the performance advantages. I also understand the trade-offs with a lighter clutch. Just because I can understand the merits and limitations of a factory clutch doesn't permit you to insult my intelligence with baseless assumptions.

Perfectly fine for a dump truck is more like it. Take ls1 clutch out....install a ls7 clutch.....you've just slowed your car down. Due to adding 6lb of engine speed rotatiing mass.
Yeah, I'm sure someone with mild modifications on a street car is going to notice that difference. But sure, the clutch is only good for dump trucks.

Not to mention smaller diameter lighter discs aid in preserving your syncro's......especially in fcars where the syncro's are marginal especially at high rpm.
Yep. Especially for all of those street cars spending the majority of their time in 2,000-4,000 RPM range. Lots of high RPM benefits there.

Gm uses clutch weight as a sort of torque management. New lt1's has a 66lb clutch. Guess what....those engines make great torque.....gotta control it or people be wrecking out
Actually, the heavier clutch allows for easier starts due to more reciprocating weight. GM has its own torque management system on vehicles, and it doesn't involve the clutch.

Not everyone's vehicle lives at 6000+ RPMs, and not everyone's vehicle is a dedicated track car. Just because the LS7 clutch doesn't suit your needs doesn't automatically mean it is junk and it certainly doesn't warrant you telling someone that they need to run out and buy the lightest clutch they can find.

You are correct in that buying a clutch based on its horsepower rating is silly. It's almost as foolish as buying a clutch based on its weight.
Old 02-21-2018, 01:25 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by xc_SS/RS
yo comprendo perfecto hombre and i couldn't care less bout you either sugar! you may not have told him to generalize, but you did tell him to alter his response because there are people on this forum who are scared to drop the coin, or can't.

its your choice to determine if you can drop the coin, or can't. if you can't then don't. it's also your choice on what parts to buy, so if the parts he suggests don't jive with you then don't buy them!
I will out font your quote any day of the week. I win!!!

Fng relax D.

Last edited by AnotherWs6; 02-21-2018 at 01:31 PM.
Old 02-21-2018, 01:30 PM
TECH Addict

This whole baboon-*** faced thing has gote outta sorts a bit. Last time i was at the zoo i seen a bitch like that in the cage and i was like " Daaammmnnn girl look at chou" i ready to jump in there and chase down that swolled up red ***.

OMG those asses are horrifying to look at.

How do I tell a story that is funny when it's kind of race related without being racist? Cuz I have a zoo story involving monkey's and a brief conversation about said monkey's between an African american couple that makes me smile to this day. I did or said nothing, the woman did though and mine and my wife's eyes just about popped out of our heads. It was brief yet hysterical and I had to scamper away before laughing audibly. You gotta see some of the **** at the free admission day at the Bronx Zoo. Only in NY, only in the Bronx.
Old 02-21-2018, 01:47 PM
Launching!

I will out font your quote any day of the week. I win!!!

Fng relax D.

anything you can do i can do betterrrrrrrr

my apologies! i need to stop posting and surfing before eating lol
Old 02-21-2018, 02:08 PM
10 Second Club

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by MuhThugga
I understand the performance advantages. I also understand the trade-offs with a lighter clutch. Just because I can understand the merits and limitations of a factory clutch doesn't permit you to insult my intelligence with baseless assumptions.

Yeah, I'm sure someone with mild modifications on a street car is going to notice that difference. But sure, the clutch is only good for dump trucks.

Yep. Especially for all of those street cars spending the majority of their time in 2,000-4,000 RPM range. Lots of high RPM benefits there.

Actually, the heavier clutch allows for easier starts due to more reciprocating weight. GM has its own torque management system on vehicles, and it doesn't involve the clutch.

Not everyone's vehicle lives at 6000+ RPMs, and not everyone's vehicle is a dedicated track car. Just because the LS7 clutch doesn't suit your needs doesn't automatically mean it is junk and it certainly doesn't warrant you telling someone that they need to run out and buy the lightest clutch they can find.

You are correct in that buying a clutch based on its horsepower rating is silly. It's almost as foolish as buying a clutch based on its weight.
Great post man.....how many times have you won hypermiler of the year award over on the prius forum?

If you knew the advantages then you wouldn't be questioning them. Trade offs? What trade offs? You mean the trade off that keeps your 4cyl honda dx from taking off with a factory 30lb clutch.

On milder cars the weight is even more apparent.

If you're not shifting your high performance car over 4000 rpm once in a while you're doin it wrong.

The heavy clutch seems to coinside wuth the electronics. They can control the rate of engine acceleration with mass on the flywheel....not completely tho. This is where the electronics come in. The new lt1 has a even heavier clutch at 66lb.........you may as well recommend that to op.

The ls7 clutch is a steaming pile of poo released from a baboon ***

I would rather see ratings for clutches based on rpm and weight/moi

OMG those asses are horrifying to look at.

How do I tell a story that is funny when it's kind of race related without being racist? Cuz I have a zoo story involving monkey's and a brief conversation about said monkey's between an African american couple that makes me smile to this day. I did or said nothing, the woman did though and mine and my wife's eyes just about popped out of our heads. It was brief yet hysterical and I had to scamper away before laughing audibly. You gotta see some of the **** at the free admission day at the Bronx Zoo. Only in NY, only in the Bronx.
Lol........ima equal opportunity racists.
Old 02-21-2018, 02:43 PM
TECH Addict

^^^^^I am too, but talking about monkey's and African americans can get a bit dicey. I'll hold on to that little gem for a while.

Just as long as we now now I am the undisputed king of extreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeme fonts.

For what it's worth, I bought a monster 3 (with light weight flywheel) a while back and now I don't want it, haven't installed it. I need some slippage. Though driving a light switch clutch on the street does make my chest and ***** swell slightly. Good times. Baboon *****.
Old 02-21-2018, 02:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 276 Likes on 181 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

. The new lt1 has a even heavier clutch at 66lb.........you may as well recommend that to op.
Have one behind my 404. It's a great clutch and I do recommend it.
Old 02-21-2018, 03:02 PM
Launching!

Mamo has created a clutch option: https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...-flywheel.html

looks good
Old 02-21-2018, 03:05 PM
10 Second Club

Received 173 Likes on 117 Posts

I daily my 5.5" tilton in the C6. I have to say my car drives very nice in normal conditions and when its time to party a whap of the throttle sends the tach to 6k (it cant keep up with the engine free reving) down shift and time to roll out. Now with that POS LS7 clutch that used to be in it you could mash the gas to the floor down shift prior to releasing the throttle and it would be a good 4500rpm if you were lucky and well you were ready to roll at much slower rate of acceleration. I have done a lot of things and as far as a wear item to be replaced to gain performance there is nothing better then a light(er) clutch. The comment about using the clutch for torque management cracks me up. With the traction control on I can blow the tires off my car and it takes seconds for it to even function now lol

Quick Reply: LS7 Clutch Weight Concerns