Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

The last inch

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2018, 10:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I’ve had luck with putting the jack up under the bellhousing and jacking up a bit. The plastic alignment tools are hard to get it aligned perfectly.
Old 03-18-2018, 10:18 PM
Banned

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

One time I 'upgraded' to a roller pilot bushing on my chevy 350 with a 4-speed muncie. Dang thing would NOT go into that pilot. I took it out and put the brass one back in. Trans went right in then... nice sloppy old brass pilot...

IMO its easily an alignment issue. take the advice about holding up the alignment tool to ensure the plates are exactly center. Usually we have to spin a trans some the last little bit, having a trans jack helps not having to hold it up.
Old 03-19-2018, 05:09 AM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Wouldn't the pilot bearing be making noise when running then?
That depends if anything was damaged.

Although as the bearing doesnt really do anything or spin in normal use....there isnt any reason for it to make noise whilst the clutch is engaged.

The only time there is a difference in rotation speeds between input/bearing etc is when the pedal is depressed and clutch disengaged.
Old 03-19-2018, 06:59 AM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by big hammer
That’s the correct pilot. Have you done all the measuring for your slave?
Good to hear, thanks. Monster says no measuring or shims are needed, so no I have not.

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
The gearbox should always slide in easily and flush by hand. It should never require excessive effort or to be pulled in by the bolts.

And ensure you have the hydraulic line connected, or the bleeder open to allow the release bearing to retract as you push the trans into the bellhousing.

But it should go very easy, if it doesnt pull it out and find out why
The fitting on the speed bleeder is completely removed, but I do not have the the line from the master hooked up to the slave. Should that be connected?

Originally Posted by Darth_V8r
I was going to ask if the OP had cracked bleeder. Also, corrosion in the dowel holes will cause resistance. I one had to run a 3/8 carbide bit in the holes to clean them up and it slid right on.
See above for the bleeder. Dowel pins are not yet in contact, however I did clean the pins and holes with some emory paper and have a little grease on them.
Originally Posted by kingtal0n
One time I 'upgraded' to a roller pilot bushing on my chevy 350 with a 4-speed muncie. Dang thing would NOT go into that pilot. I took it out and put the brass one back in. Trans went right in then... nice sloppy old brass pilot...

IMO its easily an alignment issue. take the advice about holding up the alignment tool to ensure the plates are exactly center. Usually we have to spin a trans some the last little bit, having a trans jack helps not having to hold it up.
I'm using 2 floor jacks so that I don't have to hold it up, and can alter the angle of it.
Old 03-19-2018, 07:23 AM
9 Second Club

If the slave hydraulics are not sealed ( ie you say the speed bleeder is removed ) then there should be no possibility of the hydraulic setup holding the trans away from sitting flush.

How easily did the alignment tool go in ? and when viewing the hole...did it also look like everything was clear and straight ?
The tool, even the crappy plastic tools should just glide in with no effort, and likewise pull out.

But if you arent even on or near the dowels, something is not aligned correctly.
Old 03-19-2018, 08:12 AM
12 Second Club

If the slave hydraulics are not sealed ( ie you say the speed bleeder is removed ) then there should be no possibility of the hydraulic setup holding the trans away from sitting flush.

How easily did the alignment tool go in ? and when viewing the hole...did it also look like everything was clear and straight ?
The tool, even the crappy plastic tools should just glide in with no effort, and likewise pull out.

But if you arent even on or near the dowels, something is not aligned correctly.
I do have the rubber cover on that came with the new slave just so it doesn't get dinged up or get some junk in there, I doubt that would be the issue though.

The tool definitely takes some effort to go in and out. I'll see if I can find someone with an old input shaft to use instead of the tool. As for visual alignment I can't say for sure. When I get the trans back down I'll take a look and compare to when I realign it.

I am very close to the dowels, but just not quite close enough.

Thanks for all the help!
Old 03-19-2018, 11:45 AM
9 Second Club

The tool should definitely not take effort to go in unless it was made extremely badly.

How did it slide into one disc ? then the other ? and the bearing...all on their own ? That would tell you if there is any issue with the tool.
If it move freely in each item, then it should also move freely when they're all assembled correctly.

RAM make a metal alignment too which would be better than the plastic, but the plastics are still ok.
Old 03-19-2018, 04:31 PM
Banned

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

yeah man the alignment tool should slide right in like butter once the PP is tightened to spec. in majority of applications, this should make sense intuitively.

I don't know if the FSM recommends grease but I would imagine so, usually there is a required molybdenum sulfide lubricant applied to the TOB and input shaft. Make sure you are coated really well wherever it says to apply grease.
Old 03-19-2018, 05:32 PM

Received 1,852 Likes on 1,152 Posts

I don't know if this will help or not... When I swapped my motor, I thought getting the trans to go on would be cake vs doing it under the car, and I couldn't get it. Got stuck about a half inch like you. I stuck the tool back in fine, and it still wouldn't go. So, I loosened the PP and put the alignment tool in. This time, I pushed IN with the tool (like toward the front of the engine) while i was tightening the PP bolts. I mean pushing in with everything I had. i think this inward pressure may have centered it better. It went right on, except the very last 1/8 inch, which I did pull in with the bolts.

One other thing I've seen when the trans won't go in like this -- double and triple check the discs are correctly oriented. I hate to even suggest it, because I'm sure you're a competent man, but i'd rather say something even if it turns out to be not the case. If the discs are reversed on their position, or flipped over, it will sometimes stick out too far and cause this. I've also seen the use of aftermarket FW bolts do it, but I saw yours are stock, unless I got my threads confused...
Old 03-19-2018, 05:34 PM

yeah man the alignment tool should slide right in like butter once the PP is tightened to spec. in majority of applications, this should make sense intuitively.

I don't know if the FSM recommends grease but I would imagine so, usually there is a required molybdenum sulfide lubricant applied to the TOB and input shaft. Make sure you are coated really well wherever it says to apply grease.
Usually they recommend a very light coat of grease, but that does remind me of something else worth doing -- use some valve grinding compound, brush it on the input shaft, move the clutch disc hub in and out a bunch of times to polish both surfaces. Clean the input shaft very throughly. Lightly grease prior to install. Also, grease the pilot of the input shaft to make sure it slides into the bearing.
Old 03-19-2018, 09:14 PM
12 Second Club

The tool should definitely not take effort to go in unless it was made extremely badly.

How did it slide into one disc ? then the other ? and the bearing...all on their own ? That would tell you if there is any issue with the tool.
If it move freely in each item, then it should also move freely when they're all assembled correctly.

RAM make a metal alignment too which would be better than the plastic, but the plastics are still ok.
Most of the resistance seems like it's when the tool is going into the pilot.

Not sure what FSM is, but monster told me no lube on the input shaft.
I don't know if this will help or not... When I swapped my motor, I thought getting the trans to go on would be cake vs doing it under the car, and I couldn't get it. Got stuck about a half inch like you. I stuck the tool back in fine, and it still wouldn't go. So, I loosened the PP and put the alignment tool in. This time, I pushed IN with the tool (like toward the front of the engine) while i was tightening the PP bolts. I mean pushing in with everything I had. i think this inward pressure may have centered it better. It went right on, except the very last 1/8 inch, which I did pull in with the bolts.

One other thing I've seen when the trans won't go in like this -- double and triple check the discs are correctly oriented. I hate to even suggest it, because I'm sure you're a competent man, but i'd rather say something even if it turns out to be not the case. If the discs are reversed on their position, or flipped over, it will sometimes stick out too far and cause this. I've also seen the use of aftermarket FW bolts do it, but I saw yours are stock, unless I got my threads confused...
I appreciate all the suggestions. I'll give it a try pushing in like you mentioned. Also I paid close attention to make sure I got the disk oriented correctly but I'll send a pic to monster to make sure I didn't make an error there.
Usually they recommend a very light coat of grease, but that does remind me of something else worth doing -- use some valve grinding compound, brush it on the input shaft, move the clutch disc hub in and out a bunch of times to polish both surfaces. Clean the input shaft very throughly. Lightly grease prior to install. Also, grease the pilot of the input shaft to make sure it slides into the bearing.
I actually asked monster about that after reading your RPS thread, and I was specifically told not to do that.
Old 03-19-2018, 09:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 98 Likes on 89 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Depending on how much of the edge of the pilot bearing the input shaft is catching but even the most minimal amount can cause the off centered input shaft to gouge or flatten 1 or more of the needle bearings inside the pilot. That will considerably compromise the bearing and the surface of the input shaft tip...which either right away or soon will start to make noise

The damage is done by using mechanical, advantage (wrench/bolts) to pull the tranny in when it hits the edge of the pilot. The first time the clutch is pushed the clutch discs and input shaft align where they should be....just you can likely now have a compromised pilot bearing
Old 03-19-2018, 09:42 PM
TECH Veteran

LS1Tech 10 Year

OP

IDK why Monster advises not to use some form of lubricant (sparingly) on the input shaft over the section of shaft the clutch disc(s) travel back & forth on. Perhaps they are concerned people will get to heavy with grease or something and contaminate the disc material

Anyway what has been suggested is, IMHO, valid advice. Clean the input shaft (brake clean & wire brush) splines well. Consider the fresh metal surface on the clutch disc splines and input shaft. A very minimal amount (read barely a skim coat) of grease or locksmith graphite is a good idea (just over the area the discs ride on)

Then just take one of the discs and run it back & forth on the input shaft. This would clear and "excess" lubricant of choice you could easily wipe off disc hub and spline before you put clutch in

and + 1 on holding the spline tool with straight inward force vs just letting the disc/PP hang on it while you tighten a few PP bolts to hold everything for me has worked well
Old 03-20-2018, 06:03 AM
9 Second Club

It is common knowledge to lubricate the splines very lightly, and indeed many clutches come with a little sachet of suitable grease.

VERY lightly.

If the tool feels tight into the bearing, you need to find out why. Is it the tool ? Is it the bearing, or most likely the clutch discs are not aligned correctly to enable smooth fitment.

When lining up, just nip the cover up while you are rotating the tool/discs a little. Then when nipped up see if it looks straight, the outer edge of any friction discs look aligned, and also that the tool slide in/out easily.
If not adjust the tool until everything does line up, the discs should still be able to move with the cover only nipped up.
Then again as you fully tighten the cover ensure the tool moves freely throughout tightening and you should be all good.
Old 03-20-2018, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by z-camaro
Most of the resistance seems like it's when the tool is going into the pilot.

Not sure what FSM is, but monster told me no lube on the input shaft.

I appreciate all the suggestions. I'll give it a try pushing in like you mentioned. Also I paid close attention to make sure I got the disk oriented correctly but I'll send a pic to monster to make sure I didn't make an error there.
I actually asked monster about that after reading your RPS thread, and I was specifically told not to do that.
I'm quite sure you got them correct, I just thought it best to mention it.

Regarding the grease, etc, I remember an earlier clutch install with monster and I did overgrease it, and it made it chatter kinda bad, until the grease burned off, so I understand why their advice is what it is. I still do not agree with the recommendation, but it is better to follow their instructions in the event of a warranty issue.
Old 03-20-2018, 07:34 AM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by big hammer
I had to do it
lol. if he said he had to then he had to.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:15 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The plastic install tool is absolute garbage on twin disc clutches. You have absolutely no leverage, you cannot see since it is typically bottomed out as well. I know McLeod said they were releasing an extended steel install tool on Instagram a few months ago, but I use an old input shaft now.

Used to have issues getting it lined up, dropped the trans back out and redoing the PP install several times. Use an input shaft and bam, perfect everytime.
Old 03-20-2018, 01:03 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks for all the suggestions! Will a visual inspection of the pilot to make sure I haven't damaged it (or are you talking damage that I wouldn't be able to see)?

As for grease, reading other threads it sounds like many use white lithium grease, is that what would be recommended? IIRC Monster mentioned that they don't want the grease to get contaminated with clutch dust and end up impeding the sliding of the disk.
Old 03-20-2018, 01:17 PM
12 Second Club

I'm quite sure you got them correct, I just thought it best to mention it.

Regarding the grease, etc, I remember an earlier clutch install with monster and I did overgrease it, and it made it chatter kinda bad, until the grease burned off, so I understand why their advice is what it is. I still do not agree with the recommendation, but it is better to follow their instructions in the event of a warranty issue.
Good to know and good point on the warranty, I don't want any issues there.
Originally Posted by ezzlez28
The plastic install tool is absolute garbage on twin disc clutches. You have absolutely no leverage, you cannot see since it is typically bottomed out as well. I know McLeod said they were releasing an extended steel install tool on Instagram a few months ago, but I use an old input shaft now.

Used to have issues getting it lined up, dropped the trans back out and redoing the PP install several times. Use an input shaft and bam, perfect everytime.
A guy I work with has some old input shafts so I will see if he has one I could use. I see this tool advertised at 26 spline, and 1.125" Click here. That must be the diameter of it where the splines are? I'll ask him to measure his, but does anyone know of this 350 vortec OBS GM trucks would use this same size, or the 5.3? - I don't think this guy works on the newer LS series as much, maybe some 5.3's though.
Old 03-20-2018, 01:40 PM
TECH Veteran

LS1Tech 10 Year

The plastic alignment tool is fine. Just hold it in straight when tightening the PP bolts enough to hold the assembly in place

If you didn't pull the tranny in with bolts than you have not damaged the pilot. Certainly look at it. Run your finger in it to see if you feel any sharp edge.

I use that red thick and sticky wheel bearing grease but again VERY sparingly. Have also used regular lock graphite you buy at any hardware store to lubricate lock cylinders.

whatever you use just take a disc and slide it back and forth on the input spline . That will remove any "excess" grease you use and just wipe that off the disc hub and shaft.

Once you have a few of the PP bolts tightened enough to hold the whole assembly run your fingers around the whole edge of disc. It should be = all around to the PP and not slightly hanging over more on one side

Then just keep the tranny & engine angle = and the trans should just slide all the way in