Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

The last inch

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2018, 08:10 PM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Cb2417

Nice to see that it can be done off jack stands/ramps and by a first time installer. I'm going to do this same install soon and hope all goes smoothly.
Good luck! It helps to have some assistance with getting the trans back in (or a trans jack, but my jack stands weren't tall enough to get the trans on the trans jack under the car). Everything else went pretty smoothly though. Highly recommend a remote speed bleeder.
Old 04-03-2018, 07:42 AM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Just get her to grab your nuts and screw them til it's fully in !
Lol. Ouch, no.
Old 04-03-2018, 07:45 AM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by big hammer
So he had to use the bolts...
....yup. He had to do it. He said he had to do it, so you know he had to do it.
Old 04-05-2018, 08:04 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a brand new TR6060, Quicktime Bellhousing, LT1-S Clutch and that last 3/8 I could not for the life of me get the trans in. Knowing the shaft was engaged in the pilot bearing at this point I decided to pull it in very carefully with the bolts. I put all the bolts in and slowly went around with a 3" 1/4 drive mini ratchet using only 3 fingers placed near the ratchet mechanism and slowly turning each bolt in an X pattern for a half an hour and it essentially pulled in with little to no force at all. Car drives smooth as butter and zero odd noises. As a matter of fact with the boot off you hear the gears spinning in the trans, push the clutch in and silence. I really do not like doing things that way and I think I knew why I had a slight issue after the fact. One of the locating pin holes in the bellhousing had powder coat in it and the other did not. That would do it. Quicktimes trans locating holes are only .005" larger than the pins. That is a very tight and precise fit. That is why it is crucial to have the transmission perfectly straight when trying to "slide" it in.
Old 04-06-2018, 12:27 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

I recently fitted a new Magnum to mine....aside from having to machine clearance for the oil galleries on the front plate of the QT BH....it pushed in easily right up flush. As it should every time.

Something is wrong if you're choosing to use bolts to pull it in. Plain and simple.
Old 04-07-2018, 01:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know many say not to use bolts to pull the trans in, I myself used to be of that school of thought. I'm not anymore. I have done it many times without incident

Is it technically the correct way by the book??? No, obviously. But if you're not a complete idiot about it it will not cause any problems.

When I've done it, the trans is only maybe 1/4" or less from being mated to the bellhousing. I put a few bolts on each side and carefully turn them in by hand with a super stubby ratchet. The force required to turn each bolt is almost non existent.

Yes, if you have the trans hanging way off the bellhousing and start jamming bolts down in a ham-fisted-farmboy style, something is wrong and you'll probably **** something up. But if you are careful and pay attention it's OK to do.

+1 for doing it the wrong way. I do everything the wrong way. LOL. My favorite thing to do the wrong way is to ignore the specified oil viscosity on the fill cap of every internal combustion engine that I own, and instead use my own choice of oil & additives.

The SSR 32 spline T56 hybrid I finished up is another example. Tremec specifies preload and endplay which many on this very board agree is too loose. I ignored Tremecs specs and shimmed tighter. I now have the most whisper quiet 6 speed I've ever seen.

Use common sense and you can do whatever you want with success. Even if it is the "wrong" way!