Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

High pitch whine at 60+ mph

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2018, 09:24 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default High pitch whine at 60+ mph

Car is an 02 Camaro SS, 94k miles, completely stock except for a lid and catback. The clutch and slave are original and from what I've been told the trans has never been out of the car. The previous owner put new axles in the rear end (doorman aftermarket pieces), but he wouldn't elaborate as to why--he only mumbled about bearing noise and that was it.

The noise is loudest from the transmission tunnel area and it only makes noise when in gear, and the clutch pedal is released. With the clutch in and revving the engine, no whining noise exists. The noise becomes a higher pitch as you approach 75-80mph on the freeway. U-joints on the driveshaft look okay and I didn't feel any slop when trying to move the driveshaft back and forth when I was under the car. Clutch fluid looks okay, and the car drives and acts fine, it's just the noise is pretty loud.

I'm in the middle of moving and don't have time to pull the transmission out, but I'm concerned that something internal is on it's way out. I also don't know if the fluid inside the transmission has ever been changed, so I guess I could start with that.

Any ideas?
Old 05-23-2018, 09:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

I have the same noise. Only in 6th, only 60+. Gets louder if I put my hand on the shifter. I can only assume a bearing of some sort, as the hard parts don't typically wear much in these transmissions.
Old 05-24-2018, 01:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

OP

"looking" at U joints won't tell anything unless they are physically broken. You need to remove them and spin/move the ends to feel if there is any binding.

PO said he had axles and bearings replaced....maybe that job needs to be looked at. Jacking up rear end and hand spinning tire or better yet axle to see if you feel or hear anything. "Maybe" one of the outer wheel bearings is going south.

If the car was lowered...the DL angle would be off but that would cause a vibration vs a "whine"....the later more associated with a bearing

If rear gears were changed...install (gear mesh) could be cause

you check the rear diff fluid level?
Old 05-24-2018, 01:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 475 Likes on 365 Posts

T56 style trans? Many of the 5/6 speeds the OD gear is on its own shaft or shares the reverse shaft , and the bearings take a bit of a beating ,, most rigs say don't tow in 5th or 6th gear for example.. When my 5th gear shaft bearing failed it was the front bearing and it made a quite annoying whine for a month before I pulled it, it also whined subtly in reverse as they shared the same shaft.

Good luck!