Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch Replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2018, 09:37 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Replacement?

I have a 2000 Z28 with T56. The clutch has just started to slip in 6th gear when you hit it hard to pass someone. Car is stock except for a tune and SLP lid and future mods may include and actual dyno tune and freer flowing exhaust so not looking to get too crazy, just a nice fun driver that I can go anywhere in.

My question is what would yall recommend for a clutch and what would you replace? I am thinking the clutch, flywheel and throw out bearing. Would it he worth it to put a new slave cylinder in it too?

Thanks in advance for your advice.
Old 07-14-2018, 10:04 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ebay amazon summit...luk 04-905...bolt in ls7 clutch kit....plenty for your car and stock driving/feel..less than $300 to your door....same as $500 in box that says gm on it.
Old 07-14-2018, 12:53 PM
12 Second Club

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Can't got wrong with a Monster Stage 1 for a near stock LS1. Can be a little pricier, but good clutch. Also, the slave cylinder has the throw out bearing it it, and yes, it's a good idea to change the slave cylinder while you're at it.
Old 07-14-2018, 08:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

May consider a "speed bleeder" line if you do a new slave. being extra cheap, I look for what model vehicle has the cheapest slave cylinder. I get that, and just knock the pin holding the input fitting on and then swap it to the new one...
Old 07-18-2018, 12:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

all have their opinions, but after reading for the past 3 days, & calling 4 LS specialty shops in northern cali, & seeing here on the forums & over at LS1DOTCOM i'd say 60% of people with complaints/problems/issues with the ls7 clutch vs 40% with no problems with it, I opted against it. You being at stock power, i would recommend the LUK gold ls1/ls6 clutch kit - it's quite more reliable than what came on the car from the factory if you plan on going not much more than either a mild cam or heads (one or the other). Anything more than that you plan on doing, don't even bother with an ls7 or a stage 1 monster. Do it right the 1st time if you DO plan on going over 400ish at the wheels and spend the $50 extra bucks for the monster stage 2 - read up on how both Tick & monster compare the stage 1 to the ls7 & it will easily make you think "geez screw the ls7", & also read how they compare the stage 2 to the stage 1 & it will make you think the same about the stage 1 !!! i sh*t you not - go to both of their sites & read up on all 3. That & how many people have nothing but trouble with the Ls7 steered me away from it 100%. - LUK GOLD ls1 kit for stock to full bolt ons, monster stage 2 for anything above that - this is my "very well informed after extensive research" opinion.
Old 07-18-2018, 10:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

+1 for the Monster, I have the stage 2, and I autocross.

Quick Reply: Clutch Replacement?