Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 grinding all gears

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2018, 06:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year
Default T56 grinding all gears

so had to get my car towed home over the weekend. was out driving Saturday and all of a sudden the trans started grinding when trying to go into any gear. managed to park it and could not get it into any gears at idle. it wouldn't make any noise dead center in neutral but as soon as I moved the gear shifter either right or left to try to put it into gear it would start grinding and would not go into gear and just grind. I tried shutting it off and putting it into first then starting it and in made a terrible grinding noise so I shut it off. I have the front and rear casing off the trans now and I don't see anything out of the normal, granted I've never opened a t56 before but I don't see any messed up gears or anything. fluid came out out nice and red (had dexIII in it) and it was full. thought the clutch fork had loosened up again (happened last fall) but that was tight. clutch still felt and looks good, no obvious fluid loss or anything. I am thinking the trans needs a rebuild, chassis has 174k on it and I am assuming it is the original trans. anyone have any ideas or what to look at in the trans while I have the casings off it? I have been having issues getting it in reverse the past few months and sometimes first at stop lights so that leads me to believe it needs a rebuild. just trying to narrow the possible issue down before dropping the coin on getting it rebuilt (and probably upgraded while I'm at it). TIA
Old 07-18-2018, 06:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,454 Likes on 1,008 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

What's The Pilot bushing/ bering look like?

They can be hard to get into gear when the Pilot is toast.
Old 07-18-2018, 06:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

pilot bushing looks fine, I put a new brass bushing in last summer when I installed the twin disk and it still looks good

Quick Reply: T56 grinding all gears