Clutch line removal with a problem... - LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

Notices
Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch line removal with a problem...

Old 10-10-2018, 03:11 PM

Default Clutch line removal with a problem...

Hi all! I have a 2000 Camaro Z28 that I have recently discovered I need to replace the braided clutch line on. Thought it was just the master cylinder but no such luck. Anyway so I have the disconnect tool to remove the line and I get ready to pull it out aaaand....turns out the stupid clip that you push in to remove the line is broken. On top of all of this it has long tube headers on it so it makes getting to it very difficult. I've tried using flat had screwdrivers, long reach needle nose pliers, everything I can think of. Can anyone out there please give me any tips at all for getting this thing out?? I really don't want to have to remove the headers but at this point I'll do about anything! Thanks!!
Old 10-10-2018, 05:01 PM
9 Second Club

There are multiple threads already, with pics etc etc. Search
Old 10-10-2018, 06:11 PM

I've read those but have yet to find one with a broken clip that will not press in because it's broken. That is the main thing I am having trouble with. If the clip were not broken I wouldn't be having this issue.
Old 10-10-2018, 06:16 PM
9 Second Club

And as the other threads clearly show...get a new plastic sleeve and just take the thing apart. It's simple.
Old 10-10-2018, 06:31 PM

Ok well how do you propose to get the clip, not the sleeve, on the line? I've gotten several new clips and they snap in the same way trying to get it on the line. I don't know if the guy who I bought it from put some sort of aftermarket line on it or what but the end flares up in a way that the new clip can't be slipped onto it. When you try to pull the clip slightly open to place it over the end, it's too wide and breaks. Probably what happened to the clip that's on it currently. Therefore why I asked about an alternative way to remove it with the existing clip or without use of said clip. If anyone knows a trick of something else to use.
Old 10-10-2018, 06:35 PM
9 Second Club

Post a picture of exactly what you are referring to as "the clip" because on the OEM line there are no "clips". It's a simple quick disconnect with a plastic sleeve that is used to release the mechanism
Old 10-10-2018, 06:42 PM

Ok I've posted it with an explanation. It says it has to be approved by the moderator I guess since there's a picture attached.
Old 10-10-2018, 06:44 PM
9 Second Club

upload the picture to any of the usual image hosting sites and use those.

This one is free and easy

https://postimages.org/
Old 10-11-2018, 10:24 AM

​​​​​I don't know why it keeps saying it had to be checked by the moderator so I'm going to try posting a link. I'm our system at work it comes up as a clutch line disconnect clip. But the fitting on mine is different. It has a lip on the end that is so wide that even by trying to pull the clip open to slip it over the end, it breaks. I guess maybe it is an aftermarket line or something because when I look at the lines we can order none of them have a lip like that.
Clutch line picture
Old 10-11-2018, 11:18 AM
9 Second Club

On that picture above, the plastic sleeve looks broken, or at least different to an LS/T56

This is the correct sleeve you press inwards to release the quick disconnect.

http://monsterclutches.com/1998-2002...aulic-retainer
Old 10-11-2018, 11:57 AM

Yeah that's it. I've gotten several of them and every time I try to put a new one on to get the line out, it breaks. Maybe I'm not putting it on correctly but I've tried different ways to get them on and they always break. But then again if it is an aftermarket line that's on it maybe the sleeve is a different size. It's really got me at a loss.
Old 10-11-2018, 06:12 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by ViralPsychopath View Post
Yeah that's it. I've gotten several of them and every time I try to put a new one on to get the line out, it breaks. Maybe I'm not putting it on correctly but I've tried different ways to get them on and they always break. But then again if it is an aftermarket line that's on it maybe the sleeve is a different size. It's really got me at a loss.
Have you seen the sticky on this, along with the video?

The sleeve would be fitting to the female socket, which is a part of the (stock) slave, so it's going to be a standard thing. Even for an aftermarket Master, that sleeve is going to need to release the fingers on a stock slave.
Old 10-11-2018, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by wssix99 View Post
Have you seen the sticky on this, along with the video?

The sleeve would be fitting to the female socket, which is a part of the (stock) slave, so it's going to be a standard thing. Even for an aftermarket Master, that sleeve is going to need to release the fingers on a stock slave.
The part that goes in on the fitting I know is the oem size. The part that makes me wonder if it's an aftermarket is the lip that comes up off the back that is keeping me from being able to put a new clip on it. I guess the easiest thing to compare it to its on an AC recharge hose that fits on the Schrader valve. How those have the lip at the end for you to put your thumb on to pull back when you're attaching it to the valve? That lip you put your thumb on, it's like the fitting has a lip like that on it. No not three same size. But that's what I mean when I say it has a lip.
Old 10-12-2018, 07:40 AM
Save the manuals!

Did you get the old sleeve out?

What if you take new sleeves and cut them smaller with a dremmel tool? Could you then stack multiple shorter sleeves in there and keep shoving them in?
Old 10-12-2018, 08:54 AM

That might work. I actually had one of my customers this morning suggest cutting a piece of an antifreeze container and trying to use that. I'm willing to try anything at this point!!
Old 10-12-2018, 08:58 AM
9 Second Club

Really, without seeing what the problem is, it's hard to advise. But it is a really simple mechanism.
Old 10-12-2018, 05:22 PM
Save the manuals!

That might work. I actually had one of my customers this morning suggest cutting a piece of an antifreeze container and trying to use that. I'm willing to try anything at this point!!
A plastic bottle or pipe may be less expensive, but you'd have to ask yourself: "Self - what if that quick fix gets jammed in there so bad that we can't get it out at all, ever."

If you do the chopping method for the clips, I'd suggest putting a few pieces of high grade dental floss around each piece that you stuff in there. If, for some reason, you need to pull the cut piece out - maybe you can use the floss as a puller to get it out. (Maybe that won't work, but you may not have much to loose.)

Old 10-12-2018, 07:37 PM
11 Second Club

Hi all! I have a 2000 Camaro Z28 that I have recently discovered I need to replace the braided clutch line on. Thought it was just the master cylinder but no such luck. Anyway so I have the disconnect tool to remove the line and I get ready to pull it out aaaand....turns out the stupid clip that you push in to remove the line is broken. On top of all of this it has long tube headers on it so it makes getting to it very difficult. I've tried using flat had screwdrivers, long reach needle nose pliers, everything I can think of. Can anyone out there please give me any tips at all for getting this thing out?? I really don't want to have to remove the headers but at this point I'll do about anything! Thanks!!
When you push in and pull on it does it move at all? You should be able to push in on it and with a flat head screwdriver or angle pick push the sides of the plastic sleeve down into the female end and then pull on the male end of the line to remove.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: