Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Monster clutch reviews wanted

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2019, 09:39 PM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Norbit2
LT1-S Drives like a factory car, little heavier pedal feel but absolutely no noise! I have it paired with a Tick Master.
My LT1-S makes some noise from about 1500-2000 RPMs worst being in 4th gear. Monster says it's from undamped discs, and if you look over on the GTO forums there are some threads about it. By changing my driving habits a little it isn't very noticeable, and I would recommend the clutch.
Old 02-10-2019, 09:52 AM
Launching!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Had the stage 3 and absolutely hated it. Was like an on off switch and the slave cylinder that came with the kit was junk right out of the box. When talking to them they blamed the install on everything, bolts not tight and backing out, not bleed correctly, ect. My buddy had the stage 2 with a tick master and you basically had to stand on the pedal. I hated the clutch because I like to ride the clutch alittle off a stop and it was an on off switch. I removed the stage 3 after 500 miles and installed an ls7. I have the rxt twin disk now and love it. My wife's 86 trans am is getting a C5 z06 motor and I will probably run an ls7 clutch.
Old 02-10-2019, 12:01 PM
Launching!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

How funny, I just wrote this review last night.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...alf-abuse.html
Old 02-10-2019, 12:03 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Mgill
Had the stage 3 and absolutely hated it. Was like an on off switch and the slave cylinder that came with the kit was junk right out of the box. When talking to them they blamed the install on everything, bolts not tight and backing out, not bleed correctly, ect. My buddy had the stage 2 with a tick master and you basically had to stand on the pedal. I hated the clutch because I like to ride the clutch alittle off a stop and it was an on off switch. I removed the stage 3 after 500 miles and installed an ls7. I have the rxt twin disk now and love it. My wife's 86 trans am is getting a C5 z06 motor and I will probably run an ls7 clutch.
wow this was not my experience at all. My stage 2 was amazing. Installing stage 3 now as we speak
Old 02-10-2019, 12:05 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by onebadbowtie86
I have a stage 2 and probably 430-450 rwhp. No chatter. Drives excellent, like a stock clutch.
same here. Love the stage 2. Really nice to drive even in traffic. Almost like stock and holds the power no problem.
Old 02-10-2019, 01:01 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got my monster stage 2
i will be installing next month sometime
we will see what happens
Old 02-12-2019, 01:48 PM
Launching!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SiskMan

wow this was not my experience at all. My stage 2 was amazing. Installing stage 3 now as we speak
if the slave cyl wasn't garbage and it wasn't an on/off switch I probably would have been ok with it. Personal preference I guess. Although my buddy bought one for his c5 and ended up getting 3 warranty slave cylinders from them until he just ordered an oem one.
Old 02-12-2019, 04:18 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Mgill
if the slave cyl wasn't garbage and it wasn't an on/off switch I probably would have been ok with it. Personal preference I guess. Although my buddy bought one for his c5 and ended up getting 3 warranty slave cylinders from them until he just ordered an oem one.
the kit i got came with an OEM slave and a tick master with a remote bleeder. havent had a single problem. im sure there have been issues though, no one/company/product is perfect.
Old 02-12-2019, 04:33 PM
TECH Resident

Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

LT1-S here. The 4th gear noise produced due to the lack of dampening is not ideal for a street car and the noise does seem to worsen as time goes on. That said, the clutch is very predictable and easy to modulate. I use a Tick MC with a 3/4 bore Tildon and the engagement window is nice and wide.

The clutches I've run in the past include the LS1, LS7, McLeod Twin and now a Monster LT1-S twin. My favorite clutch up to this point is the LS7.

My $.02.
Old 02-13-2019, 06:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I should have been over 600 at the crank on the monster stage 2, just pulled it for a motor tear-down and it looks like it's in great shape. Drives like a normal clutch.
Old 02-17-2019, 11:03 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 98cherrySS
LT1-S here. The 4th gear noise produced due to the lack of dampening is not ideal for a street car and the noise does seem to worsen as time goes on. That said, the clutch is very predictable and easy to modulate. I use a Tick MC with a 3/4 bore Tildon and the engagement window is nice and wide.

The clutches I've run in the past include the LS1, LS7, McLeod Twin and now a Monster LT1-S twin. My favorite clutch up to this point is the LS7.

My $.02.
That is unfortunate to hear, I recall them telling me it would get slightly better over time. Which McLeod did you have and how did it compare to the LT1-S?
The noise really should be advertised, I chose it because I figured it would be the quietest and best mannered since it is a "factory" clutch.
Old 02-18-2019, 08:10 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by z-camaro
That is unfortunate to hear, I recall them telling me it would get slightly better over time. Which McLeod did you have and how did it compare to the LT1-S?
The noise really should be advertised, I chose it because I figured it would be the quietest and best mannered since it is a "factory" clutch.
I chose it for the same reasons, it was advertised as an LS1 adapted stock clutch. Aside from the noise, it is a well mannered clutch.

I had an Mcleod RST however it began chattering before full break-in and after break-in it was shaking the **** out of the car. I called McLeod and they paid for me to send in the entire assembly for evaluation. They concluded that the pressure plate was warped (manufacturer defect). They replaced the clutch and flywheel in about a week which was much faster than I expected. Below are a few pics of the hot spotting of the warped McLeod assembly.

I bought the LT1-S when I shipped the defective McLeod out because I had a WannaGoFast 1/2 mile race 2 weeks away and I didn't expect to have the replacement RST back in time to break-in and race. I installed the LT1-S, broke it in, and have now had it for about 11,000 miles. When I received the replacement RST from McLeod, I sold it.

Fast forward a year or so and I find myself installing a new RST into a friends car. 2 years of street driving and 1/4 mile track outings later his RST clutch drives perfect. I have a few hours of drive time in his car and I must admit that I would go with the RST over the LT1-S if given the choice now. If only to not have to deal with the 4th gear noise from the LT1-S. The noise issue should be noted in their descriptions if it isn't already.

I think my experience with the defective RST was rare and McLeod's customer service was surprisingly helpful and fair.

To compare the two, I'd say that the RST has a little less initial bite but is smoother overall engagement. The RST has a light pedal and with a stock MC, the engagement window is wide with a linear range of slip, meaning I can slip the clutch and it still has enough bite to partially grab without fully engaging. Makes for a nicer experience in Atlanta traffic. The RST is silent in my buddy's car so I assume that is the standard. One thing to note, if I were planning to use my car for racing only, I'd then probably keep the LT1-S. It's beefier. It seems to be fine with abuse. It has never slipped or chattered and it is very predictable.

Old 02-18-2019, 10:41 AM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

What is those noise you keep referring to in 4th ?

There is no reason a clutch should make any noise when it is engaged.
Old 02-18-2019, 01:12 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by stevieturbo

It's a resonance/rumble sound. It sounds hollow and is sort of a mid to low frequency coming from the trans tunnel. I though it was a TO bearing initially but the sound remained after replacement. I swapped my old LS7 clutch in and the sound went away. My old LS7 clutch is trashed so put the LT1-S back in and have lived with the sound ever since. It's not terrible but it's there.

I made a thread a while back about it and Monster chimed in indicating that the LT1-S makes noise in 4th due to hub not being dampened. 4th gear being 1:1 ratio apparently transmits vibrations in such a way that creates the noise.

Now after riding in two other cars with the LT1-S clutch, I have accepted it to be normal behavior for this clutch.
Old 02-18-2019, 01:30 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

I've had a few clutches, all solid hub and never had any noises.
Old 02-18-2019, 04:59 PM
TECH Resident

I've had a few clutches, all solid hub and never had any noises.
From what I've observed, the way that the 1st and 2nd disks interlock on the LT1-S may play a role. There is a little slop in the outer splines of the 1st disk (the one that contacts the flywheel) and interface of the female hub of the 2nd disk. Seems like when conditions are right (harmonics, etc.), the contact they make with each other would potentially amplify noise.

Old 02-18-2019, 08:25 PM
12 Second Club

If you listen close it's right at the start of the video.
Old 03-05-2019, 09:06 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same noise, mainly 4th gear. Rpm rebuilt my trans, sent them a video of the noise but they either said it's the clutch or pilot bearing which are new also. Made sure that I measured if shims needed and all. It is annoying but other than that the clutch itself is great so far. Haven't been to drive the car much since it's been raining out here and Cali is now enforcing exhaust decibel law!!!
Old 04-10-2019, 07:40 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Eiyse98ls1
I have the same noise, mainly 4th gear. Rpm rebuilt my trans, sent them a video of the noise but they either said it's the clutch or pilot bearing which are new also. Made sure that I measured if shims needed and all. It is annoying but other than that the clutch itself is great so far. Haven't been to drive the car much since it's been raining out here and Cali is now enforcing exhaust decibel law!!!
Decibel law... Ugh. I do alot of traveling all over Cali and love the weather but I could never live there!