Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Hard to shift T56 at redline

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 01:22 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Hard to shift T56 at redline

I am having trouble shifting my T56 LS1 GTO. It only appears near redline and full load. Shifting from first to second or second to third is essentially blocked until the RPM drops. It comes out of gear normally, but won't go into the next gear.

Normal driving is not affected. It shifts the same way it always has. The car has an LS7 clutch setup that was installed about 60k ago. It's a daily driver. I wouldn't be surprised that it needs a new clutch, but is there anything else to check first?
Old 01-10-2019, 11:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

If you search more, you will probably find that there is something with the self-adjusters on the (assuming stock) clutch that IIRC dont allow for full disengagement at top RPM.
Old 01-10-2019, 01:01 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Is the master adjusted properly?
Old 01-10-2019, 05:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If those don't help, try bleeding it.
Old 01-28-2019, 07:19 PM
Teching In

The master cylinder is a stock non-adjustable type. I will have to try bleeding it. It has a remote bleeder on it that makes it a lot easier. It's also got a noise shifting 1-2 and 2-3 that sounds a lot like synchros (slight whining/whirring). It's getting up there in miles (105k).

The engagement point is the same place it has always been, towards the top of the travel (last 1/3 or so). There is no drag on the trans from it not releasing. I put it in first gear and revved it to over 5,000, and no motion forward with the clutch released.
Old 02-10-2019, 08:33 PM
Teching In

The transmission has a whining noise in first, second and third. It gets louder when shifting. The noise is gone in fourth gear. From what I have seen, it sounds like a bearing problem, combined with worn synchros.

Here is a Youtube video of the sound. It's hard to film and shift at the same time. I had the phone in my hand while shifting. But, it's the sound that's important...

Old 02-10-2019, 09:17 PM
10 Second Club

Received 464 Likes on 363 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

It's probably your pressure plate op.

ls7 clutch is a overweight pile of poo.
Old 02-11-2019, 10:02 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
It's probably your pressure plate op.

ls7 clutch is a overweight pile of poo.
If it’s the pressure plate, that doesn’t explain the transmission whine when in gear. It whines in first, second and third, but not fourth. From all I have seen, the whine is characteristic of internal bearing issues.

In any case, it’s coming out. The clutch is getting replaced with a Monster twin disk LT1-S. I think I’m going to have Tick rebuild the trans at the same time and do some upgrades to it. The car has 105k on it. I’ve had it since new in 2004.
Old 02-11-2019, 10:47 PM
10 Second Club

Received 464 Likes on 363 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

I had a t56 that whined but was fine. But there could be a issue there. More times than not high rpm shift issues is the pressure plate.
Old 04-29-2019, 07:06 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by llafro
The transmission has a whining noise in first, second and third. It gets louder when shifting. The noise is gone in fourth gear. From what I have seen, it sounds like a bearing problem, combined with worn synchros.

Here is a Youtube video of the sound. It's hard to film and shift at the same time. I had the phone in my hand while shifting. But, it's the sound that's important...

Youtube video
Did you ever find out the cause? Mine does the same exact things. Hard to shift hot and whines like yours.
Old 04-30-2019, 08:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

If your transmission is whining in 1st-3rd, goes silent in 4th and develops noise in 5th-6th, most likely it is your input shaft and counter shaft that is worn.

As for the lock out at high RPMs, it very well could be the pressure plate creating this issue by not being able to overcome the centrifugal forces being applied at those RPMs. It could also be that the hydraulic cylinders (either one) isn't apply enough movement to the release bearing to completely unload the pressure plate at high RPMs. I would go with the pressure plate being the issue if I had to choose.
Old 05-01-2019, 05:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

What do you guys recommend for a stock replacement clutch? I've heard good and bad about the ls7 clutch that was my plan for a clutch a good stock replace type clutch that could handle 500 hp and that wad affordable.

Thanks