Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Pedal at floor even after repair

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2019, 05:18 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pedal at floor even after repair

I’ve replaced my clutch master cyclinder and did a drill mod on my hydraulic line. I’ve hooked everything back up and bled the system, no more air bubbles. But the pedal still goes almost all the way to the floor. There is about half an inch at the very end where I feel the pedal tighten and I can a squeaking sound from the bell housing. Do I have a bad slave cylinder, or do I have something else wrong. I appreciate any advice anyone can give, thanks
Old 01-26-2019, 05:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 475 Likes on 354 Posts

They can be very hard to get all the air out, I had to bleed mine three different times to get a good pedal.
Old 01-26-2019, 06:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Well, after I've bled my clutch, it was soft and on the floor, but it was OK after I "pumped it up" about 5 more times (when everything closed up tight). Maybe try that too.
Old 01-26-2019, 08:15 PM
Teching In

I’ve properly bled the clutch over 30 times, and there was no change at the pedal.
Old 01-26-2019, 11:01 PM
12 Second Club

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Bleeding the clutch is a nightmare, you could still have air. But, I don't know what your original problem was, there may have been nothing wrong with the master. You could have an issue with your pressure plate or something if it won't disengage. I continually had problem with my clutch hydraulics until I bought a Tick master. The slave would fail by leaking.
Old 01-28-2019, 06:01 AM

Received 1,851 Likes on 1,152 Posts

The pressure plate is what provides return pressure for your clutch. Depending on the age of your vehicle and clutch, and if it is stock with that eff-wording self adjuster, it may be you have a pressure plate issue. If you have completely ruled out hydraulics, that is what is left.
Old 02-04-2019, 10:06 AM
Teching In

So I have tried to bleed it the traditional way so many times now that I have lost count. I was able to get the pedal to work about have way, but I feel like there was still air in the system. I tried to use the JMD Bleed Method after reading a few different posts here, but I think I may have done it wrong. I made a hose with a spark plug boot at the end, cracked the bleed valve open a little, put the boot end on the bleed valve, then went to pump the clutch. After pressing the clutch down 3 times, any pressure the system had was gone. I went under the car to look, and I could see that a good amount of fluid came out and went into the tubing, but the fluid was not at the end of the bleed valve, it had traveled further down the tube, and between the fluid and the bleed valve was nothing but a pocket of air now. I checked the reservoir, and that was fine. I tried pumping the clutch pedal some more, but that won't do anything. Does anyone have any suggestions? Should I have placed the other end of the tube in some brake fluid? Not sure if that would have helped the system hold enough pressure to keep pumping the fluid through.