Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Help with LS1 Auto - Manual Swap (Pilot Bushing)

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2019, 05:06 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Help with LS1 Auto - Manual Swap (Pilot Bushing)

Hey all,

I'm working on swapping my auto to a t56 in my 99 Trans Am. I installed the pilot bushing, and the transmission doesn't want to fit. I tested the bushing before install, and it fit nice and snug. Has anyone ran into this problem with a swap?

Also, my plastic alignment tool fit just fine, but I went ahead and ordered a Quater Master Alignment Tool (1-5/32 x 26 SPLINE) 660091, and it was the same story. Fit the bushing nice and snug before install, and after install, doesn't fit!

Any ideas? I used the loaner tool from autozone, the bearing and race tool , to install the bushing (smallest one , and just hammer it in). Looks PERFECT.

My current idea is to get the quarter master tool and hammer it in.... maybe this is why guys will use bolts to mate the tranny to the block?

Thanks all!
Old 02-15-2019, 05:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 524 Likes on 372 Posts

The alignment tool is a copy of the input shaft on the trans.

If it doesn't go in and out easy the trans wont.

You may have the clutch disc out of alignment causing the issue. Loosen the pressure plate or remove it and see if the tool will go in. If it will put it in and lightly snug the pressure plate bolts. Then move the disc up and down and all around and find the exact center and where the alignment tool slips in and out the easiest. Then tighten the PP the rest of the way and again check the slip in and out.

If none of that works I suspect you may have rolled the edge on the bushing putting it in, or it just isn't the right bushing. Inspect the inside of it carefully and if there is a ridge yank it out and put in another, or sand it or hit it with a burr knife, or a pipe burr tool. If it looks perfect pull it out and try another brand.

I install them with just a socket and a hammer but I make sure I use the broad size of the socket (the side the ratchet goes in) and I make sure it is a size that contacts the bushing completely flat and flush.

You also have to make absolutely sure it's straight and stays straight, here is where gently gently and not merrily merrily is important. Go slow and easy and watch it for being straight as you go in. After you do a ton of them you get a feel for it.
Old 02-15-2019, 06:54 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

THANK YOU! I took the bushing back, got a new one, tapped it in SLOWWWWWW. Checked with my quarter master after every few steps, and now the quarter master slides right in! I believe this will do it.

Thanks again...
Old 02-15-2019, 07:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 524 Likes on 372 Posts

Good to hear!

And no problem