Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Tranny won't engage the gears

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2019, 09:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny won't engage the gears

Hi guys this is my first forum post so bear with me. I have a 2000 Trans Am with a few mods. Nothing too crazy. Last August I was driving it to work like always and as I was going to go into 6th I heard a sort of like a clunk maybe and it wouldn't do it. In fact it wouldn't go into any gear. The clutch had the same pressure as always but as I kept trying to put it into any gear but nothing would happen. You can't even hear it try to grab or engage or anything. 2nd and 4th were going because the previous owner beat it but now you can't even hear that grinding. I'm going to start checking the clutch, slave, etc but I wanted to know if anyone had any advice on what it could be at first. I thought maybe the shifter came loose but I checked that yesterday. Thanks guys.
Old 03-11-2019, 01:33 PM
Teching In

I'm no transmission guru but can you shift into the gears fine while its off?

And the BEST way to determine if you clutch hydralics are crap is to raise the rear of the vehicle, and start it in first gear while pressing the pedal. If the tires start moving, that means its not fully disengaged. So simple but a damn good test.
Old 03-11-2019, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by raxxus
I'm no transmission guru but can you shift into the gears fine while its off
I can turn on the car in any gear. I've tried turning on the car in every gear but it won't even lurch forward or turn off. I can shift into different gears regardless of it being on or off and still I don't feel anything grabbing.