Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Mid-rebuild, need serious help

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2019, 11:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Mid-rebuild, need serious help

So I'm nearing the end of the rebuild on my t56. With the gearbox's help, got all of my shims installed, endplay and preload for all three shafts is correct. However I have one major issue now. With the trans in neutral, if I spin the input shaft, the output shaft will turn as well. If I shift into a gear, the whole unit locks up, and I cannot turn it at all.

During assembly, right after I put the main case back on, I checked that I could freely turn the input shaft and that the output would not spin. It was only after I installed the shift guide pins and then pressed on 5-6 that I noticed the issue. On top of that, I can shift into every gear but first (shifter goes about halfway up and stops, pops back out if I attempt to rotate anything).

I took the front cover off and checked that the guide pins were installed correctly, but for the life of me I can't figure out what's going on.

Last edited by HappySalesman; 03-13-2019 at 01:21 AM. Reason: Wrong gear
Old 03-13-2019, 06:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Got the main case back off. As soon as I removed the guide pins, everything worked normally. I'm able to rotate the input shaft by hand and hold the output in place. This leads me to believe I've got something wrong or misaligned with the shifter linkage. I'll post a pic in a second, can anyone tell me if I've got this correct?
Old 03-13-2019, 07:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Old 03-13-2019, 11:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well I am at a loss. Put the main case back on, put the guide bolts in, everything was working great. Installed countershaft extension, checked, everything worked normally. Pressed 5-6 back on, checked, everything worked normally. Awesome, had no idea what the issue is, but it seems to have been fixed. Came in, ate dinner, went back out and all of a sudden the issue is back again. Seems to be 1st is engaged based on the turns I'm seeing. Trans turns in gear though. I have to turn both the input and the output by hand but it will rotate, but it's a bitch to do.

I'm at a loss. Is it cause the synchros are new? The friction material is just biting so much that it's (when applying hand torque to it) basically keeping the unit locked in gear?
Old 03-15-2019, 07:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Damn, 3 threads in this board and not a single reply lol.

I spoke with Jeremy at tick and our guess is that a synchro is just grabbing hard since they're so new. Especially since the trans has sat end up I'm guessing the fluid drained out of them which is making them a little sticky