Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 Viper Mainshaft Cutting Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2019, 03:40 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default T56 Viper Mainshaft Cutting Question

Hi guys, I’m in need of some help. I bought a T56 with Hawk’s level Viper upgrade kit installed a while back ago. Two nights ago, I was out measuring for driveshaft length when I noticed that the output shaft poked out two inches passed the seal.

The transmission is in the car (1972 Nova), so I was thinking about cutting it myself (I called a bunch of machine shops in my are and no one is willing to do it).

I guess my my biggest question would be how much of it to cut off? Should I cut it flush with the seal?

Any help or advice will be appreciated.

Last edited by hcb1700; 06-25-2019 at 09:53 AM.
Old 06-22-2019, 05:00 PM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

Well without taking a lot of it apart....you would not be able to cut any further than that.

My old T56 with the Viper mainshaft was cut pretty much flush with the seal, maybe it sticking out 1/4" or so.

Grinder with a thin stainless cutting disc will cut through it easily. Just make sure no debris from cutting can get inside the box.
Old 06-22-2019, 05:08 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Well without taking a lot of it apart....you would not be able to cut any further than that.

My old T56 with the Viper mainshaft was cut pretty much flush with the seal, maybe it sticking out 1/4" or so.

Grinder with a thin stainless cutting disc will cut through it easily. Just make sure no debris from cutting can get inside the box.
Did you have any vibration issues? I would like to cut less then 1.5 inches since the viper output shaft splines don’t run back very much.
Old 06-22-2019, 05:18 PM
9 Second Club

I'm stating what length mine was, I got mine elsewhere some 11 years ago, I did not need to cut it.
Old 06-22-2019, 05:44 PM
TECH Regular

I'm stating what length mine was, I got mine elsewhere some 11 years ago, I did not need to cut it.
Got it. Thank you.
Old 06-22-2019, 06:06 PM
TECH Regular

Old 06-22-2019, 07:03 PM
9 Second Club

Holy **** that's long.

Although if your shaft works with it, the yoke fully engages without bottoming out, then probably no need to cut it.

But odd they've left it so long.
Old 06-22-2019, 07:47 PM
TECH Regular

It does bottom out, but when I was filling out the driveshaft order form, it asks how much the output shaft protrudes the tail shaft, and this far exceeded any measurement on the sheet.
Old 06-23-2019, 03:17 AM
9 Second Club

Then cut it.

Although I also found that the Hardy Spicer yoke like you have was very long itself, and on mine it bottomed out inside the box. I bought a billet yoke instead which was much shorter, although I could have cut the inner end shorter.
Old 06-23-2019, 10:14 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by hcb1700
It does bottom out, but when I was filling out the driveshaft order form, it asks how much the output shaft protrudes the tail shaft, and this far exceeded any measurement on the sheet.

Well, I went back and double checked and it is not bottoming out on the tailhousing. The yoke engages fully, and the shaft spins without issues.

Im going to call Tick or Hawks tomorrow to see what they say. If I have to cut, I’ve already ordered a good cutting and grinding wheel.

I’ll follow up for future reference.

Last edited by hcb1700; 06-24-2019 at 09:42 AM.
Old 06-24-2019, 10:47 PM
TECH Regular

Ok guys, I spoke to someone at Haws and Tick earlier today. Things just keep getting more and more confusing. The tech person at Hawks informed me that they don't cut the output shaft, and that they've never had any issues with it. He said that I could cut the output shaft, but that it was not necessary, as long as it did not bottom out.

As for Ticks transmission builder, he said to cut it. He said that when it comes time to install the driveshaft, that the yoke would bottom out. I have a feeling that he thought that this was going into a 4th gen f-body car, even though I told him that it would be going in a Nova.

I went out to take another look at the transmission. I read through other threads and saw that people worried about enough engagement and whether the yoke goes past the bushing. So I backed the yoke out about 1" and the yoke goes up to the line seen in the image. I am planning on ordering my driveshaft from Strange Engineering, so I think I'm going to make one more phone call to see what they say.

I hope to get as much information as possible, and I will continue to update this thread for anyone that comes across this issue in the future. Many of the threads out there are not very helpful when it comes to this topic.
Old 06-25-2019, 12:23 PM
9 Second Club

There is no confusion.

If you need to cut it as the shaft is installed on your car...then cut it.

If you dont, then dont.
Old 07-03-2019, 01:57 PM
TECH Regular

Well guys, I'm back for an update. I spoke to Ryan over at Hawks last week. He informed me that they don't cut the shafts, and that I can go ahead and run it with my custom length driveshaft (went with a Strange Engineering chromoly shaft). I'm hoping to get the driveshaft in early next week. I will update as soon as that is in.
Old 07-04-2019, 12:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,499 Likes on 935 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Post a picture of the yoke. My main concern is whether or not the yoke is fully supported by the tail shaft bushing.

Andrew
Old 07-04-2019, 02:20 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by hcb1700
Ok guys, I spoke to someone at Haws and Tick earlier today. Things just keep getting more and more confusing. The tech person at Hawks informed me that they don't cut the output shaft, and that they've never had any issues with it. He said that I could cut the output shaft, but that it was not necessary, as long as it did not bottom out.

As for Ticks transmission builder, he said to cut it. He said that when it comes time to install the driveshaft, that the yoke would bottom out. I have a feeling that he thought that this was going into a 4th gen f-body car, even though I told him that it would be going in a Nova.

I went out to take another look at the transmission. I read through other threads and saw that people worried about enough engagement and whether the yoke goes past the bushing. So I backed the yoke out about 1" and the yoke goes up to the line seen in the image. I am planning on ordering my driveshaft from Strange Engineering, so I think I'm going to make one more phone call to see what they say.

I hope to get as much information as possible, and I will continue to update this thread for anyone that comes across this issue in the future. Many of the threads out there are not very helpful when it comes to this topic.
Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
Post a picture of the yoke. My main concern is whether or not the yoke is fully supported by the tail shaft bushing.

Andrew

Post 11 shows where I measured with the slip yoke backed out 1”. That mark on the housing is how far the yoke will end up in the housing.

That was/is my main concern going into this.
Old 07-04-2019, 03:09 PM
9 Second Club

What's actually stopping it going in further ?

The yoke hitting the end of the shaft, or the inner part of the yoke hitting something inside the box ?

Or your shaft is too short for either of the above to occur ?
Old 07-04-2019, 03:13 PM
TECH Regular

What's actually stopping it going in further ?

The yoke hitting the end of the shaft, or the inner part of the yoke hitting something inside the box ?

Or your shaft is too short for either of the above to occur ?
The yoke will bottom out on the output shaft and not inside of the box. This transmission is in my ‘72 Nova. I was measuring for a custom driveshaft, so I backed the yoke out an 1”.
Old 08-08-2019, 10:53 AM
TECH Regular

Well guys, I’m back after a while with an update. I went with Ryan’s advice and decided not to cut the output shaft. I ordered my new driveshaft from Strange, test fitted the shaft, painted, and it’s now installed in the car. I haven’t driven it yet, as I just finished doing the battery relocation. I have to make the power steering line before I can start the car.

I will post an update once the car is running.
Old 08-08-2019, 10:56 AM
TECH Regular

This is my Nova.