Old 07-18-2004, 02:18 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have hurst shifter and austin qwik stick and i love it
Old 07-19-2004, 04:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Ru2n00n3er
But how do they eliminate the 2-3 mishift? Even with my stock hurst shifter I find it difficult to miss that shift, if I'm somewhat gentle with it it will simply "slip" from 2 into 3. If I try and ram it forward however, shifting it super fast, then I can throw it into 1st. I've done this street driving once to test, I'm careful at the track.
So do the 5.0 and b&m allow you to completely "slam" it from 2-3? Is that where there benefit comes in? So in that way can you shift quicker, because you don't have to be as careful? Thanks.
With my lowly stock T/A's shifter, I would often end up slamming it into a kind of notch between 1st and 3rd when I was trying to shift really quickly. It was a combination of my newness to driving manual and the shifter itself. When I got a Ripper, the problem went away altogether, because the gears are laid out in a pattern more like \|\|\ than |/|/| so that when you slam it from 2nd to 3rd, all you are doing is pushing it straight forward. It's actually difficult to misshift and stick it into 1st.
Old 07-19-2004, 05:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Hurst plus LSS here, and I also love it. I wasn't too sure about doing this mod until I acutally finished it and took it out for a spin. For me, it feels like my hand being closer to the shift points makes me more secure on my shifts. Mostly, I just like the fact that the shifts notch into place better than with the stock Hurst stick.

-Mike
Old 07-21-2004, 03:02 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I replaced my stock shifter with the pro5.0/LSS. I used to hit a brick wall between the 2nd-3rd shift with the stock shifter, now I hit it everytime. It is also a lot quicker. I am not sure if my stock shifter was hurst, but if it was, it sucked... bad.

Now, my bro has a 2000SS with the hurst shifter and we just replaced the hurst stick with the LSS. It goes well, and shifts great.

All we did when replacing the shifter stick was take the shift **** and the shift boot off, and unscrewed the bolts. Took 10 minutes.
Old 07-21-2004, 03:18 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by GregP
Just make sure you use the correct transmission fluid (Dextron ATF). If you go to heavier fluid, the short stick will seem pretty awful.

Maybe I am missing something here, why would you have to change the tranny fluid when changing the shifter? Am I the only one that doesn't get this?
Old 07-23-2004, 03:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

I replaced my factory Hurst with a Pro 5.0 and couldn't be happier. I didn't try a short stick on the Hurst, but as delivered it was WEAK and the worst $300 option I have ever checked off. I had a Pro 5.0 in my 1989 GT and loved it. Very positive feel to the shift without being overly notchy. I have heard some folks complain that the 5.0 doesn't have enough "return", but mine is perfect.
Old 07-23-2004, 04:23 PM
TECH Regular

pro 5.0 & lss here.. what more could anyone want?

Quick Reply: Just ordered Lou's short stick!