Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Just ordered Lou's short stick!

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2004, 12:59 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just ordered Lou's short stick!

I'll be using it with my factory Hurst. I have heard very good things about this combo and my goal is to eliminate the rubbery feel and have a shorter, more precise throw. Can't wait till it comes in!

I saw the writeup on how to install it on installuniversity.com....anyone have anything else to add when installing this? Thanks!
Old 07-13-2004, 01:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just finished installing the LSS myself. You don't need to remove all of the console, just the part over the shifter. all you gotta do is open up the arm rest, lift up the coin holder, and unscrew the two 7mm hexhead screws and lift it over the shifter. Oh you might wanna remove the ashtray light and place it aside so it doesnt break. Just follow the instructions the shifter comes with. It took me about 40mins(would of been shorter but dropped a washer through the carpet). Looks great and feels a lot nicer, i tried to miss 2-3 shifts on purpose and haven't been able to do it yet! Good luck.
Old 07-13-2004, 01:51 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by freakynipples69
I just finished installing the LSS myself. You don't need to remove all of the console, just the part over the shifter. all you gotta do is open up the arm rest, lift up the coin holder, and unscrew the two 7mm hexhead screws and lift it over the shifter. Oh you might wanna remove the ashtray light and place it aside so it doesnt break. Just follow the instructions the shifter comes with. It took me about 40mins(would of been shorter but dropped a washer through the carpet). Looks great and feels a lot nicer, i tried to miss 2-3 shifts on purpose and haven't been able to do it yet! Good luck.
Did you have to move the parking brake up to the 90 degree angle like they say?
Old 07-13-2004, 07:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1ssmokinls1
i just put the parking brake up like normal.
Old 07-13-2004, 08:09 PM
Staging Lane

I'll be using it with my factory Hurst. I have heard very good things about this combo and my goal is to eliminate the rubbery feel and have a shorter, more precise throw. Can't wait till it comes in!

I saw the writeup on how to install it on installuniversity.com....anyone have anything else to add when installing this? Thanks!

I have one and I love it. The install is EASY. Took me about 20 minutes, and that included beer time. Just make sure you use the correct transmission fluid (Dextron ATF). If you go to heavier fluid, the short stick will seem pretty awful.
Old 07-13-2004, 10:47 PM
TECH Resident

No, you don't remove the entire console.
Unscrew the shifter ****.
Open console, Remove coin holder, undo 2 bolts.
Pull small section of console out.
Should leave plenty of room to do your install w/o pulling the entire console.
Old 07-13-2004, 11:59 PM
On The Tree

I just got my pro 5.0 and havent installed it yet. Was wondering if i should buy the lss for it or just cut down the 5.0 stick an inch and save myself 50 bucks? Let me know
Old 07-14-2004, 01:36 AM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Use some blue loc-tite on the bolts. They will loosen if you don't put thread lock on them.
Old 07-14-2004, 08:10 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by GregP
I have one and I love it. The install is EASY. Took me about 20 minutes, and that included beer time. Just make sure you use the correct transmission fluid (Dextron ATF). If you go to heavier fluid, the short stick will seem pretty awful.

Yea, I don't put anything in the car that's not recommended. I haven't even had to touch the tranny fluid yet anyway.
Old 07-14-2004, 08:11 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by JamRWS6
No, you don't remove the entire console.
Unscrew the shifter ****.
Open console, Remove coin holder, undo 2 bolts.
Pull small section of console out.
Should leave plenty of room to do your install w/o pulling the entire console.
sounds pretty easy. thanks for the help guys.
Old 07-14-2004, 09:07 AM
12 Second Club

I asked this question in another section but noone helped me. I need to buy a new shift stick because the rubber peice on my stock one has worn off. I'm wondering if I should upgrade my shifter at the same time. I don't really understand the benefit of a pro 5.0 or a ripper over a factory hurst shifter. Do they have more accurate throws, are they more reliable, sturdy etc. I understand getting a shorter stick because it means less distance travelled in the throw but I don't understand why an aftermarket shifter is better.
Old 07-14-2004, 09:59 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Ru2n00n3er
I asked this question in another section but noone helped me. I need to buy a new shift stick because the rubber peice on my stock one has worn off. I'm wondering if I should upgrade my shifter at the same time. I don't really understand the benefit of a pro 5.0 or a ripper over a factory hurst shifter. Do they have more accurate throws, are they more reliable, sturdy etc. I understand getting a shorter stick because it means less distance travelled in the throw but I don't understand why an aftermarket shifter is better.

Well, from what I read, if you have a factory hurst you can eliminate the long throws and the rubbery feel because it eliminates the rubber peice altogether.

The Pro 5.0 and the Ripper supposedly eliminate the 2-3 shift problem. There was a guy over on ls1.com who posted about the differences and did comparisons between the LSS and hurst setup to the Pro 5.0 setup and really didnt find any reason to spend the extra money for the Pro 5.0. Unless your whole shifter is shot, you may as well just get the short stick for 50 bucks. If your not happy, you can always purchase a pro 5.0 or ripper and add the LSS to that setup also.
Old 07-14-2004, 10:11 AM
10 Second Club

I pulled this from a website:

"reduces shifter throw by 17%. It has a bend toward the driver (left) of approximately 25 degrees and a bend toward the rear of approximately 5 degrees."

So it's not exactly the same as just cutting down your stock/aftermarket shifter stick.

Dan
Old 07-14-2004, 07:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Every gear will *click* right into place. WTF...transmission fluid??? I dunno what he is talking about.
Old 07-15-2004, 08:59 PM
Staging Lane

Okay, well I got the shifter this afternoon and I put it in when I got home. Took about 45 min between getting my tools out and organizing things, installation and clean up in the end. I also used some blue lock-tite on the bolts to ensure they dont come loose either.

This is a GREAT combination and I couldnt be any happier with this mod. Gets rid of the stock hurst rubbery feel and the shifts click right into place. I can tell this is going to help cut down my ET just from being able to shift quicker

If anyone is on the fence about this mod, DO IT! I personally dont see the point in spending the extra money on the pro 5.0 or Ripper.
Old 07-15-2004, 09:46 PM
12 Second Club

If someone would actually explain to me what the supposed benefits of the pro 5.0 or b&m are over a hurst, then I might be interested.
Old 07-15-2004, 10:03 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Ru2n00n3er
If someone would actually explain to me what the supposed benefits of the pro 5.0 or b&m are over a hurst, then I might be interested.
the pro 5.0 and b&m eliminate 2-3 mis-shift, no more rubbery feel, much more solid.

Havent had the chance to properly test the 2-3 shift, but from my first drive, my combo is damn near perfect. It has also cured the rubbery feel and shortened the throws tremendously.
Old 07-15-2004, 10:24 PM
12 Second Club

But how do they eliminate the 2-3 mishift? Even with my stock hurst shifter I find it difficult to miss that shift, if I'm somewhat gentle with it it will simply "slip" from 2 into 3. If I try and ram it forward however, shifting it super fast, then I can throw it into 1st. I've done this street driving once to test, I'm careful at the track.
So do the 5.0 and b&m allow you to completely "slam" it from 2-3? Is that where there benefit comes in? So in that way can you shift quicker, because you don't have to be as careful? Thanks.
Old 07-18-2004, 02:05 AM
Launching!

isn't it the 3-4 that you miss and do a 3-2 by accident?
Old 07-18-2004, 02:09 AM
Teching In

3-2 shift, we've all done it once. sad but true

Quick Reply: Just ordered Lou's short stick!