Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 growl and delayed pedal recall

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2020, 08:19 PM
Teching In

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default T56 growl and delayed pedal recall

Hey guys, I’ve been doing some reading on this all evening and I’ve not come to a conclusion to what my issue might be.

the trans in the GTO is noisy to begin with when driving but the noise that’s concerning me is when I’m coasting with the clutch disengaged (peddle pushed down) say in third gear for instance I get this faint growling noise. It almost seems like it’s more prevalent if I let up just a hair on the peddle. If I let up on the peddle it goes away.

No noise when clutch is engaged (peddle up) In neutral so I’m not suspecting a throw out bearing.

the other thing I noticed is when shifting swiftly I swear I have noticed a few times it’s like the peddle didnt come back up as fast as my foot?

slave cylinder? Pilot bearing?

06 GTO 78k miles
Old 02-11-2020, 03:00 PM
Teching In

Bump. Any thoughts fellas?
Old 02-11-2020, 03:59 PM
Teching In

Here's a video of the noise. It's very prominent in 3rd gear. I havent completely isolated it to 3rd only yet but that very well may be the case.

Old 02-11-2020, 09:16 PM
Launching!

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

If it only happens when the pedal is in, it would most likely have to be either the pilot bushing/bearing or the throwout bearing. Both of those should have non/minimal use when the pedal released and not make noise as a result. It may be extremely unlikely but a very small chance that something is fubar/worn w/ the clutch assy itself but I doubt it.

Some of the clutch masters/lines get plugged up/restricted over time on the f bodies resulting in a sticking esp when under high rpm shifts. Sometimes flushing the clutch master and the line down can help. Tick's master and line setup has a much larger orifice so it's less likely to plug - could be something similar in your gto.
Old 02-13-2020, 11:48 AM
Teching In

Thanks Josh, I think at this point ill just replace the pilot and throw out. I read somewhere people like to put a bushing in instead for the throw out. Ill plan to try an bleed the system as well.

Quick Reply: T56 growl and delayed pedal recall