Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

LS7 clutch pedal pressure and engagement throw issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2021, 08:15 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default LS7 clutch pedal pressure and engagement throw issues

LS7 clutch in a T56 behind an LS1 in a swapped car making ~420whp. The clutch line is a braided line from a 7/8" Wilwood MC to the factory SC. Maybe ~15k miles on the clutch/master/slave. The line is near the area of the long tube headers, but I don't think fluid heat is the issue here. I've flushed and bled the system with ATE TYP 200 fluid. No change in behavior.

The car drives normally, shifts normally, feels great. If I do a standalone third gear pull, the clutch pedal gets stiffer during the pull (I have a bad habit of resting my foot on the pedal, which is how I originally noticed this part of the problem. Trying to stop this,) but after the pull everything still feels normal.

When it really acts up is low gear/quick shift pulls. If I go, from a rolling start, WOT 1 > 2 > 3 > 4, or rolling 2 > 3 and maybe 4, the clutch pedal pressure goes away almost entirely. Instead of maybe a 1/2" of free pedal at the top, and then normal pressure the entire way to the floor, the pedal has basically no pressure until the last 1/2"-1" near the floor. The engagement also changes where normally, I'd get engagement maybe an inch off of the floor or so, but then when acting up the clutch engages what feels like immediately off of the floor. Something to note here I guess is that if I throw it in 5th or 6th and floor it, the clutch doesn't slip. The car is also not hard to drop into gear. It still shifts normally, but the clutch feel/pressure/engagement is all out of whack. This lasts maybe 3-4 minutes while I'm still driving around, and then it's back to normal.

Are these symptoms of pressure plate issues, or something else? This only started fairly recently, so it hasn't been a problem from the start.

Quick Reply: LS7 clutch pedal pressure and engagement throw issues