Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 billet 3/4 synchro keys broke

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2023, 02:48 PM
ModSquad

Received 3,730 Likes on 2,265 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by SavageHunter11
I ended up rebuilding my whole transmission myself to replace the broken key. I definitely understand the 12-hour labor quote.

The thing all say about rebuilding a T56. It's an 11/10 on the intimidation scale but a 4/10 on the Skill Required scale. Wasn't hard, just nerve racking. Get a big bench cleared off, take every piece off one at a time and set it on the bench in the order and orientation you took it off and you'll be fine. For the love of god, take as many pictures of the shift shafts keyways at the front of the transmission before you remove them and then once you feel you've taken enough pictures take more! The shift shaft assembly was the only part I struggled with because 3 pictures was not near enough.
Great info here. Bingo.
Old 12-14-2023, 09:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Supercharged111
I've heard of people removing only the front cover to replace the keys. It's not that bad of a job. I did get the Amp'd keys installed in the box but I hurt 3rd gear again. I suspect I cracked the syncro ring, but haven't taken it apart to see. I'll try to remember to chime back in with a status of health on the Amp'd keys for a comparison.
​​​​​​.
Please do so. If you have broken 1, you'd be the first that I have heard from. It is possible but rare to crack a 3rd gear synchronizer ring unless it's a Corvette, GTO or CTS-V designed ring.
Old 12-14-2023, 09:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 349 Likes on 236 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I ended up rebuilding my whole transmission myself to replace the broken key. I definitely understand the 12-hour labor quote.

The thing all say about rebuilding a T56. It's an 11/10 on the intimidation scale but a 4/10 on the Skill Required scale.

Quote worthy....Also, if you blindly stumble onto a M12 GTO T56 like
I did...be prepared for the "triple cone syncro" sticker shock...

Old 12-14-2023, 09:46 PM
TECH Resident

Received 147 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by AMP-D
Please do so. If you have broken 1, you'd be the first that I have heard from. It is possible but rare to crack a 3rd gear synchronizer ring unless it's a Corvette, GTO or CTS-V designed ring.
That's what Bruce said at thegearbox too, but yours aren't powdered metal garbage. I cracked a 3rd gear ring in my M29, so wouldn't be totally shocked if that's what it was either. It was 1 and done whatever let go. When the keys let go I had a hard time getting out of 4th gear and that wasn't the case here, I still ran the whole weekend just giving the shifts more time and using a VERY delicate touch. That's why I think the keys are just fine, and if there isn't so much as a scratch on them that'll be excellent apples to apples comparison data between them and the Tick/TGB keys.
Old 12-14-2023, 09:52 PM
Teching In

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I've heard of people removing only the front cover to replace the keys. It's not that bad of a job. I did get the Amp'd keys installed in the box but I hurt 3rd gear again. I suspect I cracked the syncro ring, but haven't taken it apart to see. I'll try to remember to chime back in with a status of health on the Amp'd keys for a comparison.
​​​​​​.
If this is possible, I could not figure it out after literal hours of trying. I honestly do not think it can be done.
Old 12-14-2023, 09:57 PM
TECH Resident

If this is possible, I could not figure it out after literal hours of trying. I honestly do not think it can be done.
I saw a guy on YouTube do it. In fact, when I'm building a T56, I assemble it until the tail housing is on, then remove the front plate to add sealant between it and the main housing. For some reason I have the worst time when adding the sealant on the first go I frequently knock stuff around on the shift linkage and have to take it back apart, redo the sealant, and try again. On one particular incident it took me 3-4 tries to finally get it right and this was not my first rodeo. Since then I've done the sealant last. Once the 5/6/R stuff is secured there is no screwing it up.
Old 12-14-2023, 10:05 PM
Teching In

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I saw a guy on YouTube do it. In fact, when I'm building a T56, I assemble it until the tail housing is on, then remove the front plate to add sealant between it and the main housing. For some reason I have the worst time when adding the sealant on the first go I frequently knock stuff around on the shift linkage and have to take it back apart, redo the sealant, and try again. On one particular incident it took me 3-4 tries to finally get it right and this was not my first rodeo. Since then I've done the sealant last. Once the 5/6/R stuff is secured there is no screwing it up.
I did that for the sealant as well. Can't tell you how many times I took the main case off trying to get those damn shift linkages correct. I'm surprised the synchro key can actually be done from the front. I was a certified technician that worked in the industry for 14 years until very recently and I tried everything I could to replace the key without a disassemble and never got it. I'd love to see the video of how it's actually done if you ever come across the video again. I'm sure it won't be the last time I replace synchro keys.
Old 12-14-2023, 10:20 PM
TECH Resident

I did that for the sealant as well. Can't tell you how many times I took the main case off trying to get those damn shift linkages correct. I'm surprised the synchro key can actually be done from the front. I was a certified technician that worked in the industry for 14 years until very recently and I tried everything I could to replace the key without a disassemble and never got it. I'd love to see the video of how it's actually done if you ever come across the video again. I'm sure it won't be the last time I replace synchro keys.
Wow, that was easier than I thought. I figured I'd have to dig to China. This dude is obviously not in the trade, but if the keys shot out when he was horsing around it stands to reason he should be able to get them back in and he did. It kills me to see him using those stock keys though.

Old 12-20-2023, 08:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

That's what Bruce said at thegearbox too, but yours aren't powdered metal garbage. I cracked a 3rd gear ring in my M29, so wouldn't be totally shocked if that's what it was either. It was 1 and done whatever let go. When the keys let go I had a hard time getting out of 4th gear and that wasn't the case here, I still ran the whole weekend just giving the shifts more time and using a VERY delicate touch. That's why I think the keys are just fine, and if there isn't so much as a scratch on them that'll be excellent apples to apples comparison data between them and the Tick/TGB keys.
Well how did they look? Sorry in advance if I missed this response in the thread.
Old 12-20-2023, 10:20 AM
TECH Resident

Well how did they look? Sorry in advance if I missed this response in the thread.
Haven't cracked into it yet. Right now we're ***** deep in the house, redoing floors and repainting the interior. But my off season isn't getting any longer.
Old 12-20-2023, 01:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Haven't cracked into it yet. Right now we're ***** deep in the house, redoing floors and repainting the interior. But my off season isn't getting any longer.
Got it. Well keep up posted when you determine the issue.
Old 03-22-2024, 07:41 PM
TECH Resident

I finally cracked into this thing. The pilot bushing is absolutely gone after only 1 season, but that doesn't fit my description of one and done. 3rd gear ring isn't cracked, trans looks just fine. Only thing I see wrong is the pilot bushing, guess I'll go back to a pilot bearing. That at least goes a couple years before exploding. As for the keys?

A damn sight better than those powdered metal ones. They are marked up, but I can't catch a fingernail on it so they ought to last a while.

Edited to come back in and footstomp how terrible the powdered dogshit keys are.

The ones I got from G Force were solid chromoly too and lacked the relief cuts of the AMP'd units. Not only that, they were aware of the crap keys that were out there so don't be afraid to have them sell you keys or build you a trans either. I wonder, the keys that Texas Drivetrain Performance sells sure look just like the AMP'd keys. Are they the same?

Last edited by Supercharged111; 03-22-2024 at 10:02 PM.
Old 03-23-2024, 06:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the update on our keys. Good to see they are still hanging in there.
Old 06-28-2024, 07:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You most likely have the cheaply made so called "billet keys" made from powdered metal. In short, they are junk.
No , you are wrong. The premium engineered struts are powdered metal. The cheap copy crap are not properly treated and are crap. Therse sound like **** copies.
3 wins at Le mans is the proof they work.

Quick Reply: T56 billet 3/4 synchro keys broke