Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Third(and Last) McLeod RXT vs. T56 Magnum input shaft

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2022, 11:32 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 1,220 Likes on 660 Posts

Originally Posted by fusion_ta66
Hi Summitracing, can you answer this question?
We apologize for leaving you without an answer. We're checking into this and will report back. It may be the beginning of next week before we have an update.

800-230-3030
www.SummitRacing.com
Old 06-15-2022, 11:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

I updated the OP with this link to show the obvious issue.

another thing I found out that should probably have some questions brought to light:

i noticed that there are many sellers on ebay that sell McLeod clutches. Something I found interesting is that although 95% of those sellers are located within 15 minutes from McLeod, they all seem to have the same answers to the questions being asked about any of the issues that are brought up(almost as if they work at McLeod Racing and not just sell their products on the side). Aside from that, None of them offer any sort of warranty or guarantee on any of the McLeod clutches. I even had one respond asking me why I was asking?!?

seems to me like McLeod is pawning off a bunch of their products that they know are poor quality and shielding themselves and their reputation behind a supposed third party, who won’t bother backing the product for the reason of “nature of performance”. Or maybe their sales team all has individual ebay accounts for commission. Maybe I’m wrong, but it sure doesn’t look good on the surface.
Old 06-15-2022, 12:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by SAPPER;[url=tel:20436189
20436189[/url]]couple years back I posted up about McLeod too. Bad clutch (RXT). Sent it in 3 times, Had to R&R the trans 7 times in 8 weeks trying to figure out the problem. Finally got it to a point where it would work. Turns out it also bent my input shaft. The trans was fresh from Tick. After installing a Monster triple disc and having shifting issues, I sent the trans back to Tick and they found the input was bent.
Also, McLeod customer service fought with me the entire time.
I even posted on here about the initial issue and service and got blasted a few times on how great they were. Yea, well this just reinforces my dealings as well.
Even my Monster triple had an initial problem with the pressure plate. They asked 3 questions, sent me a label. 5 days later had it back in the car, broke it in for a few miles and hooked so hard, broke the Trutrac carrier in the Moser 12 bolt.
No Nitrous on this. All N/A.

looks like I’ll be going with Monster(or any other brand for that matter). The customer service I received from McLeod was SO poor that I couldn’t even fit everything I had to say in the original post.

the part I left out was the fact that after the first clutch that chattered, the rep wt mcleod suggested i go with a RST clutch instead. I asked him if it would be sufficient enough to hold at my power level and weight. He tells me I will be fine. Mind you, I have ALL of this in writing…

3 months go by and the RST is completely done. Zero track passes and was broken in properly. The difference was that this one didn’t chatter. It just couldn’t hold the power.

so I reach out to the same rep who recommended the RST. And he tells me “i shouldn’t be running the RST. I should have gone with the RXT instead”. Then proceeds to quote me on a price for the RXT. You can’t make this stuff up! Its all in writing Too!

The only thing worse than the quality of these clutches is their quality of customer service. Absolutely trash! which is where their products end up, if you buy them.
Old 06-15-2022, 12:59 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 1,220 Likes on 660 Posts

Folks we can't comment on the RXT, but this goes back to our statement about spline quality and heat treat being two key pieces of the puzzle. Some had asked how much spline thickness we have. The splined section of the forward disk is 18.4mm (.750 in.) thick. The rear is 12.3mm (.485 in.) thick. for a total of 1.235 in.. Note this does not include the intermediate plate which is pretty beefy on ours to minimize warpage. Also, the weight of the rear and front disks should be slightly different to guard against harmonics. We've had some customers starting to get up in the miles now without reported issues.

800-230-3030
www.SummitRacing.com
Old 06-15-2022, 03:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 254 Likes on 176 Posts

This dates back to my ordeal 4 or 5 years ago when I said I will NEVER run a McLeod again. It cost me an input shaft as well.
Old 06-16-2022, 10:12 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts

damn i did my rxt about 5 or 6 yrs ago with a brand new t56 magnum . I hope i dont have this mess when i need a new clutch .
Old 06-17-2022, 04:51 PM
Launching!

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks for this. Really appreciate it. Can anyone compare this to the RXT or better yet compare the input shaft fitment like in the video?

Originally Posted by Summitracing
Folks we can't comment on the RXT, but this goes back to our statement about spline quality and heat treat being two key pieces of the puzzle. Some had asked how much spline thickness we have. The splined section of the forward disk is 18.4mm (.750 in.) thick. The rear is 12.3mm (.485 in.) thick. for a total of 1.235 in.. Note this does not include the intermediate plate which is pretty beefy on ours to minimize warpage. Also, the weight of the rear and front disks should be slightly different to guard against harmonics. We've had some customers starting to get up in the miles now without reported issues.
Old 06-17-2022, 05:08 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,747 Likes on 1,304 Posts

Originally Posted by fusion_ta66
Thanks for this. Really appreciate it. Can anyone compare this to the RXT or better yet compare the input shaft fitment like in the video?
When you say compare "this", do you mean the Summit Twin disc? I've been running it for awhile and it was NOT loose like that RXT vid, that's just awful. I've been very happy with my kit and its definitely a well put together piece for sure.
Old 06-18-2022, 08:36 AM
Launching!

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Perfect, thanks

Originally Posted by ddnspider
When you say compare "this", do you mean the Summit Twin disc? I've been running it for awhile and it was NOT loose like that RXT vid, that's just awful. I've been very happy with my kit and its definitely a well put together piece for sure.
Old 06-18-2022, 09:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 177 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by chris99gmc
I updated the OP with this link to show the obvious issue.

https://youtu.be/rtnOBdVLyNg

another thing I found out that should probably have some questions brought to light:

i noticed that there are many sellers on ebay that sell McLeod clutches. Something I found interesting is that although 95% of those sellers are located within 15 minutes from McLeod, they all seem to have the same answers to the questions being asked about any of the issues that are brought up(almost as if they work at McLeod Racing and not just sell their products on the side). Aside from that, None of them offer any sort of warranty or guarantee on any of the McLeod clutches. I even had one respond asking me why I was asking?!?

seems to me like McLeod is pawning off a bunch of their products that they know are poor quality and shielding themselves and their reputation behind a supposed third party, who won’t bother backing the product for the reason of “nature of performance”. Or maybe their sales team all has individual ebay accounts for commission. Maybe I’m wrong, but it sure doesn’t look good on the surface.
Again .. **** McLeod. They absolutely do NOT stand behind their work. They may stand behind a brand new clutch, but then you will realize that that pain in your *** is a McLeod *****.
The following users liked this post:
SAPPER (06-19-2022)
Old 06-19-2022, 09:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here's on of my posts regarding my ordeal

https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...rking-now.html
Old 06-20-2022, 10:52 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,386 Posts

Monster Clutches grab and go...

SAPPER (06-20-2022)
Old 06-20-2022, 01:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 01CamaroSSTx
Monster Clutches grab and go...

Exactly. That's all I'll install in my own cars and other guys cars. 2 of mine have a twin disc and my sons has a triple disc. Couldn't be happier.

Old 07-12-2022, 08:29 PM
Launching!

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

This is making me nervous...I just bought a McLeod RST for my LS3 swapped Z. Not sure if I wanna use it now. Car is being set up for drag but street as well. Will be putting down roughly 480-500 at the crank so, what do you all think? I read great reviews about McLeod so this is disheartening.
Old 07-12-2022, 08:32 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,747 Likes on 1,304 Posts

Long as you don't plan on a bunch of launches on a good tire it'll be fine. Your light weigh helps too.
Sunset01Z (07-12-2022)
Old 07-12-2022, 11:15 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Sunset01Z
This is making me nervous...I just bought a McLeod RST for my LS3 swapped Z. Not sure if I wanna use it now. Car is being set up for drag but street as well. Will be putting down roughly 480-500 at the crank so, what do you all think? I read great reviews about McLeod so this is disheartening.
I am sure the clutch will work great, since it is new. When you send it for a rebuild, you will suddenly have sharp pains in your lower colon.
Old 07-13-2022, 05:33 AM
Launching!

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by FCar2000TA
I am sure the clutch will work great, since it is new. When you send it for a rebuild, you will suddenly have sharp pains in your lower colon.
Lmao. If I ever need a new clutch later on then I'll look into monster. I almost got their twin disk as compared to the McLeod. Surprisingly my stock clutch held up to 50k miles of abuse, but only to bolt on LS1 not a cammed LS3.

Although I will be beating the living hell out of these clutches, I do mainly drag racing but not with slicks so we will see what happens. It should hold up.

Last edited by Sunset01Z; 07-13-2022 at 05:40 AM.
Old 07-13-2022, 07:22 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Sunset01Z
Lmao. If I ever need a new clutch later on then I'll look into monster. I almost got their twin disk as compared to the McLeod. Surprisingly my stock clutch held up to 50k miles of abuse, but only to bolt on LS1 not a cammed LS3.

Although I will be beating the living hell out of these clutches, I do mainly drag racing but not with slicks so we will see what happens. It should hold up.
It will hold up. I was happy with the Street Twin clutch that I had, until the rebuild, but the ability to have it rebuilt is the only reason to buy McLeod. Unfortunately, they lost all of my business, and respect with the epic failure of their rebuilding process
Sunset01Z (07-13-2022)
Old 07-13-2022, 07:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 211 Likes on 163 Posts

It's unfortunate the amount of time and labor you put in to use these setups only to result in short term issues. I just had an RXT 1200 balanced with a billet flywheel (going into a Procharged C6). Will report back with any issues. This is a brand new clutch (2022 build date).

I have been running an RXT in my stroked LS3 Camaro for 3 years. Bought the one in my Fbody used, rebuilt once already with no issues. I beat on the car every time I get behind the wheel and have lifted the front end off of the ground a few times at the track (565whp/570wtq) lol.

Old 07-14-2022, 10:25 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,386 Posts

I almost bought an RXT but I'm happy with my decision to go with Monster Clutches. I'll be going to a triple disk on my next one if and when this twin disk finally craps out..

Quick Reply: Third(and Last) McLeod RXT vs. T56 Magnum input shaft