Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

I'm considering piecing together a Ram clutch system and have a couple of questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2004, 09:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default I'm considering piecing together a Ram clutch system and have a couple of questions

I just pulled the trans out of the car to replace the slave cylinder. I'm considering replacing the clutch, but am still unsure. I still need to pull the pressure plate and look at the clutch. The clutch is original and has 27,000 miles on it. I looked on line and can get a flywheel (Ram-1550), clutch (Ram-980), and pressure plate (Ram-402) for around $600. Here are my questions:

1) is an adjustable MC required with this setup?
2) does the flywheel, clutch, and pressure plate need to be balanced before they are installed? Or can I just buy them and put them in?
3) how does this system differ from Ram's Powergrip HD level 4 system (Ram-98931HD) with a Ram flywheel (Ram-1550)?

Feel free to add any additional comments or suggestions. I'm new at this clutch thing

Btw, my long term goal is to have the car runnig high 11's. Within the next year I would like to install a cam (224 to 230 duration) and possibly heads. There is a good chance this will occur in the next year, but it's not definate. Probablly a year or two after that I would like to install a 12-bolt (probably 4.10's). If the original clutch looks o.k., I'm considering waiting and doing a clutch when I do the 12-bolt. Is this a dumb idea?

Thanks,

Jim
Old 07-26-2004, 07:43 AM
FormerVendor

Jim,
You can use the parts you listed, but an adjustable master is required. If you use set 98931, it will have the proper lever height settings for LS1 and you would not have to use the adjustable master.

All parts are balanced so all you need to do is put them in.

98931HD uses the straight 900 series disc, a little less driveable than the 980 disc.
Old 07-26-2004, 10:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks!