Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Upgrading to aftermkt clutch for 1st time - What other parts do I need?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2004, 05:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrading to aftermkt clutch for 1st time - What other parts do I need?

I'm upgrading to an aftermarket clutch on my 99Z (all bolt ons currently, but preparing for more). I don't know much about all of the clutch components.

1. I'm probably going w/ the spec stg III. Besides the clutch and flywheel, do I need to replace the slave/master cylinders? - i saw a recommendation for the 2001-2002 GM cylinders - is that right?

2. Is there anything else I need to replace?

3. Anybody recommend any good shops for installation in the Northern NJ area?

Thanks for the help.
Old 07-25-2004, 06:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm no expert on clutchs, but I know you should replace the slave cylinder with a '01-'02 slave and do the drill mod. GM put a restriction in the line that runs between the master cylinder and slave cylinder. This restriction was in '00 and older cars. I can't tell you how removing the restriction will benefit you, but I know everyone does it and I haven't heard anything negative about it. Do a search for "drill mod."

Hope that helps,

Jim
Old 07-25-2004, 06:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

DO NOT go with the stage 3. go with the stage 4. its just as streetable (if not more so) and doesn't have springs to pop like the stage 3 always does.

get a 01-02 Slave Cylinder and look in the for sale section for a McCloed adjustable master cylinder
Old 07-26-2004, 12:58 PM
Teching In

Thanks guys. That was helpful.
Old 07-26-2004, 01:35 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by NeedMoreSpeed
Thanks guys. That was helpful.

I have a Spec stg 3 with the 2001 slave and am very happy with how it works. I also have an aluminum flywheel which I really like (spins up fast) but I don't drag race so keep that in mind if you do.

With that said, I would NOT use the stock master with it (even though people get away with it). The stock master does not let you take up the freeplay in the system so when the lines get hot (headers) you will not fully dissengauge the clutch and its hard to shift (I have smoked the clutch a few times). I now have the McLeod master and the entire setup is really good. Next clutch swap I will probubly go with the stg 4 (more HP in the works).

Other than the cluth and flywheel, you need/should do the slave (which will come with a throwout bearing), the drill mod on the clutch line (if not done already), and the pilot bearing. I have never heard of anyone "needing" to do the pilot bearing (it going bad) but with it being $10 it's a "why not" thing.
Old 07-27-2004, 12:44 PM
11 Second Club

My new Stage 3 has only 200 miles, and the chatter is almost non existent and it feels smoother by the mile.

I haven't dumped or high rpm slipped it yet so we'll see after I get ~200 more miles on it.

So far, I am very happy with it's bite.