Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

One more clutch bleeding thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2023, 08:10 PM
Launching!

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Default One more clutch bleeding thread

Hey guys,
Just want to make sure i'm not chasing my tail.

02 Trans Am. Kid hydrolocked the motor (have snapped rod pics for anyone intersted) and I got it cheap. Replaced with an LQ9, put in LS7 Luk clutch, and at this point have a new clutch slave and master. Everything is stock OEM replacements.
I've already dropped the trans once with the first bad slave (started bleeding and fluid was coming out of the bellhousing) and replaced the master when I blew a seal.

I've been trying to bleed the clutch for a few weeks now. I have a mityvac and can pull fluid through without a problem.
Clutch now feels good except for 1 thing.... I can shift gears (car off) without pressing the clutch as easily as with pushing the clutch in.
It feels like the slave is pushing the pressure plate fingers regardless of what i do with the clutch pedal.

Is there a way to check slave disengagement without dropping the trans?
Or is it normal for shifting to feel the same without depressing the clutch (I can't imagine that answer is yes).

Looking for any and all answers. I'm not re-hooking up the driveshaft and torque arm and refilling the trans fluid until I know I dont need to drop it again.

thanks
Jim

Old 09-28-2023, 08:47 PM
Launching!

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

ok, so i may have answered my own question.
Trans in neutral, i can spin the driveshaft (not hooked up but just attached to trans output.
Trans in gear, i cannot spin it
Trans in gear with clutch pedal depressed, i can spin the driveshaft.

So this is telling me the slave is engaging and disengaging the clutch properly, right?

I am sure I need some more final bleeding to get all the bubbles out, but am I good to hook everything back up (driveshaft, torque arm, center console and its tentacles)?

Old 09-29-2023, 11:51 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 323 Likes on 296 Posts

Originally Posted by borrone821
Or is it normal for shifting to feel the same without depressing the clutch (I can't imagine that answer is yes).
Yea, that can happen, particularly if you don't have the driveshaft hooked up. With no load on the back of the transmission, the hoke is going to spin freely. (Think of your transmission being constrained at the front and the back. The clutch opens and closes the front connection and the back is always connected to a load. With the driveshaft off, its like having an open clutch at the back of the transmission.)

We also commonly get paranoid when we drop the transmission and do the bleed. For example, we can overbreed and pull air through the M/C seals and it looks like a never-ending bleed.

If you measured properly to confirm shim or not to shim, you should be all set! https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...need-shim.html

Quick Reply: One more clutch bleeding thread