Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

02 z28 clutch issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2024, 07:24 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 z28 clutch issue

Just picked up a 02 z28 6 speed car with 127k miles. Car sat for roughly 10 years give or take before I purchased it. PO claimed shortly before it was parked it had a center force dual friction clutch and a lightweight flywheel installed. anyways got it running and took it for its first run and threw every gear clutch would slip pretty bad anything over maybe 2000rpm and car would surge when not slipping. it progressed into getting stuck in gear as in the clutch wouldn't disengage. with the car running but sitting still it won't go into gear. everything I'm reading leads to master cylinder needs replaced but wanted to check here first? the reservoir is full. thanks
Old 02-26-2024, 07:19 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 349 Likes on 319 Posts

Or maybe the clutch is just bad and it got so hot it is now partially melted and sticking to the flywheel?
Old 02-26-2024, 06:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess anything is possible but i wouldnt think so i only took it about 3 doors down the road and turned around, so maybe only a couple football fields distance
Old 02-28-2024, 10:20 AM
TECH Regular

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

To me it sounds like either a fluid issue or a slave engagement issue. Have you changed the fluid and re-bled it, as they use brake fluid it can absorb a lot of water if sitting for years and if the heat shield is missing or you lines too close to the exhaust manifold it could be getting too hot the longer the car runs. Check the color and consistency, if the fluid ever boiled it would have chunks in it. As this is the easiest to do I would start here. If not when the new clutch/flywheel was installed the installer might not have measured the slave engagement space correctly and add the required spacers to get the OEM spec engagement. Unfortunately this would require dropping the trans and taking the measurements. The upside to this would be you could install a speed bleeder which will be helpful if you decide to change the master down the line.

Quick Reply: 02 z28 clutch issue