Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

1998 LS1 SS SLP shifter feel

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2024, 02:15 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 LS1 SS SLP shifter feel

First post on the forum. Currently own 2 F bodies. 1996 z28 Lt1 6 speed 180xxx miles. 1998 z28 ls1 6 speed 140xxx miles. The ls1 car is a more recent purchase. 1 owner car, lightly modded.

The issue is that the ls1 car has a SS SLP short throw shifter. Shift feel is notchy, and very slow compared to my lt1 car with the factory worn out shifter. Takes a lot of effort with the upgraded shifter to power shift and row through the gears. Any input? I’m trying to find a factory shifter to replicate the feel of my LT1 car on my LS1, but no luck. I’m used to normal throw length.
Old 05-06-2024, 11:57 AM
12 Second Club

Received 572 Likes on 454 Posts

I have a Hurst Billet Plus in my Formula, and I chopped the short throw stick by an inch and a half - I basically have to flick my wrist to shift gears. With that said, my shifting was somewhat notchy when I first bought the car with 130K miles 18 years ago, and the trans failed (sheared teeth off the input shaft )around 150K. Had a stage 4 T-56 built, and it shifts like butter now. It may not be the shifter that's causing you issues, basically.
Old 05-06-2024, 12:10 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 349 Likes on 319 Posts

There's no store I'm aware of that you can walk in and try out T56 F-body shifters for feel, but given your description I think you would really like the Hurst Billet Plus shifter: https://www.holley.com/products/driv.../parts/3915061

There are no "long throw" shifters available and I've only seen aftermarket units advertised as "short throw." The stock shifter was horrible. It had a long travel but also a rubber bushing in the middle of the stick that made it feel like a wet noodle. (or maybe a '78 Datusn) Even with a "short throw" shifter you can adjust things to your liking with a longer stick. Many people added a "short stick" to the "short throw" shifter, which made things even shorter and notchier. (My guess is that you probably have this configuration.)

The Hurst was not as popular as the MGW shifter over the years. (The MGW seemed to be the consensus choice.) However, I think you will like the Hurst because:
- There are many different handles available, where you can adjust the final throw to your liking.
- The unit comes with adjustable spring sets that allow you to adjust the softness/hardness of the shift to your liking. (See the instructions.)
- The unit is serviceable and you can clean it out and rebuilt it with new spring kits. (All shifters will get soft with age, and putting in new springs brings this shifter back to life.) https://www.holley.com/products/driv.../parts/2305000

I had the Hurst Billet Plus on my car and ran both springs and a short stick on it for very quick, hard shifts. I tried out longer sticks and the softer springs and expect those combinations are probably what would suit you.

BTW - Not all Hurst shifters are the same! There was a factory Hurst option, which is a different shifter. If you purchase used, you will need to be diligent on the research for what you are buying.
The following 2 users liked this post by wssix99:
Bongo123! (05-06-2024), LS1Formulation (05-06-2024)
Old 05-06-2024, 09:50 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LS1Formulation
I have a Hurst Billet Plus in my Formula, and I chopped the short throw stick by an inch and a half - I basically have to flick my wrist to shift gears. With that said, my shifting was somewhat notchy when I first bought the car with 130K miles 18 years ago, and the trans failed (sheared teeth off the input shaft )around 150K. Had a stage 4 T-56 built, and it shifts like butter now. It may not be the shifter that's causing you issues, basically.
Thanks for the reply. Man I hope it’s not the T-56 going bad. I’ll play around with swapping some things out, like shifter and transmission fluid.
Old 05-06-2024, 09:53 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by wssix99
There's no store I'm aware of that you can walk in and try out T56 F-body shifters for feel, but given your description I think you would really like the Hurst Billet Plus shifter: https://www.holley.com/products/driv.../parts/3915061

There are no "long throw" shifters available and I've only seen aftermarket units advertised as "short throw." The stock shifter was horrible. It had a long travel but also a rubber bushing in the middle of the stick that made it feel like a wet noodle. (or maybe a '78 Datusn) Even with a "short throw" shifter you can adjust things to your liking with a longer stick. Many people added a "short stick" to the "short throw" shifter, which made things even shorter and notchier. (My guess is that you probably have this configuration.)

The Hurst was not as popular as the MGW shifter over the years. (The MGW seemed to be the consensus choice.) However, I think you will like the Hurst because:
- There are many different handles available, where you can adjust the final throw to your liking.
- The unit comes with adjustable spring sets that allow you to adjust the softness/hardness of the shift to your liking. (See the instructions.)
- The unit is serviceable and you can clean it out and rebuilt it with new spring kits. (All shifters will get soft with age, and putting in new springs brings this shifter back to life.) https://www.holley.com/products/driv.../parts/2305000

I had the Hurst Billet Plus on my car and ran both springs and a short stick on it for very quick, hard shifts. I tried out longer sticks and the softer springs and expect those combinations are probably what would suit you.

BTW - Not all Hurst shifters are the same! There was a factory Hurst option, which is a different shifter. If you purchase used, you will need to be diligent on the research for what you are buying.
Thanks for the reply. I think that’s what I’ll do. Swap out shifters with the Hurst one you mentioned. Hopefully that solves the issues and I can fine tune it from there!
Old 05-07-2024, 05:06 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by Bongo123!
Thanks for the reply. Man I hope it’s not the T-56 going bad. I’ll play around with swapping some things out, like shifter and transmission fluid.
There's a "notchy" feel due to being able to feel the gates of the shifter. A shorter and harder stick accentuates this.

If the transmission is hard to physically push/put into gear or there is grinding, then that is either a transmission or clutch issue. If double clutching the shift solves the problem, that would also be another strong indicator of a transmission issue: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double...ing_(technique)
Old 05-13-2024, 06:50 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by wssix99

Hey thanks again for the feedback. Replaced the shifter with the exact hurst unit you suggested. That was the ticket in terms of improvement!
Old 05-14-2024, 07:39 AM
Save the manuals!

I'm glad to hear it. Did you stay with the stick that came with the unit? What did you decide on springs? (Did you go with soft or firm?)

Quick Reply: 1998 LS1 SS SLP shifter feel