Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

M6 to A4 and A4 to M6 Conversion info requested

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 11:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IM fixing to do the swap here in the next couple of weeks, and i was wondering if the car will run right and not act stupid like rpm wise when stopped. without flashing the M6 tune in it. I know the MPH want be right.
Old 04-18-2008, 09:09 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well guys my A4 to M6 swap is about to go underway along with my 347 going in also ..

The cool thing is, that my friend who is going all out on his car cut his harness out of his car. He then gave me all the pigtails that is for the transmission and everything. So it should make things alot easier I think .. Ill try and get a pic of the pigtails i've got and maybe some of you guys may know what they are.

The only thing i'm not to for sure about is the reverse lockout. I dont want to have to hit a switch to put it in reverse. I would like it to work just like factory, is this possible?
Old 04-18-2008, 10:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bjamick
Well guys my A4 to M6 swap is about to go underway along with my 347 going in also ..

The cool thing is, that my friend who is going all out on his car cut his harness out of his car. He then gave me all the pigtails that is for the transmission and everything. So it should make things alot easier I think .. Ill try and get a pic of the pigtails i've got and maybe some of you guys may know what they are.

The only thing i'm not to for sure about is the reverse lockout. I dont want to have to hit a switch to put it in reverse. I would like it to work just like factory, is this possible?
yes mines works like factory, its easiest if you just use a m6 harness, but if you got all the pigtails it should work also someone posted a word doc i think page 3 that gives you ALL the info you need mine works 100% right now
Old 04-18-2008, 04:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by eddielb
yes mines works like factory, its easiest if you just use a m6 harness, but if you got all the pigtails it should work also someone posted a word doc i think page 3 that gives you ALL the info you need mine works 100% right now
Ya I know the harness would make it easier lol but I dont want to shell out anymore money to buy one ..

So just wire the reverse Pigtail I got into the brake switch? Does it not need a power source?
Old 05-08-2008, 06:40 AM
Staging Lane

woud you know if a 98 m6 camaro trane cros brase wood fit a 95 firebird 6 sped .i just bighrt a global wast track link and the gye that had it had it on a 98 and it bolted to the trans cros brase but it wont to min the 98 m6 brase has a wider cros brase and he put it to one of the hols in it min is much sciner and it is short by 1 to 2 inches to rech the compne sed it shoud fit from 02 to 93 . i think the gy got a auto one and got lucky and it fit becos his brase was a little longer ane info woud help i did a post but no one can give ane advise hers a link

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showth...64#post9313264
Old 05-15-2008, 11:02 AM
12 Second Club

I just finished the swap yesterday, now my speedo isnt reading right. I got the vss from a m6 harness, so I dont know why its off. Also how can I get reverse lock out to work with out having a button on the ball? Thanks
Old 05-15-2008, 11:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mr. Trick
I just finished the swap yesterday, now my speedo isnt reading right. I got the vss from a m6 harness, so I dont know why its off. Also how can I get reverse lock out to work with out having a button on the ball? Thanks
I didnt think you needed a button on the ball? I thought you had to be under 3 mph of speed in order to get into reverse? My reverse lockout just worked... as far as the vss I wonder if the gearing has anything to do w/ your speedo being off since m6 came w/ 3.4x and yours prob has either 2.73 or 3.23 ? not sure bud !

I had my car tuned w/ hp tuners w/ a complete computer program off a stock m6 car with the exception of my 4.10 gears ...
Old 06-01-2008, 11:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

u need to get ur pcm tuned for an m6, i had the same issure, u need to get it tuned, the speedo on autos and m6s have different voltage reading i believe
Old 06-01-2008, 06:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by themack56
u need to get ur pcm tuned for an m6, i had the same issure, u need to get it tuned, the speedo on autos and m6s have different voltage reading i believe
yep thats it
Old 06-03-2008, 01:05 AM

I have a 1993 Z28 with a 700R4 and i wanna to a 6-speed would it be easier for me to do since my trany isnt computer controlled????Any help or websites would be great....
Old 06-09-2008, 08:30 PM
Launching!

What are the chances of getting a transmission shop to do this for me?
Old 06-10-2008, 09:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by EdwardL
What are the chances of getting a transmission shop to do this for me?
if you take them a wire harness and transmission I dont see it being a problem, I could honestly get it done in 1 day if I did it again now that i've done it
Old 06-18-2008, 04:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

anyone wanna volunteer to help out on a swap? free beer! Ashland, ky - come get ur hands dirty!
Old 06-21-2008, 07:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

u got it all wrong, in order for ur speedo to work, u gotta flash to m6 tune, i psted this up on the thread couple weeks ago, when i did mine i did all the research i knew it wast going to work until u get that tune, i beat it feels rough as well, thats cause ur pcm is running the a4 tune, get the right tune and the car will feel smoother and ur speedo will be fixed just like that
Old 07-08-2008, 03:00 PM
12 Second Club

ok guys im about to start a swap. I bout one complete minus a shifter. I think im goin to go pro 5.0. Would you guys replace the master and slave? im not sure what year the master is so i think im going to replace that but dont know on the slave. i dont think im going to do the pilot bearing because the engine was built spring 07..where do you guys get the lower shift boot from? thanks guys anything else you think i should look at lmk i browsed most of this thread but its alot to take in.
Old 07-14-2008, 02:57 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ive got all mine done minus the wiring. Where can I get the plug that goes to the clutch safety switch? And the other plugs for the reverse lockout, vss etc.

Thanks!
Old 07-15-2008, 01:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Z'mnypit
Ive got all mine done minus the wiring. Where can I get the plug that goes to the clutch safety switch? And the other plugs for the reverse lockout, vss etc.

Thanks!
Damn man I would have liked to help you out on that one so that I would've known what I am getting myself into. Was it difficult? Anymore than taking out the 60e? Also where did you get your 6 speed tune from?

Oh and as for the plugs, I believe somebody in here has said what the part #'s were for the pigtails you need, and that you can get them off ebay. If I remember correctly. .
Old 07-27-2008, 02:24 PM
11 Second Club

Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by themack56
The cause actually is the Transmission Out Put Shafts.. the A4 has a 40-Pulse rate, the M6 has a 17-Pulse rate on that Shaft. It's how many teeth are on it where the Sensor reads.

As far as the Wiring goes, I build Harnesses, kinda my thing..

I just re-built my Automatic Harness into a M6 Harness with the required Connectors. I only put in the T56 Reverse Lights and the Reverse Lockout Wiring..I'm not really interested in the Skip Shift and left that junk out.

The Reverse Lights were easy..power on one wire of the Connector, and the other wire through the Harness to the Interior, and to the Reverse Lights Wire on the Automatic Shifter.
For the Reverse Lockout I put power to the power wire, and the other wire I ran to PCM Pin #44 Red Connector, Reverse Lockout Solenoid Signal.
I used the Pink wire that gave the Auto Tranny power to power these same two Circuits.
Old 07-27-2008, 06:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

hi i need help here.

i converdet my transmition from a4 to m6 but im still using my a4 harness.

is there a way to make the Reverse Inhibit Control Circuit Malfunction (P0801) work on a a4 harness any conectors or anything i can connect to the a4 harness to make it play ?
Old 07-27-2008, 08:46 PM
11 Second Club

Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Engine_HP
hi i need help here.

i converdet my transmition from a4 to m6 but im still using my a4 harness.

is there a way to make the Reverse Inhibit Control Circuit Malfunction (P0801) work on a a4 harness any conectors or anything i can connect to the a4 harness to make it play ?
I believe that is a Code that the Auto would throw if it doesn't go into Reverse..you wouldn't need that with a T56..you can tell when it's in Reverse..

Quick Reply: M6 to A4 and A4 to M6 Conversion info requested