Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

M6 to A4 and A4 to M6 Conversion info requested

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 01:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by the_merv
The cause actually is the Transmission Out Put Shafts.. the A4 has a 40-Pulse rate, the M6 has a 17-Pulse rate on that Shaft. It's how many teeth are on it where the Sensor reads.
I was just thinking about this myself. I can't think of any reason why I would need to reflash the entire pcm with a 6 spd's bin. Why wouldn't adjusting the pulses per mile and revolution and then adjusting revolution per mile work?? Of course I'd have to disable all of the auto codes too though.
Old 07-31-2008, 08:58 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I need the part # for the clutch saftey switch plug that goes on the switch on the pedal. Ive got the #'s for the rest of the pig tails just not that one.
Old 08-03-2008, 09:31 PM
11 Second Club

Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by itchygomey98
I was just thinking about this myself. I can't think of any reason why I would need to reflash the entire pcm with a 6 spd's bin. Why wouldn't adjusting the pulses per mile and revolution and then adjusting revolution per mile work?? Of course I'd have to disable all of the auto codes too though.
If you don't flash it for M6, it will hold the RPM's when you shift instead of letting them drop. That gets to be a PIA on the street. Also, it you wired in the Reverse Lockout correctly, the PCM will function it as it should.

I do believe that when you do flash it, it automatically sets the Speedo Pulse Rate for the M6 since there is only one setting..
Old 08-03-2008, 11:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As far as the RPM's dropping, that's easily adjusted in the decay tables. All I'm saying is that there's no difference between the operating system from an M6 and and auto....only adjustments in some tables. Unless I'm totally missing something.
Old 08-03-2008, 11:10 PM
11 Second Club

All you basicaly have to do for the T56 is enable the Reverse Lockout(if you wired it in the Harness) and disable the Skip Shift..
Old 08-04-2008, 08:26 AM
10 Second Club

Well since I cant seem to find the part # for the clutch saftey switch harness does anybody have a pic of the clutch saftey switch after the wiring was complete? I know theres only two wires that go to the switch but the switch its self has 4 pins and Im not sure which of the four the two wires would go to. Im just going to not worry about the harness and wire these two wires into the switch in a fabed up way.
Old 08-04-2008, 09:00 AM
11 Second Club

The Switch I have on my Clutch Petal has only 2 Pins..it's a black Switch..sits where the Petal hits it on the way down..

I found a Connector under the Carpet where the Drivers Seat would be..it has an orange and a black Wire going to it, looks like it was never used for anything. It looks like it will go into that Switch that I have on my Petals..
Old 08-04-2008, 10:10 AM
10 Second Club

The Switch I have on my Clutch Petal has only 2 Pins..it's a black Switch..sits where the Petal hits it on the way down..

I found a Connector under the Carpet where the Drivers Seat would be..it has an orange and a black Wire going to it, looks like it was never used for anything. It looks like it will go into that Switch that I have on my Petals..
Well that makes since then. I was looking at the white switch at the top of the clucth peadal. Easy enough, only two ways it can go.

Ill look for that plug this afternoon and see if it works. THANKS!
Old 08-04-2008, 11:40 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Z'mnypit
Well that makes since then. I was looking at the white switch at the top of the clucth peadal. Easy enough, only two ways it can go.
That is the one that dis-engages the Cruise Control when you push the Clutch in.
Old 08-04-2008, 12:30 PM
10 Second Club

That is the one that dis-engages the Cruise Control when you push the Clutch in.
Gotcha, well Im not worried about cruise because you cant use it anyways around here. People drive from 50-90mph so youre constantly hitting the brakes.
Old 08-05-2008, 08:37 AM
10 Second Club

Alright, well mines completely finished. I knocked out the rest of the wiring yesterday. I have one concern though, I hooked the reverse lockout to the brake switch so you have to tap the brakes to go in reverse. It works flawlessly but if im sitting in traffic or etc and keep my foot on the brake (which means the solenoid is going to stay open) is this going to cause any issues with the solenoid having power to it like that for longer periods of time?
Old 08-05-2008, 08:58 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did the pin thing not work for it? Bc i was thinking the same thing, that if the solenoid just kept staying open, and or open and closing alot. It would seem like I would burn up the solenoid. I know others in here have done it, lets hear your experiences.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:18 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by bjamick
Did the pin thing not work for it? Bc i was thinking the same thing, that if the solenoid just kept staying open, and or open and closing alot. It would seem like I would burn up the solenoid. I know others in here have done it, lets hear your experiences.
I havent tried to pin the PCM yet..
Old 08-06-2008, 06:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

i guess were are all facing the same problem. i PM`ed the_merv a couple of times he was helpfull he said:

"The easiest way to get that lock to work is to power one side, and to run the other side to the PCM RED Connector, Pin#44. If you have a Manual Tune already in the Car, this will work Factory"

but still didn`t get it. i know that 1 wire gose to pin#44 but where dose the other wire go. coz my connector has 2 wires.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:00 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Engine_HP
i guess were are all facing the same problem. i PM`ed the_merv a couple of times he was helpfull he said:

"The easiest way to get that lock to work is to power one side, and to run the other side to the PCM RED Connector, Pin#44. If you have a Manual Tune already in the Car, this will work Factory"

but still didn`t get it. i know that 1 wire gose to pin#44 but where dose the other wire go. coz my connector has 2 wires.
Other wire is the ground wire.. Ground the green one and run the pink one to the PCM.

I was just asking because if it wasnt going to hurt I was just going to leave mine like it is but I was concerned that the solenoid wouldnt like being in the open position for lon periods of time while the brakes are pushed.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:25 AM
TECH Veteran

Well if you ground one and put one to the PCM. How does the solenoid get power? One has to have power to it right or the solenoid wont work, right??
Old 08-06-2008, 09:41 AM
10 Second Club

Well if you ground one and put one to the PCM. How does the solenoid get power? One has to have power to it right or the solenoid wont work, right??
The PCM power's it when its below 3mph..
Old 08-06-2008, 11:17 AM
TECH Veteran

Ahh I see said the blind man..
Old 08-06-2008, 11:26 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Engine_HP
The Green wire goes to the PCM RED #44, the Pink is a Power wire, hot with Key on. I spliced it into the Transmission Power Circuit that powered the Auto.

Other wire is the ground wire.. Ground the green one and run the pink one to the PCM.
That won't work.. all you will have is a ground on both ends.. I'll explain below.

Actually, the way it goes is reverse of what you said, I described it above.

The PCM actually grounds out the Circuit, retracting the Solenoid so you can put it in Reverse.

That is how everything in these cars works..everything is powered and the PCM grounds it out to complete the circuit and to let whatever that circuit is for to function.

I answered your question in my posts above.. The Solenoid is constantly powered, when the PCM senses it's below 3mph, it grounds out that circuit, therefore completing it, retracting the Solenoid and letting you get it into Reverse.

I know all this cause I had to research it to put in a Convertor Manual Lockup Switch.. all I had to do was splice in a wire on the Lockup circuit, put a switch on it, and ground it. Turn on the switch, complete the circuit through that splice, and the Convertor locked up.

Last edited by the_merv; 08-06-2008 at 11:37 AM.
Old 08-06-2008, 11:37 AM
TECH Veteran

Ok so just get power to the pink wire and the green wire goes to red #44 on the pcm. Alrighty then.

Quick Reply: M6 to A4 and A4 to M6 Conversion info requested