Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

M6 to A4 and A4 to M6 Conversion info requested

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2005, 07:49 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok .... here's some pics of my A4 to M6 swap which was done in 2002 when the A4 crapped out.

I'm giving you a link to the album of the pics... no captions or anything yet, but some of the pics may help some of you out.

I have it apart again right now (due to the stinkin' Spec clutch set-up), and I'll also address some wiring issues that I didn't find out about until I had it together (the first time) and they showed up.

M3EATER's A4 to M6 swap photos

Old 03-30-2005, 07:58 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by M3EATER
Ok .... here's some pics of my A4 to M6 swap which was done in 2002 when the A4 crapped out.

I'm giving you a link to the album of the pics... no captions or anything yet, but some of the pics may help some of you out.

I have it apart again right now (due to the stinkin' Spec clutch set-up), and I'll also address some wiring issues that I didn't find out about until I had it together (the first time) and they showed up.

M3EATER's A4 to M6 swap photos

Woudl you do it For me? lol Whered you get the center console? is it the whole thing form an M6 or is it just hte shifter part?
Old 03-30-2005, 08:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I was able to get an M6 PCM and harness from the same year car as mine.

So I am assuming the T56 connectors will be able to plug right into the trans.

My question is, what wiring will I have to do? Any?? Pedals?
Old 03-30-2005, 08:46 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 02WS6Bird
Woudl you do it For me? lol Whered you get the center console? is it the whole thing form an M6 or is it just hte shifter part?

You just need the top part of the console, the main console is the same. I got all of my parts from the same donor car (a wreck).
Old 03-30-2005, 08:48 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by SSnakekiller
I was able to get an M6 PCM and harness from the same year car as mine.

So I am assuming the T56 connectors will be able to plug right into the trans.

My question is, what wiring will I have to do? Any?? Pedals?
You won't have the wiring in the car for the clutch pedal switches (I don't think I saw any extra harness plugs tucked up, unused). One of the other guys who posted in this thread said he had used an M6 harness .... maybe he can address this with you.
Old 03-31-2005, 08:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Is there supposed to be a switch that goes on the clutch pedal itself?

You know like the switches that go on the brake pedal...well I see an indentation for what looks like a switch for the clutch pedal. I am not talking about the black switch that gets triggered when the clutch is down.

Can anyone go look or does anyone know off hand?
Old 03-31-2005, 08:44 AM
On The Tree

there is a white switch on the m6 clutch pedal. I think it has for wires on it. It is pushed in when the clutch is not being used.
Old 03-31-2005, 06:03 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by jwastedx
there is a white switch on the m6 clutch pedal. I think it has for wires on it. It is pushed in when the clutch is not being used.

Yes, as noted, there is a white 4-pin switch (like the ones on the brake pedal). There are two circuits in the switch (2 pins for each circuit). They are open when the clutch is not depressed and closed when the pedal is depressed.

I'm not sure what they operate, but I'd assume that one of the circuits disengages the cruise control.
Old 04-01-2005, 01:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jwastedx
Yeah what gets wired to this switch? Where do the wires come from???
Old 04-01-2005, 01:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sevanseriesta
Those thinking about doing an M6 swap WARNING....WARNING ......WARNING. DO NOT BUY A 99+ YEAR WAIRING HARNESS FOR A 98 AND VISE VERSA. YOU WILL FRY YOUR PCM. I found out the hard way. 99+years are all the same 98 is the only year that was different. Everything is very simple. Hardest part is cutting hole for the shifter and the master cylinder, otherwise very simple.
Anyone know about this problem? I was able to get an M6 PCM and wiring harness from a 2000 car and mine is a 2000. But I think the trans is a 98 or 99.
Old 04-01-2005, 09:54 AM
TECH Regular

I just took a good look at mine, there are no "unused" connectors in the area that would be used for that white clutch switch (on the automatic car) if the car were built as a 6-sp.

Therefore, you will not have the wiring in the car to be used for the switch (even if you use an M6 PCM harness .... this is part of the interior harness). Just ignore that switch when doing the A4 to M6 swap. You won't have the cruise control disengagement when the clutch is depressed .... just remember that when driving.

However, you will use the black switch that the clutch pedal contacts when depressed. Wire the dark green and purple wires (from the auto shifter switch harness) to the two terminals on this switch. This will allow the starter to engage with the clutch depressed AND allow the cruise control to work. If you just connect these two wires together, the starter will work all the time, but the cruise control will not work.

-------------

As for the different year transmission ..... that's not an issue. You just need to match the new M6 harness (if you are swapping to one ..... I did not) to the year type of the PCM ..... in other words.... 98 only or 99 thru 02.

I've added the wiring pics to the photo album at:

A4 to M6 Trans Swap

Here's just the new wiring pics (for the auto selector switch harness):

Old 04-02-2005, 11:27 AM
TECH Regular

More wiring photos are up:

Skip-Shift elimination for the Auto Harness (with a 6-sp flashed PCM)
Reverse switch wiring
Removing & plugging reverse lock-out solenoid

A4 to M6 Swap Photos

Here's just a couple of the new pics ... there are more at the link above:

Last edited by M3EATER; 04-02-2005 at 05:04 PM.
Old 04-02-2005, 04:05 PM
10 Second Club

If you use an M6 harness, do you use the A4 wiring from the center console still for the reverse lights and reverse lock out??

Dan
Old 04-02-2005, 04:24 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by DanZ28
If you use an M6 harness, do you use the A4 wiring from the center console still for the reverse lights and reverse lock out??

Dan
good question, I didn't use an m6 harness, I'm using my a4 harness but have never gotten my reverse lockout to work right.

I've seen that SES light forever now
Old 04-02-2005, 04:54 PM
TECH Regular

Dan
When using the A4 harness, the reverse circuit comes from the auto shifter selector switch and this is inside the interior. Hence, the need to make the wiring down to the reverse switch on the trans, from the harness that went to the shifter.

The M6 harness may verywell have the reverse switch plug on it. Look at the part of the harness that has the rear O2 sensors and the speed sensor plugs. See if there is also a plug that looks like the one shown in the above photos. You'll likely also have a plug for the Skip-Shift solenoid and one for the reverse lock-out solenoid.

By the way ..... the skip-shift and the reverse lock out may work just fine with the M6 harness (asuming that it does have the connectors as mentioned above). Although, I think the switch on the brake pedal would need to be different for the reverse lock-out to work. There is a brake pedal switch for the A4 that controls the shifter lock (you have to have your foot on the brake to shift from PARK). I was hoping to be able to use this circuit (just cut the plug from the wires that went to the lock solenoid and wire them to the reverse lock-out). However, this switch is normally closed when the brake is not pushed ..... opposite of what the reverse lock-out needs.

Last edited by M3EATER; 04-02-2005 at 05:03 PM.
Old 04-02-2005, 04:58 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Fierce-LS1
good question, I didn't use an m6 harness, I'm using my a4 harness but have never gotten my reverse lockout to work right.

I've seen that SES light forever now

If you want to have the reverse lock-out work proprly, you'll have to figure out how to use a brake pedal switch to run power to the solenoid when the pedal is depressed.

You can also just run a hot wire (hot when ignition is on) to the solenoid and then to ground...... this will energize the solenoid all the time when the ignition is on. Quite frankly, you might as well remove it in this case.

Your SES light is for the Skip-Shift (assuming that everything else was done correctly). You can cure it by installing the 2.2K resistor as shown above.
Old 04-02-2005, 10:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I just did the LS1 4L60 to T56 Swap Guide with a few pics:

http://www.jlturbo.com/guide/m6swap.doc

This is a modified/added to version of the LT1 Guide.

Enjoy!
Old 04-10-2005, 05:10 PM
10 Second Club

On the brake/clutch pedal assembly, I have a white two wire switch with a pink and brown wire, does this go on the brake pedal or clutch pedal? what's it for? Also, on the clutch safety switch, what wire (purple and green) goes to which terminal on the switch if they are polarized?

Thanks,
Dan
Old 04-10-2005, 06:30 PM
Launching!

On the brake/clutch pedal assembly, I have a white two wire switch with a pink and brown wire, does this go on the brake pedal or clutch pedal? what's it for? Also, on the clutch safety switch, what wire (purple and green) goes to which terminal on the switch if they are polarized?

Thanks,
Dan
I will check on the white switch but for the clutch safety switch (black), polarity does not matter...it is just completing the circuit when the switch is in/out.
Old 04-10-2005, 07:48 PM
10 Second Club

Thanks!

If you could check out the other switch, I would appreciate it. I'm thinking it goes on the brake pedal as we (A4) cars didn't have anything to go on te clutch pedal in the first place. There are provisions for two swithces on the brake pedal so I'll assume it goes on the upper hole?!

Dan

Quick Reply: M6 to A4 and A4 to M6 Conversion info requested