Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

M6 to A4 and A4 to M6 Conversion info requested

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2006, 02:11 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

there's more than just the harness and ECM that's different. There are a few sensors that send different volts or ohms. I don't know them all but I know the fuel level sender in the tank sends out up to 100 Ohms and the 99+ sends out 250 Ohms. There have been a few people that have done it, but unless you want to spend more time and money than necessary right now go ahead and get a 98 ECM.
Old 09-13-2006, 04:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 8a8mfh
It would work out good if you got the ECM and the entire engine/trans harness. I'd swap the ECM and harness out if you got it all.
IS THIS TRUE!!!!! because i got the entire engine harness, and ecm from the 99 ss....but i got guys telling me 98 with 98 only,,, why do u say this will work?
Old 09-13-2006, 04:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by camaroguy26
there's more than just the harness and ECM that's different. There are a few sensors that send different volts or ohms. I don't know them all but I know the fuel level sender in the tank sends out up to 100 Ohms and the 99+ sends out 250 Ohms. There have been a few people that have done it, but unless you want to spend more time and money than necessary right now go ahead and get a 98 ECM.
please give me some more info...... on this subject.... thanks
Old 09-13-2006, 05:32 PM
TECH Resident

Well like I mentioned I never really looked into it. But a couple differences that I do know of are the fuel level sender and the instrument cluster. you might as well upgrade w/ plastic tank + pump upgrade kit like racetronix. Or just not know how much gas you have. The 98's have a steel tank and pump/sender setup like the 93-97 cars. Instrument Cluster has 35 pins to swap around and you have to add a wire/pin from the serial data port. 98 cluster uses analog inputs from sensors. 99+ use serial data from pcm. Plus, you have to consider the odometer if you just get a 99+ cluster, recalibration is around 200 or buy the special jig for around 6k. Or get lucky and find one with some milage close to yours. I'll keep looking and see if I can get more info.

edit: also the coolant temp sensor needs to be swapped with a 99+ unit

Last edited by camaroguy26; 09-14-2006 at 10:49 AM.
Old 09-21-2006, 09:26 PM
10 Second Club

well i'm doing the a3--->m6 conversion on my car. this thread has been a great help, can honestly say i wouldn't be with it if it wasn't here

i figured this might help some of you guys out. i know they are not a sponsor BUT neither is pepboys/bla bla bla. they are pretty good on prices and have most any connector for any wiring needed pertaining to this thread.

click me for pigtails/connectors/wiring

Last edited by SSwanner; 09-21-2006 at 10:08 PM.
Old 10-01-2006, 08:46 PM
TECH Resident

Has anyone gotten the reverse lights to work with the manual harness ?
Reason ... I used to have an a4 harness and it worked and ended up putting an m6 harness in. But now my reverse lights do not work. Does it still need to be from the center console ?

How did you m6 harness people wire the reverse light ?

Last edited by Fierce-LS1; 10-01-2006 at 08:56 PM.
Old 10-02-2006, 11:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by my number 1 hater
please give me some more info...... on this subject.... thanks

just splice your a4 harness trust me it works great, and its easy as hell, and dont use a 99+ harness, ive heard of some people frying there pcm because they used a 99+ on a 98, my fuer lever sensor works fine like stock, just reprogram your pcm when you do the swap to an m6 program
Old 10-08-2006, 01:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Is an 05 GTO T56 w/ bell housing the same size/length of a 98/02 M4? What I mean is will it fit into the same space? Also want to use my existing 98 PCM & have it flashed for an M6. Anyone see any problems w/ trying to do this? Thank-you.
Old 10-24-2006, 10:33 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 8a8mfh
Thats what I've been trying to tell you guys, I got the wiring diagram from this thread IIRC and if it didn't come from here it came from the one in the automatic trans forum.

Like I said earlier Pin 32 goes to the gray wire on the clutch pedal position switch, and the black/wht wire from the switch joins to other wires of the same color deep in the bundle of wires, one of these being the blk/wht that goes to the ALDL connector.
And the reverse lockout solenoid goes to pin 44. These are the only two I care about, not concerned with cags.
So that would only be two wires to fish from the pcm, under the dash and to the rev solenoid and to clutch pedal switch.

Now..does anyone know how to remove that plastic pin and install a wire into the pcm harness?
The other two wires (pink/brown) on that anticipation switch, where do they go? I just had the swap done and have no cruise control, I wired in the clutch saftey switch/reverse lights tonight yet still cannot get the cruise to work, also when you say these two switches are wired in series (the clutch/brake switch) can you explain that a bit to me? I tried to follow along in the other posts but could not quite keep up. Thanks for the help.--Tony
Old 10-25-2006, 12:31 PM
TECH Resident

I don't know the wire colors or how it is on the 99+ (I have a 98) but the cruise switches are always closed until you step on the pedal. Meaning it always has current going through it until you open the switch by braking or releasing the clutch. Knowing this you can wire the switches in series so when you open either switch it will turn off the cruise. Just take one of the wires from the original switch and wire it to the new switch. Then connect the empty terminals from both switches together. It doesn't matter which of the wires or terminals you use.

As for PIN 32 I don't know for sure if you need to use it or not. If wiring the switches still doesn't work for you, you probably do need to wire pin 32 to ground. Or you can wire it all the way to that second switch then to ground.
Old 10-25-2006, 06:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Tonys99RamAir
The other two wires (pink/brown) on that anticipation switch, where do they go? I just had the swap done and have no cruise control, .............. also when you say these two switches are wired in series (the clutch/brake switch) can you explain that a bit to me?. Thanks for the help.--Tony
Pink and brown were already there with the A4. The M6 pedal assembly switches came with a small wire harness that connects the two switches and plugs into the original plug.
Sounds like you're missing this small harness that connects the two switches to the one original wire plug that went into the A4 brake pedal switch.
IIRC check the posting dates, you need pin 32 added for cruise.
Old 10-26-2006, 09:30 PM
On The Tree

I know about adding the pin, that is not my problem. I am just tryin to figure out where the pink and brown wires go. I am dealing with cut wires on these switches so I am tryin to figure out which one goes where. Here is a pic that might make more sense of what I am talkin about...

I am assuming that the wires with the red lines go together, the one with the blue line is what you run to PIN32 in the PCM, and the pink dot one goes in the the cars existing harness, am I correct so far? What I am not understanding is where the wires with the green dot by them go. Are they used in the auto harness and just carry over or no? I really appreciate all the help BTW, I am lookin foward to getting my cruise control back, lol.--Tony
Old 11-21-2006, 10:01 PM
Teching In

whats a shift plate
Old 12-01-2006, 12:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Does anyone know how much the conversion parts are to go from an A4 to an M6 if you already have a t-56 & dont need one in the kit?
Old 12-03-2006, 06:42 PM
Teching In

i have all the parts you need to go from m6 to a4 if anyone is intrested.
Old 12-05-2006, 07:06 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default auto 4spd to M6 conversion dimesion.

I have ’01 Camaro Z-28 V-6 Automatic. I plan put new LS2 motor and manual 6spd..
I need correct dimensions to do cut the metal at middle beside the front seats for M6 6 spd. T-56 Tremec.
Please get info. from this forum.
Old 12-05-2006, 08:51 PM
Teching In

i was wondering if anyone can help i just did a a4 to m6 but didnt bleed the clutch with the bleeder screw on the side of the tranny. instead i used the mini vac. but my tranny only has 4th and reverse and dont go into any other gears. clutch feels hard.i was wondeering if i hafto bleed the clutch with the screw or no.
Old 02-08-2007, 12:00 AM
Teching In

im thinkin of swaping my a-4 to m-6 can anyone tell me how much im lookin to spend and is there any one that want to trade trannys
Old 02-08-2007, 07:34 AM
TECH Resident

ru_ssmaro... that sounds like a completely different problem than not bleeding the clutch through the bleed screw. You may need to have the tranny checked out at a shop and possibly rebuilt but I could be wrong. many people here have used the mighty vac with no problems including myself. sorry for the bad news

gonzo69... it really depends the way you go. I bought my kit for 1400 and did it myself, with misc. parts it cost about 1600 total. If you buy a kit from a junkyard it will probably be more, from a personal seller it might be less or the same. With installation fees you're looking 2000+
Some people on here will trade you but they want an A4 that's really well built and can take 600+ horses. You're better off buying a swap kit and selling your parts as a kit or seperately. I still have all of my parts at my parents house so when I go home this summer I'm going to take pics and make a list to post on here. Just look around on the F/S section there might be a few kits.

Last edited by camaroguy26; 02-08-2007 at 07:41 AM.
Old 02-08-2007, 07:39 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Jeff Smith
I have ’01 Camaro Z-28 V-6 Automatic. I plan put new LS2 motor and manual 6spd..
I need correct dimensions to do cut the metal at middle beside the front seats for M6 6 spd. T-56 Tremec.
Please get info. from this forum.
didn't know they put V-6's in Z28's. anyways I didn't measure when I cut and it worked out well. Most people install the tranny and mark it then pull it out and cut the hole. I just cut the plate off that holds the A4 shifter to where it is spot welded on the tunnel. then lined up the shift boot to where the back was just in front of that cut, and finally cut a square hole just inside of that shift boot. I cut more than I really needed to but it worked well and I didn't have to install the tranny twice.

Quick Reply: M6 to A4 and A4 to M6 Conversion info requested