Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

M6 to A4 and A4 to M6 Conversion info requested

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 06:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i just completed my A4 to M6 conversion. i bought everything i needed from contemporary corvette in bristol, pa. the trans turned out to be bad and they rebuilt the entire trans without questions. the stand behind what the sell. i was wondering why a lot of people were removing the reverse lock out or wiring it to the brake switch. i have a 98 and i just moved pin 61 to pin 42 and wired it to the lockout. it took me all of 5 minutes because the wire is already ran down to the trans. i just got it programmed to a M6 and it works perfect. so i guess my question is why remove it when it's so easy to hook up. any benefits?
Old 07-12-2006, 07:41 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by TransAmDrag98
i just completed my A4 to M6 conversion. i bought everything i needed from contemporary corvette in bristol, pa. the trans turned out to be bad and they rebuilt the entire trans without questions. the stand behind what the sell. i was wondering why a lot of people were removing the reverse lock out or wiring it to the brake switch. i have a 98 and i just moved pin 61 to pin 42 and wired it to the lockout. it took me all of 5 minutes because the wire is already ran down to the trans. i just got it programmed to a M6 and it works perfect. so i guess my question is why remove it when it's so easy to hook up. any benefits?
is that on the C1 or C2?

Where do I find wiring diagrams for my 98 Z28?
Old 07-12-2006, 07:46 PM
Banned

so i guess my question is why remove it when it's so easy to hook up. any benefits?
Because of all cars from '98 to '02 the '98 is totally different. I did my '02 and had to add a pin in the VCM harness to work the reverse solenoid because theres nothing there from the factory (in a 2002 anyway).
I guess people remove the solenoid because they don't feel like running the wire.
Old 07-13-2006, 03:33 PM
Teching In

i used one of the wires from the 20 pin connector that went to the auto tranny. the red wire from pin 61. move it to pin 42 where there is nothing there on a 98. you should be able to do this on any year because you don't use that 20 pin connector anymore. on other years i believe it is pin 44.
Old 07-13-2006, 04:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by TransAmDrag98
i used one of the wires from the 20 pin connector that went to the auto tranny. the red wire from pin 61. move it to pin 42 where there is nothing there on a 98. you should be able to do this on any year because you don't use that 20 pin connector anymore. on other years i believe it is pin 44.
Sounds like what I did. I used a wire that went to the A4 that was no longer used and put it in where it needed to go. It's all in this thread somewhere.
But I know nothing about the 1998's other than they are different from '99 and up and use different numbers on the pins.
Old 07-14-2006, 11:28 AM
Staging Lane

thats what i did. well worth the 5 extra minutes to hook up.
Old 07-22-2006, 02:47 AM
Launching!

What kind of shops do the A4 to M6 conversion? Transmission or Speed/performance shops?
Old 07-22-2006, 09:11 AM
Banned

some regular mechanic shops do it too.

Thats where I went.
Old 07-29-2006, 03:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

I know CAGS has been mentioned, but there doesn't seem to be much detail on it.

I'm doing the A4 --> M6 swap soon, into my '02 Z28, and just curious what will happen (or not happen?) with CAGS if I don't wire anything up to it?? Point being, I don't want CAGS to be working. But I think there's been mention of a trouble code associated with it?? What's the easiest way around this ... wire up a CAGS eliminating module? Or when I get the PCM reflashed, can it be eliminated that way??

Thx in advance .

BTW, this is a GREAT thread!! Very informative!
Old 07-29-2006, 05:08 PM
Banned

Cags has been covered here, but it takes a while to find the post. When you get the Vehicle Control Module (VCM) reflashed just have them set the cags enable temperature up high, like 250 or so.
Old 07-30-2006, 03:39 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Cap'n Pete
I know CAGS has been mentioned, but there doesn't seem to be much detail on it.

I'm doing the A4 --> M6 swap soon, into my '02 Z28, and just curious what will happen (or not happen?) with CAGS if I don't wire anything up to it?? Point being, I don't want CAGS to be working. But I think there's been mention of a trouble code associated with it?? What's the easiest way around this ... wire up a CAGS eliminating module? Or when I get the PCM reflashed, can it be eliminated that way??

Thx in advance .

BTW, this is a GREAT thread!! Very informative!
Take a 2.2K Ohm 1/2 Watt Resistor and wire it between the white whire from the A4 plug to the pink O2 sensor wire. It's pretty much the same thing as the module just the cheap way of doing it.

Courtesy of M3EATER. He has it in his page of his photos from the swap. Here's where he posted his link: https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...0&page=5&pp=20 the pic w/explanation is on page 4
Old 07-30-2006, 07:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

Cool ... thx!!

After 14 pages of reading, my mind went a little numb!!

So initially (until I get my car into a shop for the PCM flash) the computer won't look for CAGS, but once they flash it, it will? And to eliminate it, either of the 2 methods above will work? (program it out, or wire it out??) Ok, sounds easy enough!
Old 08-04-2006, 12:58 AM
TECH Resident

yes pretty much, but you don't want to wait too long to get it flashed, I've heard some bad stories of guys with an A4 program and M6 tranny. it won't **** it up, its just not good for the car
Old 08-10-2006, 12:50 AM
TECH Resident

just finished my swap today. I was kind of in a rush to get it done and out on the road so I didn't worry about any CAGS wiring or cruise control switches. only problems I had was getting the automatic tranny out, bleeding the clutch (I finally got into town to get that mighty vac and bleed it from the reservoir, worked great!) And once I had it done and trying to start the car it would not turn over, come to find out the computer I bought off ls1tech with an M6 tune still had the A4 tune so it was looking for the park/neutral from the auto shifter. Everything else went pretty smooth and took about 16 hours with me and a friend taking our time and goofing around.

I know removing the y-pipe is an option, and I didn't remove it when I removed the A4, but I had it out while installing the M6, REMOVE IT! It's not that big of a pain in the ***, it gives you SO much more room, and the engine/tranny can be tilted for a better access to the bolts. My A4 was rebuilt 20,000 miles ago and I found one bolt missing and one torque converter bolt finger tight, not to mention the fluid was in bad shape.

Bottom Line: WELL WORTH IT!!! It's a completely different world.
Old 08-15-2006, 11:47 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 8a8mfh
I've decided to install a diode in the reverse lockout circuit. The solenoid created a huge arc when power is disconnected and this happens in the PCM. It could damage it. Factory wiring diagrams show a diode so I put one in. It's Radioshack part# 1N4001, two for $0.63.

Here is some information on why it needs a diode.
Ok, I am about to do this on my 99 TA but I am an idiot when it comes to wiring stuff in. Where did you put this diode on the car? You put it down by the reverse lockout or up by the PCM where you add the pin? Also all these other wires I am gonna need for the reverse lights/brake lights and such are found under the console by the auto shifter correct? And these are the only wires I am gonna need to splice into right? Thanks for the help.--Tony
Old 08-16-2006, 05:22 AM
Banned

Where did you put this diode on the car?
Under the console where I ran the wires to, the diode goes between the two solenoid wires.

all these other wires I am gonna need for the reverse lights/brake lights and such are found under the console by the auto shifter correct?
Yes, nothing with the brake lights, just reverse lights. The neutral safety wiring is under the console but it goes to under the dash, instead of running wire under the carpet you can just wire it from the source.
Old 08-16-2006, 08:24 AM
On The Tree

Cool man, thanks.--Tony
Old 08-31-2006, 02:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default This is what i GOT

I have a 98 Z28 A4... I just got my dirty lil hands on a M6, ECM, and harness out of a 99 SS ,,, I got all the parts i need pedals, slave, master, clutch exc...... what kind of problems will i have IF ANY???????
Old 09-01-2006, 09:43 PM
TECH Resident

your first problem is that that 99 ECM you have wont' work, 98's are compatible with 98's ONLY! You can drive the car with the automatic program in it, but you will have a crapload of codes and the engine won't be running like it should while driving around, and your speedometer will read 25MPH while you're doing 80.

The only problems I had was cutting the hole and installing the Master Cylinder (get a friend to help!) and bleeding the clutch. I finally bought a mighty vac and it worked great! Highly recommend using that. You'll have small problems along the way (removing the automatic tranny bolts, lines for the tranny cooler, etc.) but just use your head, take your time, and think it through and you'll get it done. You can do most of it yourself except it's easier with a friend for the master, and removing / installing the transmission. Find that guide in this sticky somewhere for the process.
Old 09-03-2006, 08:04 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by my number 1 hater
I have a 98 Z28 A4... I just got my dirty lil hands on a M6, ECM, and harness out of a 99 SS ,,, I got all the parts i need pedals, slave, master, clutch exc...... what kind of problems will i have IF ANY???????
It would work out good if you got the ECM and the entire engine/trans harness. I'd swap the ECM and harness out if you got it all.

Quick Reply: M6 to A4 and A4 to M6 Conversion info requested