Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

M6 to A4 and A4 to M6 Conversion info requested

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2006, 01:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

on the brake pedal there is a switch for stop light + TCC (with 4 connectors) and a small one with only 2 connectors.
The small one belongs to the cruise control system. When you push the brake pedal it will OPEN: in this way the PCM knows that it has to turn off the cruise control.
If you don't connect this switch the cruise control won't work. You also need to adjust it correctly: use a multimeter and check it's function. It should open as soon you move the brake pedal a little. There is a plastick nut to adjust.

You need the same switch also on the clutch pedal. Adjust it the same way with a multimeter, then connect it IN SERIES with the other cruise control switch.
Result: either you push the clutch or the brake the cruise control will be deactivated.
The following users liked this post:
Pat_Dane89 (06-21-2020)
Old 02-09-2006, 12:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here are a few tips from when I did the M6 -> A4 swap a couple of weeks ago.

First thing is to make sure you have everything. That being said, here are some tips:

1. Drop the steering colum to take the pedals out. It'll make things much much easier. Also remember where all of the plugs go. Take a pic if it'll help.

2. You're going to have a decent sized hole in the tunnel where the M6 shifter came up thru. You'll need to cover this. Here is what I did. Get a piece of decently think sheet metal atleast 18"x18" and some self tapping screws. Trace the hole onto a piece of paper. Then cut the metal 1" larger than the trace. You'll only be able to go 1/2" bigger on the top (front) due to space. From there line it up. Then drill some holes thru the sheet metal and the tunnel. Keep the holes you drill as close to the lip of the tunnel hole as possible (1/4-1/2"). Use a very thin drill bit. I made 2 on the top, 2 on the bottom and 3 on each side. That was more than enough. Then screw it down. After you've got it screwed down you'll need a rubber mallet. You'll notice you have all of the edges sticking out. Beat them into place with the mallet. After a bit they will all fold down nicely and it'll lood good. Then go under the car. Fill in the new "seam" of the cover and the tunnel lip with some black RTV sealant. Use plenty and go around the entire rim. Allow that to dry. Then mock up your shifter to see there your shifter cable will come thru. It should be on the drivers front part of the cover. Then go back under the car and drill thru with a 2" hole saw. Feed the shifter cable up and pop the rubber gromet into place.

3. A lift makes things very easy.

Here's all that you will need parts wise.....

4L60E with bell housing
A4 shifter
A4 wiring harness
A4 crossmember
A4 flexplate
A4 upper console
A4 pedals
Trans dip stick tube
Converter
Trans cooler
And you'll need an A4 tune thrown in it or have it reflashed to an A4.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

-Brian
The following users liked this post:
Pat_Dane89 (06-21-2020)
Old 02-11-2006, 08:53 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am about to do the A4 to M6 and have a friend that works for Gm and claims that both reverse lockout and CAGS will have to be wired up to keep trouble codes away but it seems that I can just take out the reverse lockout and not hook up CAGS and I will be fine . Did I understand this correctly ?
As for drilling a hole for the master cylinder , my car already has a hole with a rubber plug in it .
Old 02-11-2006, 10:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by strippedZ
I am about to do the A4 to M6 and have a friend that works for Gm and claims that both reverse lockout and CAGS will have to be wired up to keep trouble codes away but it seems that I can just take out the reverse lockout and not hook up CAGS and I will be fine . Did I understand this correctly ?
You can eliminate the error codes generated by those things:

P0801 (reverse lockout solenoid check) SES OFF - Error Mode = X
P0803 (upshift solenoid control circuit) SES OFF - Error Mode = X
P0804 (upshift lamp control circuit) SES OFF - Error Mode = X
M6 CAGS Enable Temperature = 250F

The reverse lockout is a safety device: some people connect it to the stop light (as I did). It's not bullet proof but it avoid shifting 6-R instead of 6-5 on the highway... It would be better to install a diode in series of the solenoid or it will make sparks in the stop lights relais and burn it.
You also can remove the internals of the solenoid so it won't lock the reverse when it's not connected.

Originally Posted by strippedZ
As for drilling a hole for the master cylinder , my car already has a hole with a rubber plug in it .
You lucky guy!
Old 02-13-2006, 08:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

While doing the conversion with a used but recently rebuilt transmission, are there any seals or bearings that should be replaced since everything will be out? Mine will hopefully be put in the shop this weekend for the swap.
Old 02-14-2006, 01:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

I would say pilot and TO bearings, slave cylinder, rear engine seal (only if it leaks).
Is it a new clutch? It would be a good idea to check if it's zero balanced (included flywheel). New doesn't mean perfect (as I experienced).
Old 02-14-2006, 01:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the response; it is an old stock clutch and flywheel.
Old 02-14-2006, 10:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Marc '99T/A
While doing the conversion with a used but recently rebuilt transmission, are there any seals or bearings that should be replaced since everything will be out? Mine will hopefully be put in the shop this weekend for the swap.

The only thing that you'll need is a new pilot bearing. Just check the rest and replace if needed.
Old 02-14-2006, 04:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks.
Old 02-14-2006, 04:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

No problem.

I just did the swap going both ways about a month ago. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.
Old 03-12-2006, 11:24 AM
TECH Resident

for all of you that converted from A4 to M6 was it worth it? Do you like the new setup? or would you rather of just upgraded the A4?
Old 03-12-2006, 12:51 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by camaroguy26
for all of you that converted from A4 to M6 was it worth it? Do you like the new setup? or would you rather of just upgraded the A4?
It was Worth it for me. I was just getting bored with the A4 myself and once I blew my BUILT 4l60e, I just decided to do the M6 and 12 bolt swap. If I ever went back to an Auto, I would do the TH400/trans brake swap.

Dan
Old 03-12-2006, 03:16 PM
TECH Resident

sweet, I found a complete kit off of a 98 WS6 as in how complete I don't really know as of yet, but it's 200 bucks. I just know it doesn't come with the tranny, shifter, and definately need the new console. Is 200 bucks about right for everything? How easy is it to find a used tranny and console in junk yards?
Old 03-17-2006, 12:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just got the car back last night. I'm sooo glad I did the swap. It was definately worth the $. Makes the car so much more fun to drive.
Old 03-17-2006, 12:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by camaroguy26
sweet, I found a complete kit off of a 98 WS6 as in how complete I don't really know as of yet, but it's 200 bucks. I just know it doesn't come with the tranny, shifter, and definately need the new console. Is 200 bucks about right for everything? How easy is it to find a used tranny and console in junk yards?
soo... what are you getting for $200?
A kit is composed by:
tranny
shifter
console
pedals
hydraulics
clutch

kits like that are sold for about $2000
Old 03-26-2006, 07:35 PM
Banned

Will a center console top and boots out of a M5 V6 car work in an A4 to M6 swap?
Old 03-29-2006, 09:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am getting ready to do the swap. Got the tranny from Keisler and most of the other stuff from Fred Beans gm site - Those guys have been very helpful.

I have my 4L60E + 2 Torque converters(stock and a 2500 TCI) if any one is interested. I have used Mobil1 tranny fluid exclusively and the tranny is in good condition.
Old 03-29-2006, 06:35 PM
Banned

Is Billy Graham a ******* retard?
I call up to order some stuff and he says I'm better off getting it at my dealer and to just call and tell them that I am Billy Graham and it'll get me his discount.
Ok I call and guess what, yea just what you'd expect Billy Graham who?
He was a nice guy but he missed out on a sale just under $1000 of misc stuff that I ended up getting at the dealer.
Old 03-29-2006, 06:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 8a8mfh
Is Billy Graham a ******* retard?
I call up to order some stuff and he says I'm better off getting it at my dealer and to just call and tell them that I am Billy Graham and it'll get me his discount.
Ok I call and guess what, yea just what you'd expect Billy Graham who?
He was a nice guy but he missed out on a sale just under $1000 of misc stuff that I ended up getting at the dealer.
Call Fred Beans. Best GM prices I have found!
Old 04-03-2006, 09:04 PM
12 Second Club

I just finished the swap and am very happy. The only real problem was that the clutch switch was broken so the car wouldn't start until I put the wires together. The minor problem is that the speedo is off quite a bit. Overall everything was good.

Quick Reply: M6 to A4 and A4 to M6 Conversion info requested