Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

can my 6spd be made to work on dads olds SBC

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2004, 02:31 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default can my 6spd be made to work on dads olds SBC

i have just decided to switch out my M6 to a a4, My dad is currently in the process of building a 32 ford coupe, and he wants to buy all the stuff from me and use it for his coupe. My questions is has been done b4, will the input shaft go into a old SBC, i know they make a adapter for bellhousing to engine, but can it be made to work, and also what about the few electrical things on the m6, can those be hooked up correctly. Any help is appreciated, i wanna get the 6spd out of mine before i break it again
THanks
Old 08-08-2004, 06:27 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honestly he is better off with the LT1 tranny as a starting point but the LS1 unit will work but the clutch setup isn't as good as the LT1 setup. Anyways, Jags that run make a cable speedo conversion kit for a T56 so that will help him out maybe.
Old 08-08-2004, 07:17 PM
wrencher

Ditto on that, the LT1 T-56 is much better suited to bolt up to a SBC.
You'll be much better off with that set-up.
Old 08-08-2004, 07:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

All you need is the right flywheel bolts, pilot bearing, and bell housing. You would also have to fabricate something for the clutch pedal and master cylinder.

It would probably be easier to fit up an LT1 setup, but you could probably do the LS1 setup if you had the patience.

LS1 clutches used to be inferior, but they have come a long way.
Old 08-10-2004, 01:41 AM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

The LS1 trans. will work great. Talk to McLeod and look up the T56 article from late last year/ early this year in Car Craft / Hot Rod about the McLeod adapter parts. IIRC, their adapter plate setup lets you use the Gen III T56 behind a standard bellhousing, and that will let you use a 153 or 168 tooth flywheel (a 153 is a common third gen F item) and that'll let you use mechanical linkage or hydraulic; sky is the limit at that point really. I would not recommend the McLeod hyd. throwout bearing with this setup.

The LT1 T56 is more of a direct boltup if you wanna go hydraulic but the clutches run more $ and the flywheel if his engine is pre-86 will be $ too. This swap won't be cheap but it'll be worth it.

Oh, and LS1 clutches have never been inferior. They have just always had poor release systems. If you don't drill mod, you don't have a proper clutch on a Gen III T56.
Old 08-10-2004, 01:33 PM
11 Second Club

[QUOTE=jmd]The LS1 trans. will work great. Talk to McLeod and look up the T56 article from late last year/ early this year in Car Craft / Hot Rod about the McLeod adapter parts. IIRC, their adapter plate setup lets you use the Gen III T56 behind a standard bellhousing, and that will let you use a 153 or 168 tooth flywheel (a 153 is a common third gen F item) and that'll let you use mechanical linkage or hydraulic; sky is the limit at that point really. I would not recommend the McLeod hyd. throwout bearing with this setup.

The LT1 T56 is more of a direct boltup if you wanna go hydraulic but the clutches run more $ and the flywheel if his engine is pre-86 will be $ too. This swap won't be cheap but it'll be worth it.

Oh, and LS1 clutches have never been inferior. They have just always had poor release systems. If you don't drill mod, you don't have a proper clutch on a Gen III T56. [/QUOTE

What about electronics that are on the trans, how do you go about hooking those up. And for the clutch and all that i have a aftermarket mcloud single disk, with their master cylinder and a new gm slave, and other than being a botch to bleed it works great for me.
Old 08-11-2004, 06:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know you want to use what you have , so you will prolly make it work. For anyone who does not already have a trans., there is a T56 made for this . It has an adapter plate at the front that accepte the bell and release system from the older set up. A lot less crafting( and associated probs) required.
Old 08-11-2004, 07:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

There are 4 electrical connectors on the tranny:

1) Skip shift - no need to hook it up, everyone disconnects it anyway
2) Vehicle speed sensor - again, no need for it unless running fuel injection
3) Reverse Lockout 'noid - usually related to vehicle speed sensor / PCM control (at 0 mph, allow entry in to reverse gear) - can be removed, or wired to a manual pushbutton
4) Reverse Lights - probably the only one you *need* - it's about mid-trans on the passenger's side - it's just an on/off switch
Old 08-11-2004, 11:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

can wire the reverse noid to the brake switch. Brakes on for a reverse shift/ acts the noid - no extra stuff to add.

Quick Reply: can my 6spd be made to work on dads olds SBC