Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

a couple A4 to M6 questions (truck)

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2004, 11:36 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a couple A4 to M6 questions (truck)

Well, the 4l60e in the truck is about dead (slipping from 1-2 shift) so it's time to attempt the T-56 swap in the 02 gmc. I know most of the parts I need but I do have a few questions:

Since I am using a tranny for an f-body, I planned on using the 01 and up clutch master and slave cyl., but I planned on using the pedal assembly from a 5 speed truck. Anyone know if I should have any problems with this? Or should I use the clutch master from a 5 speed truck?

I tow about 3 days a week, as much as 2 tons. Any ideas on a clutch and flywheel to use? I need something that will hold up to my power (see mods below) but I do need it to slip some when pulling the trailer (hooking up to the trailer, or backing it up)

I hear that I can use my current drive shaft, is this true?

Any ideas where to find some of the parts cheap? Also, since I don't readily have someone avail to flash the pcm, I can run on the auto flash, but it will throw a code or 10 correct?

I am not worried about the shifter through the floor or anything, I can figure that out, I just need to make sure I have all the parts:

master cylinder (from what? truck or car?)
master cylinder u-bolt and nuts
slave cylinder (from car I am assuming)
new pedal assembly with clips for clutch rod and brake rod (what clips are they talking about? why brake rod? I guess the clips break when removing them?)
pilot bearing (for an f-body I am assuming, surely the crank on a 5.3 has the same provision for it, we all know the 6.0 cranks do)
bellhousing
T56
modify crossmember (a 5 speed truck cross member wont work right?
T56 torque arm mount and bolts (what is this? tranny mount? will the auto one work?)
shifter (I guess I will fab some bullshit up)
pressure plate (from who?)
flywheel (is the stock one ok?)
clutch, and all related bolts (from who?)
clutch tool (does this come with kit?)
Old 09-08-2004, 10:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

I am in the process of doing this swap too. I have a trany on the way and now I am just gathering parts.

I have heard that the truck pedal and hydraulics work, nut the connections are different, that is a simple change. The crossmember out of a 5 speed truck will work too. Not too sure for the drive shaft though.

This guy took a LS1 T56 and put it in place of his 4.8 5speed. - Click Here

My swap is going to be a hit and miss deal. Hopefully I will go OK.

Good luck with you swap and keep in touch, so we can make this work!

Ben
Old 09-08-2004, 10:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Oh, and contact Allen Nelson about you PCM, he will help you out! Click in the "For Sale" threads, that is where I am finding all my parts.

Last edited by 1TRUESS; 09-08-2004 at 10:42 AM.
Old 09-09-2004, 12:04 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 1TRUESS
Oh, and contact Allen Nelson about you PCM, he will help you out! Click in the "For Sale" threads, that is where I am finding all my parts.
Allen has tuned my truck thus far, i've already talked with him about the t-56, luckily he said he can do it.