Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

shifter jumps

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2004, 08:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default shifter jumps

i just got this car a week or so ago and noticed the shifter moves up when you give it gas ... my old Z28 started doing this and the transmission mount was broke so i put a new mount in my car even though the stocker looked good but it still does it

even in neutral if i rev it it will move with the engine

do i need new motor mounts?

i may just go with ply motor and trans mounts as long as they dont send too much vibrations in the car

I need replies from those with 6 speeds as to wether or not their sticks do this also. Does your stick also have some wirling sounds from the tranny coming up through it especially when you grab it? Thanks in advance!
Old 09-21-2004, 09:37 PM
wrencher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might need a mount, & the noise is normal.
Old 09-21-2004, 09:51 PM
TECH Junkie

a mount?

motor or tranny mount?

the tranny mount is new ..... i just have not driven another 6 speed ls1 to see wether the shifter moves under torque

like i said, even in nutral i can give it gas and it kinda moves up and to the right when i give it gas and then back when i let off
Old 09-21-2004, 10:34 PM
TECH Junkie

to the top
Old 09-21-2004, 11:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The poly motor mounts will help and you shouldn't have much if any extra vibration. The stick will still move, but not much. I get a whirring sound but I think it's my throwout bearing cause it goes away when I push in the clutch, kind of the opposite of what i'd expect but whatever.
Old 09-22-2004, 12:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the noise is very normal. I have a Pro- 5.0 shifter so it makes a lot of noise and some vibration. The moving of the stick is normal with every one I have driven. Its just the torque of the engine. If you do go with the poly mounts, don't buy energy suspension. I just put a new clutch in mine, and decided to go with the mount for the heck of it. Had a headache of a time trying to figure out where this really excessive vibration was coming from. Tried swapping the mount back for the stocker, and everything is fine now. The poly mount was about 1/8 to 1/4 in taller than stock and was pushing my tranny up against the tunnel. I scrapped it and stuck with the stock mount.
Old 09-29-2004, 04:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Both of my T/A's shifters moved slightly when given gas. Unless it's moving a whole lot, like an inch, I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 09-29-2004, 07:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

A little movement and noise are normal. Just make sure your tranni mount is not ripped.
Old 10-09-2004, 07:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Update. I put in the drivers side prothane engine mount and all I can say is WOW. I didnt know it would make that much difference. My stick just barely moves now and some of the noise is gone.

On a side note, I tested a friends 01 WS6 with the Hurst shifter it came from the factory with and his doesnt have any sound at all and doesnt move at all. Also my B&M Ripper shifter is no closer or shorter than his in terms of stick height or throw.

His car also shifts like butter while mine is notchy shifting. Anybody know why mine isnt smooth? Is it probably the shifter?
Old 10-10-2004, 11:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

yep, i got the same problem with the notchy shifting, my bud has an 01 ws6 also, shifts like butter, and he always shifts faster than me b/c of it...i dunno what causes it
Old 10-11-2004, 06:55 PM
TECH Junkie

well im gonna have to take this back ttt since I now know that another 99 shifts notchy and another 01 shifts like butta

anyone know why? my clutch is not in real good shape. It doesnt slip but its like its not fully disengaging when i mash the pedal to the floor because when i shift into 1st while sitting still it is still sending power to the rear end because it clunks

so if this is not the clutch but rather a hydro problem, where should i start looking first ... i know I need the upgrade slave but Im sure the car isnt supposed to be like this

Quick Reply: shifter jumps