Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

More clutch problems, possibly the tranny?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2004, 07:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More clutch problems, possibly the tranny?

Well i just thought i would take the car again before i got the new clutch installed, but it wouldnt go into 3rd gear at high rpm. . . .WTF??? I ordered a spec 3 with the upgraded hydrolics so those will go in next weekend, but am i looking at a tranny rebuild here?

If i do need to rebuild anything, what? Shift forks? Syncros? What is essential and what isnt. . .Is there a possibility it is just the clutch and the tranny is just fine?
Old 09-27-2004, 10:14 AM
On The Tree

TTT
Old 09-28-2004, 09:55 AM
On The Tree

TTT, i know one of you had a problem getting into 3rd gear at high rpm's before.
Old 09-28-2004, 09:48 PM
Teching In

Ttt = ?
Old 09-28-2004, 10:54 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by CamaroSSx1999
Ttt = ?
ttt means To The Top. If your a lazy *** like me, it makes things alot easier.
Old 09-29-2004, 07:03 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am having that problem going into second now. I have a specIII w/billet flywheel and upgraded hydraulics. It was fine until this past weekend when I finally got the car to hook. I'm pulling the trans to check the slave and make sure the pressure plate did not come loose cause know the peddle feels eratic.
Call D And D here in Detroit. They will get you what you need for the trans.
If you have not done the drill mod I would give that a try
Old 09-29-2004, 07:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

Bowtie: What happens when it won't go into 3rd?

From past experience, my 3rd gear problems started with the clutch, and ended up blowing the 3rd gear synchros. If it rakes going into 3rd, or it keeps popping out of 3rd, that points toward the synchros. If it's not raking or popping out yet, you may be able to save the trans if your clutch is working properly. I was running into an issue where I either had air in the clutch line, or the fluid needed a change. It seems the fluid can only handle so much heat before it breaks down and needs to be flushed. I usually notice a *slight* sponginess in the pedal. If that's the case, I've flushed the fluid, bled the system, and that's fixed the problem. The first time I went through this, I just kept driving it (at the track) with the hard 2-3 shift. I ended up needing a tranny rebuild (mainly synchros).
Old 09-29-2004, 11:07 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Murdock
Bowtie: What happens when it won't go into 3rd?

From past experience, my 3rd gear problems started with the clutch, and ended up blowing the 3rd gear synchros. If it rakes going into 3rd, or it keeps popping out of 3rd, that points toward the synchros. If it's not raking or popping out yet, you may be able to save the trans if your clutch is working properly. I was running into an issue where I either had air in the clutch line, or the fluid needed a change. It seems the fluid can only handle so much heat before it breaks down and needs to be flushed. I usually notice a *slight* sponginess in the pedal. If that's the case, I've flushed the fluid, bled the system, and that's fixed the problem. The first time I went through this, I just kept driving it (at the track) with the hard 2-3 shift. I ended up needing a tranny rebuild (mainly synchros).
This sounds exactly like whats goin on with me. It pops out only at very low rpm and only when I am going under normal driving conditions. It very rarely rakes. . .and again only at very low rpm's. My clutch pedal has days where it feels alittle heavier and days where it feels lighter. I also notice a slight sponginess like you were talking about. The new clutch is supposed to be shipped next monday, its gonna be a spec 3 with the upgraded hydrolics.
Old 09-29-2004, 09:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

i am having a problem getting it into 3rd at high rpm's only. that is the only problem i'm having. it doesn't pop out of 3rd at low rpm's. it doesn't rake or grind when i finally get it in there. clutch feels the same all the time. Any ideas?
Old 09-29-2004, 10:00 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by A-Bomb
i am having a problem getting it into 3rd at high rpm's only. that is the only problem i'm having. it doesn't pop out of 3rd at low rpm's. it doesn't rake or grind when i finally get it in there. clutch feels the same all the time. Any ideas?
Sounds alot like me. . .Mine only pops out of gear maybe once a month, very rare. You probably need a new clutch like me.
Old 09-30-2004, 04:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

you really think it's the clutch? i would think that if it's the clutch i would have trouble getting it into any gear at any rpm.
Old 09-30-2004, 06:29 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it pops out of third you most likely have a bent 3-4 shift fork. I bent mine and it would only pop out under very light accel.
Old 09-30-2004, 07:08 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Y2KAIR
If it pops out of third you most likely have a bent 3-4 shift fork. I bent mine and it would only pop out under very light accel.
Damn, yeah i might have bent a fork. . . .

Quick Reply: More clutch problems, possibly the tranny?