Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Just learned how to drive manual today

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2004, 10:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just learned how to drive manual today

My brother finally tought me how to drive manual in his WRX. He told me that most likely i will stall the first time in the trans am because its an american car and its a little harder than a japanese car. (haven't gotten the trans am yet) How much different do you think it might be, and do you think i should be getting a M6 for my first manual car? Thanks for any information or comments.
Old 09-27-2004, 11:06 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My SS was my first manual car. I learned to drive a stick in my cousin's V6 Mustang, and have driven a few manuals here and there.

I think it's BS, I mean you'll stall it because you're new at driving one, and brain farts happen, but not because it's "American". To me its easier to drive the "American" V8s because you actually have torque down low.
Old 09-28-2004, 09:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Two quick pieces of advice that helped me to learn to drive stick on my Z are:

1. When starting out in first, let the clutch out till it just starts to grab, then keep your clutch foot in that position until the car starts to move. Once the car's going then let the clutch pedal out the rest of the way. You dont need to let it out in one smooth motion. Keeping the clutch semi-engaged will help you get some smoother starts. Dont keep on the clutch longer than 3 seconds or so, by then, the car should be synced up with the engine speed.

2. Dont worry about shifting fast between gears. A slow shift with two distinct movements (from first to neutral and then from neutral to second) will allow you so slip the clutch between gears. This will result in a smooth shift regardless of how close or wide the ratios are. Doing the shift in two motions will also allow you more time to be sure of the gear youre going into. Its not fun shooting for fourth gear and accidentally dumping the clutch in second. My mistake at first was trying to time my shifts and clutch dumps to get my shifts smooth. I should have slipped my shifts instead of dumping the clutch and relying on timing.

-Tony
Old 09-28-2004, 12:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, I have both a T/A and a WRX so Ill comment. The WRX requires a little more care because the trans. is crap. With the soft apply it is very easy to burn the WRX clutch. The 1st gear has nearly no synchronizer and should only be used from a dead stop.Shift efforts are similar but feel much more positive in the T/A.The T/A clutch ( and trans , for that matter) is much more forgiving( it should be with the high clamping capacity). For a novice the T/a will be the better choice. My problem in getting into one from the other is to remeber the WRX has only 5 speeds and rev is where 6th is in the T/A.
Old 09-28-2004, 11:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for all the information you guys have given me, the wrx is hard to get into first gear, i was hoping not all cars are like that. I'll get better as long as i can practice a little more.
Old 09-29-2004, 01:59 AM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i learned to drive a stick when i was about 8 years old in my dads 77' cj-5 jeep. me and my cousin would just throw it in 4-low and you could start from a stop in 3rd gear with no throttle lol.

me and my gf went to a parkinglot in my z and i showed her the ropes. she only killed it 2 times. the whole time she was worried about breaking somthing so i told her "honey, if i can slam-shift this thing at 6 grand throwing the rear end loose, you think killing a time or two is it's going to hurt it?"

Quick Reply: Just learned how to drive manual today